Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts Review

The Legacy

Feb 20, 2008
Yes, my first review! ;)

Company of Heroes was an amazing game when it came out; it was rather unique, for the most part well balanced, and had a decent (though not completely historically accurate) storyline. I looked forward to the expansion, and planned on getting it as soon as I could afford it.

First of all, I'll say right away that I took part in the Beta for the game, and at the time I liked it a lot. A lot of bugs, but it was a beta and I accepted them as due process in making a game.

When I first started playing the game, I realised that they did a decent job with the game. Although I was rather disappointed that they didn't add another axis country (rather than a German rehash), the new axis side was well done. The 'Panzer Elite' (which is actually vehicle, not tank based), is designed to rush across the map, hit and run style. In addition, a number of their vehicles could capture territory.

On the upside of the Panzer Elite, they are fast, and they hit hard when they do. As well, their 'builder' unit is in fact a combination of a standard infantry, so instead of building dedicated attack infantry, all basic troops can build, including their anti-tank and assault rifle infantry.

On the downside though, and where my patience with the Panzer Elite is frayed, is that they have a ton of weaknesses, which although to a CoH veteran would be very minor, to new players, they are fatal. This is not a sitting duck team. You either move, or you die.

To start, there are no defensive structures available to the Panzer Elite; the only exception are unit-cap sucking defensive 4x20mm Vierlings and Flak 88's for the Luftwaffe command tree. The Panzer Elite also doesn't seem to know what it's trying to do either; one command tree gives it powerful anti-tank weapons and take destroyers. On the other hand, the Luftwaffe encourages camping with their powerful defenses (which are by the way super effective against the US Airborne tree for obvious reasons). And, the scorched earth is a smogsabord of abilities which relate to denying territory to the enemy and securing it.

So, am I saying that the Panzer Elite sucks? I wouldn't say that. I've played very challenging games against people playing as them. The only issue is that it requires a ton of finesse; a level of such that some players can't handle. Instead of being a well rounded team, it's a very offensive one.

Which takes us to the new British team for the allies. They are a very defensive minded side which has a variety of defenses, and a variety of units. They are very effective defensively. For example, on their armoured company tree, you can gain the ability to entrench tanks into fortified positions. In addition, you can get the AVRE mortar tank, which can devastate anything it hits (even tanks), but must be aimed completely manually (as in, picking a target on the ground, and not a unit).

As well, the British has the largest defensive unit selection in the game. It's got machine gun nests, BOFORS anti-air/anti-vehicle gun, 17 pounder anti-tank guns, mortar nest, barbed wires, sandbags, tank traps, and a 25 pounder artillery station (which unlike the US buildable artillery, does not require a specific command tree). In addition, they can also make trenches which give great protection at the cost of mobility. Best of all, they're free, and can actually be left and taken back later (like Starcraft's Bunker hopping strategy, but infinitely cheaper).

One of the quirks of the side is that infantry walks slow and is very ineffective, unless their unit is attached to a Lieutennant ("Leftennant" as we pronounce it :) ) or a captain. Once attached, they work almost overpoweredly. However, catch their infantry leaderless, and they'll die very fast.

Now, I have to say that the British side is a smidget overpowered, due to their powerful artillery (ESPECIALLY as the Artillery commander, who can have the 25 pounders have nearly infinite range with the help of a captain). But all in all, I think balance wise, and the uniqueness of the two new teams (the original two were mostly equals in playstyle and effect), really makes this expansion work.

In addition, this expansion adds not one but two new expansions to the mix; the Liberation of Caen as the British, and "Operation Market Garden"'s crushing allied defeat for the Panzer Elite.

Do I recommend this game? Most definitely (if you have the original). But, do I say this game is perfect? No, but there is no such thing as a 'perfect' game. All games go through a development process where they balance time, budget, and features to make it all work. You can only throw so much money in to make it profitable. But in this case, I think that they added enough features to keep the original game fresh, and the two new campaigns (plus multiplayer) really help the game's future appeal.

For those who own the original and not the expansion, you will realise that now, with the 1GB patch, you can play against those with the explansion. Take a look at how they work and play, to see if it's worth it for you.

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
There are some minor spelling issues which get in the way. Reread the article to look for these. Or, better yet, use Firefox's built-in spell checker to check it. If you're still using Internet Explorer, copy-paste your article into Word and spell-check it there.

I liked how you described the new armies, and how they balance out. You didn't mention the gameplay at all, but seeing how this is an expansion pack, that's excusable. You didn't talk about the campaigns very much, though. Take a little more time to write more extensively on the game.

Don't take the criticism too harshly. It's good for a first review. I enjoyed reading it.

Damn Dirty Ape

Oct 10, 2007
I actually prefer the fact that you went into balance and playstyle, instead of the cookie cutter stuff that you can find in every other review out there. Anybody who's reading this will surely have played regular coh as well, since it's an expansionpack ( or can you play this seperate like the dawn of war expansions? ). He did mention gameplay, balance & playstyle = gameplay for this game since mp is the primary focus if you're buying this. Unless they patched out the armored car spam?

I played coh a little online and before I really could get into the game properly, they patched it to hell. A tiger actually felt like a tiger in version 1.0, before it got arcady like crazy with all the complaining from hardcore micro people. The campaign was terrible and the supposedly main focus of the game, cover, is entirely ignored once vehicles come out. Doesn't the expansion lock Lan play as well, so you can no longer play lan with the same cdkey ( which is a bad,bad decision imo )? Perhaps worth mentioning..
The money/time factor is completely bullshit btw, it took relic god knows how many patches in attempting to balance coh. Instead of slightly adjusting minor things they completely nerf certain units, whilst at the same time buffing others to being overpowerd. After this they wait and see how it plays out, patch again, hence and repeat. They've had the experience and time to see what the regular game was missing ( cough, more actually playeble/balanced mp maps like semois and the one with the wall/hedgerows ) so there is no excuse. I've really lost some respect for Relic after this game and it will affect my future purchases. Personal opinion of course, most people like the game. I just can't stand the historical inaccuracies and strange balance decisions.

Thx for the review.

The Legacy

Feb 20, 2008
Thanks guys. :)

First of all, yes I focused on balance on purpose; if I were reviewing the original CoH, I would have gotten into more detail. But, since it's an expansion, and not a fresh brand new game, I focused just on the balance. I should have mentioned though that the original races were also rebalanced.

On a side note, the only reason I didn't review the campaign is because I haven't finished it yet. Can't fairly review a part that I don't know! :p

And on a final note, I appoligise for the spelling. I was SURE that I spellchecked it. Could it be the UK/US spelling difference?