Comparing Free vs Pay MMO's

Zallest

Sep 25, 2008
This is a bit of a review/rant by me about MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online) games.

I've been around the MMO Block for a while now, I still remember my first P2P (Pay to play) MMO, a little 2.5D Game called "Dark Ages". Ever since I've played many MMO games and noticed many trends and flaws that build in them, so this is my view on comparing the Free to play MMOs vs the Pay to play.

Game Introduction & Start off
In many F2P games I've noticed that they're lacking in strong introduction in the game, I'm sure most companies that make these games can't afford to make a big entrance like World of Warcraft to start your adventure off but it is no excuse to make the game lack in a Introductive Story. As an example, i recently tried out Perfect World. A game i heard was one of the better Free to play MMOs and immediately i was unimpressed. The game started off by spawning me in a area and giving me a few pop up boxes that told me what a person with a quest looked like. To give this game a bit of a fair chance i continued to play and see what the rest of the beginning was like and sadly it disappointed me even more.

Throughout levels 1~12 the game failed to explain some things to me like how to repair my gear and how to identify random drops so i can see what stats they hold, also it unlike pay MMOs did not take my hand and lead me from quest to quest until i got the hang of it myself. Rather then guide me like a loving game that wanted me to play it further it just patted me on the head and said go do stuff, but in the pay to play games like (once again) World of Warcraft the game told me in a introduction what my race was and what our goals were then proceeded to hold my hand guiding me from quest to quest until i left the starter area with enough experience to know how to do all the thing required to play and level up without confusion or discontent.

Questing​

Questing in many games is the main source of experience points in MMOs. In order to level you need experience and money an it seems that almost every NPC in the game has some spare change and a few things that need to be done in game. First lets start with Free games again, I've noticed in many free games Questing is either really bland or non-existent. Some free games do not supply enough quest to level up and others quest are just so ridiculously boring or dumb. Free to play games with no real quest would be games like Maple Story. Maple Story does have quest in them but they either supply no really good reward or just don't give enough experience to really give a damn about them. Other games like once again Perfect World have quest where you are given the task of doing something that makes your character seem like the village errand boy, like quest where you have to go fetch a little girls kite because it blew away into a area that is to scary for the girl to get it herself. Free to play quest are also poorly written, i don't expect much for free but if i was developing a game like this i would take the extra time to at least write some story into the game.

Pay to play MMO quest do not get much better. Games like Star Wars Galaxies don't even have actual quest with story. They just supply you with missions to earn money so you can play the game. There is also Ragnarok Online, a game that is nothing but a big grind fest and no actual quest at all. The bigger more popular games like (again) World of Warcraft have quest that just a step up from Free games. The quest in WoW have one big advantage over other games though and that is that there is actually a bit of story tucked into each one, but the quest themselves are all the same. Repeating the same fetch quest or just quest where they send you to a place to kill 20 somewhat monsters because they have to die for some reason. All in all quest don't change much between games but at least the advantage to Pay games is that they have more Story lodged in them to make you feel like your doing something worth while.

Leveling

Leveling is a essential part of any MMO, because if you don't level up then whats the point of playing? Free to play games are fine with leveling, quest, mobs, and all sorts of things to get you that 100% Xp mark, but what i find most of these games lacking is a sense of achievement upon reaching the next level. Some games like Maple story or Silkroad take forever to level but with every level you get a new skill point to advance your attacks, thus you feel some sense of achievement. Other games like Perfect World or Trickster you can level up at a somewhat decent rate but you have to level 3-4 times to get a new skill. This leaves me feeling that i am not achieving much with each level other then a few stat points that don't really make enough of a impact on my skills to make me feel any better. Leveling in Free games can feel more tedious then others so I'd suggest you find a friend to level with because you can find yourself bored with no sense of achievement real quick.

Paying games are somewhat the same in this category as free games although some of them tend to take different paths. Games like Star Wars Galaxies (Before the combat revamp that ruined the game) didn't actually have levels, you had a profession and you level up a different tree of skill depends on what you want to level, you could also Multi-class and take more then one profession so you could customize your character and make it different from everyone else. Other games like Warhammer and WoW took the leveling up path but branched off from each other at Skill training road. Warhammer took a similar path to Free games and you only gain some skills every 2~3 levels but what they did diffrent was every level your current skills automatically get stronger without having to train for it. WoW however gives you new skills every 2 levels (from levels 1~60) which made you strive and work for those new skills or a new rank of your fireball, in the beginning of WoW it could be somewhat tiresome but with how easy it is to level now you feel somewhat more achieved with every ding.

General Talk & Ending statement

General channels in games have always been a good way for players to communicate with each other over long distances but it seem most Free games like to take that away from players that play their games cause they are "free". In most free MMO games you have a choice of wither or not you want to spend money. Free games often supply a "Cash shop" where you can use a credit card or game card and purchase points to spend on certain in game items. Most games the items are novelty and just make your character look different, but in some games the items will have better stats then the items you can get in game. Some games though go as far as charging you money for a item that allows you to use a general talk channel, i can understand that these companies need money to keep their games going but i think a better idea would be to have a separate broadcast channel for the whole server that cost money and a general talk channel that only reaches a specific area.

As a ending statement I'd just like to say these games have their ups and downs. You can try any free game for free but make sure you research a Pay to play MMO before you actually buy it, or else you might end up buying a game that you really don't like and waste your money *Stares at his Age of Conan Box*. It is also handy to keep in mind while looking at free games that the game is FREE, sure you might lose some luxury but what else do you want for free?

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
What exactly is the point of this?

Anyway, if anyone here is looking for a decent free MMO, I can recommend Rappelz. It doesnt seem to suffer from any of the problems that Zallest states. It has plenty of quests, a well thought out leveling system, it doesnt really have a back story but provides help if you need it and it holds your hand through about the first 10 or 15 levels.

click the link to go to the site
http://rappelz.gpotato.com/

Zallest

Sep 25, 2008
RavingPenguin said:
What exactly is the point of this?
I like MMOs and i wanted to write something reviewish. Not everything needs a real point to it, I just wanted to write it so I did.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
I find that most MMOs, be it free or paid, quickly become the same after some time. Honestly, the thing I enjoyed most about World of Warcraft was the scenery...

Zallest

Sep 25, 2008
fullmetalangel said:
Wait a second, are you kidding me? MapleStory doesn't have good quests? Sure some of them are crap, and they never give enough experience, but the rewards are incredible if you know which quests are worth doing, and all that takes is a quick gander at a guide website like Hidden Street.
Not to mention Party Quests which give ridiculous amounts of XP if you're good at it, but then again, I'm not entirely sure if I'd call it a quest in the standard MMO format of the term.
Party quest felt more like a Dungeon to me so i don't really sort it in with the other random quest, but it just felt like most of the MS quest were crappy exp and crappy reward. Some were good but most were crappy.

Also, about the whole introductions thing, MapleStory has a great intro, it tells you perfectly well how to play. I'm fairly sure the majority of F2P MMOs out there do so as well.
I never said Maple story had a bad intro i actually like the MS starting area the best out of all the F2Ps I've played, but some games like Perfect World and Silk Road don't have much of a introduction to the game.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I learned early on that when it comes to games (or at least MMOs) you get what you pay for.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
fullmetalangel said:
Zallest said:
Party quest felt more like a Dungeon to me so i don't really sort it in with the other random quest, but it just felt like most of the MS quest were crappy exp and crappy reward. Some were good but most were crappy.
Yeah, okay, I've gotta give you that one, but it's not hard to look at a guide to see which quests are actually worth doing.
Isn't that a really bad sign for a game if you have to look through a guide for what is and isn't worth it?

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
Zallest said:
This is a bit of a review/rant by me about MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online) games.

I've been around the MMO Block for a while now, I still remember my first P2P (Pay to play) MMO, a little 2.5D Game called "Dark Ages".
!!! I havn't read past this yet but you're the first person I've met outside of DA that I know played it !!!

Great Game. Had to quit after their graphical upgrade way back because my computer was THAT bad. Started playing MUDS after.

...I'll read the rest now...Sorry, bit of a shocker...

EDIT: Can't say I agree with you really. But to each their own.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
I think the game that pulled people into MMO's in my area was Runescape. It was the MMO for people who didn't know what an MMO was, and it got me into things like WoW. Good times...

Zallest

Sep 25, 2008
Ago Iterum said:
I think the game that pulled people into MMO's in my area was Runescape. It was the MMO for people who didn't know what an MMO was, and it got me into things like WoW. Good times...
I remember playing RS but the game that hooked me was defiantly Star Wars Galaxies, I loved that game so damn much until Sony ruined it.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
fullmetalangel said:
Rednog said:
Isn't that a really bad sign for a game if you have to look through a guide for what is and isn't worth it?
Okay... Name me a game where you intuitively know exactly what are the best things to do in a game. Especially in a game with hundreds of quests to choose from, some of which unlock other quests that you wouldn't know about until you finished the prerequisites.

Even ignoring quests, skill builds, item builds, etc, etc, they all come with guides in any game that has them.
Ok, like in WoW you essentially just run through a zone and find every npc at a quest hub with a '!' over their head, and you can pretty much tell after 1 or 2 zones which quests will be a pain in the ass, example you get a quest that says kill 20 of X, well if you don't want to kill 20 of X odds are you just won't do it. No quest is really absolutely necessary in WoW, any major quest will be given to you either from a class trainer which you are visiting every few levels, or will be around an npc that you most likely see every time you go into town. I have never had to open a guide and be like well I won't do this quest because the exp in the end sucks and so do the rewards.
I think the only time I've use a guide for quests is to make sure I have every quest for a dungeon before I go into it (though with the Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King the quests are usually in the town around the dungeon, so no real need to go and find them like in vanilla WoW.)

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
Ha, I am playing Maplestory right now. What are the chances eh?
It's too bad I'm bored as hell, though.

PrinnyGod

Sep 25, 2008
Just let him play without guide, and you go ahead and play with guides....

Frankly I think guides can make competitive play for any game a lot easier. It makes it so you don't have to try Everything yourself in order to know how everything works.

I'm probably going to get bashed for this, but take Pokemon. Ask anyone who just played through the game talking to everyone and doing all the little tasks and none of them could tell you how EV's work, not from the info the games give anyway. Competitive battling is very dependent on this unexplained factor. Guides are practically required to use it to it's full potential. If you just want to play pokemon for non-competitive fun, then you really don't need to know what EV's are, how to breed certain moves into things, what natures do and all that fun stuff.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
You played maple story.....Im sorry....really I am sooo sorry....

That games has fail from the word 'go'.

rowan-thats-me

Jul 23, 2008
a good paying mmorpg is guild wars, you dont pay monthly, you just buy new expansions when they come out('bout 16 quid a pice) there were just 4 while I played and I played and from the start, thats about 2-3 years, defanitly worth checking out, probably my fav mmorpg. not bad graphics and story either

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
As much as people laugh at Runescape, at least that game had quests!

I tried WoW's free trial a loooong way back. I also made a new character on Runescape a long way back too (I have now moved away from MMORPGs altogether). Let's compare the first five quests, shall we?

RUNESCAPE:
QUEST 1 - Help the Cook Bake a Cake. Sounds like a fetch-and-carry, but it's actually teaching you about cooking.
QUEST 2 - Shear some Sheep. Okay, this is a fetch-and-carry. Not a good one. It is, however, meant for total newbies.
QUEST 3 - Rescue some Prince from jail. This was actually not that bad.
QUEST 4 - Slay the Demon, Delrith. A pretty good quest, with a nice weapon to it.
QUEST 5 - Obtain a magic shield by joining a Thieves Guild, and working with another player. Good story, emphasis on teamwork, nicely rounded quest overall.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT
Quest 1 - Kill 10 wolves.
Quest 2 - Kill 20 wolves.
Quest 3 - Now kill some bats.
Quest 4 - Yeah... go kill X of whatever.
Quest 5 - Umm... rabbits. Yeah, evil rabbits. Kill them. I'll tell you when to stop.

World of Warcraft quests are shit.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
fullmetalangel said:
Point or no point, MAPLESTORY! YAY! The game that totally screwed me over! It turned me into an insomniac drop out but I'll always love it <3

Back to reading the rest of your article.

edit:

Wait a second, are you kidding me? MapleStory doesn't have good quests? Sure some of them are crap, and they never give enough experience, but the rewards are incredible if you know which quests are worth doing, and all that takes is a quick gander at a guide website like Hidden Street.
Not to mention Party Quests which give ridiculous amounts of XP if you're good at it, but then again, I'm not entirely sure if I'd call it a quest in the standard MMO format of the term.

Also, about the whole introductions thing, MapleStory has a great intro, it tells you perfectly well how to play. I'm fairly sure the majority of F2P MMOs out there do so as well.
Same here. I dont play the game now because I got a life but that doesn't stop it from being the best. Questing for xp is only good if its a monster you grind ona nyways and i dissagree with you because i still haven't found a quest that was worth it. Only party quests give exp (and PQ's give lots and lots of EXP). Otherwise you would only quest for the awesome items some quest's will reward you with.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Oh sorry i did not read your later post.

I reached level 34 or so as a ice lightning magician. It's the most boring unrewarding game but...every once in a while i have this irresistible compulsion to play it and only my sheer willpower stop me from falling into the trap. I still love it though.