Competitive ruining Overwatch for me

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Played maybe 8 matches last night. All but one were losses. Which is fine, streaks happen. I just wish they wouldn't happen with quite so many Attack Symmetras, Insta-lock Hanzos, and enemy teams with 3-5 times as many prestige stars as mine.

Also, I need to learn to play/counter Zarya. She was in every match.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Bobular said:
Windknight said:
Bobular said:
I found in both seasons that the qualifiers seemed to have a lot of bad practice going on, I never saw anyone leave a game in the actual competitive mode but in the qualifiers I saw it happen a lot.
Had about five placement matches with quitters, and especially infuriating was that if the enemy team had a quitter, the match would reset and not count, if my team had the quitter it would continue and coumt
I've never had a match reset and not count, hows that happen?
If the quitter quits early enough (before a minute or so of actual play I think) the game ends and doesn't count. It used to only be in set-up, but had in happen in actual play

Sep 14, 2009
altnameJag said:
Played maybe 8 matches last night. All but one were losses. Which is fine, streaks happen. I just wish they wouldn't happen with quite so many Attack Symmetras, Insta-lock Hanzos, and enemy teams with 3-5 times as many prestige stars as mine.

I feel she can be difficult to counter by yourself..most people who play zarya know how to push forward among teammates as to not get caught out in the open with her and save their bubbles until they need them, so it can be tough knowing when to go after her with reaper or mcree.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Achelexus said:
Then don't play competitive? I usually never play ranked in these sort of games, since I know it's just a stressful experience. Unless you're actually planning on becoming a skilled player to "go pro", I'd stay away from competitive modes.
Hero stacking still exists in Quick Play. Which means on many maps the first team to realize they can still 2x Winston/2x Lucio/1x Genji/Fill usually wins, etc. It's not very fun. And you're not guaranteed an A/D round like you are in Competitive.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
and considering that it's a heavily team oriented game it's really not an option to play without a mic (unless you want to lose).
Tell that to the 99% of everyone I have ever played with on any multiplayer game ever. No, seriously, it amazes me how many people don't use mics sometimes. If you're in a party with friends that's one thing, but otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense. Hell, with the Xbox 360 it just baffled me because most models came with one and even if you bought it used you could buy a cheap, yet still decent mic for like $15-20.

Sep 14, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Achelexus said:
Then don't play competitive? I usually never play ranked in these sort of games, since I know it's just a stressful experience. Unless you're actually planning on becoming a skilled player to "go pro", I'd stay away from competitive modes.
Hero stacking still exists in Quick Play. Which means on many maps the first team to realize they can still 2x Winston/2x Lucio/1x Genji/Fill usually wins, etc. It's not very fun. And you're not guaranteed an A/D round like you are in Competitive.
but that's when you run 2x reapers/2x winston/zenyatta and counter them, or you can just go nuts with 6 of *insert character here*

In quick play, winning =/= fun always, if you insist on that, then go play competitive.

If you're getting creamed by the same people, you can leave the match and go find a different one, if quick play is destroying you that hard round after round, then something is very wrong.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
...Did Winston become actually good when I wasn't looking? Because from this discussion and seeing more Winstons in my last disastrous run off competitive (woo, hanging out with the silvers now!), it seems like more people are playing him. I mean, they're failing pretty hard when they're on my team, but still.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
altnameJag said:
...Did Winston become actually good when I wasn't looking? Because from this discussion and seeing more Winstons in my last disastrous run off competitive (woo, hanging out with the silvers now!), it seems like more people are playing him. I mean, they're failing pretty hard when they're on my team, but still.
Its a situational thing. If you got the right heroes, he can be a pain, especially with the abilityto leap pretty large distances.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
altnameJag said:
Depends on the team comp.

Since Zenyatta and Ana started getting a lot of play there have been more Winstons to counter them, since those are 2 supports with no movement abilities or mode of escape.

Winston is good against squishy teams, and not so good against everything else, so it's pretty situational. He hasn't been buffed or anything though if that's what you mean.

Personally I think he's the least useful tank (and the least tanky of the tanks).

His shield doesn't block as much as reinhart's, he doesn't tank damage as well as roadhog, he doesn't do anywhere near Zarya's damage, he can't shut down ultimates like Dva, nor is he quite as mobile, and his ultimate is more of a distraction than anything else since it's pretty hard to get kills with it.

All in all he's basically just good at back-line harassment (or he's for people who can't aim for themselves).

Sep 14, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
altnameJag said:
Depends on the team comp.

Since Zenyatta and Ana started getting a lot of play there have been more Winstons to counter them, since those are 2 supports with no movement abilities or mode of escape.

Winston is good against squishy teams, and not so good against everything else, so it's pretty situational. He hasn't been buffed or anything though if that's what you mean.

Personally I think he's the least useful tank (and the least tanky of the tanks).

His shield doesn't block as much as reinhart's, he doesn't tank damage as well as roadhog, he doesn't do anywhere near Zarya's damage, he can't shut down ultimates like Dva, nor is he quite as mobile, and his ultimate is more of a distraction than anything else since it's pretty hard to get kills with it.

All in all he's basically just good at back-line harassment (or he's for people who can't aim for themselves).
100% this, I was never a winston player, but lately I've been willingly jumping on him purely for the fact every match I see zenyatta+ana+lucio running around in the background, I simply leap over the main line and wreck absolute havoc on their back line, I usually take 1-2 if not all 3 of them out since I can hit all 3 of them at the same time, and I simply bubble and jump back to a safe spot, gotten 3 potg with him since season 2 started.

yeah his ult is still pretty much shit unless you are lucky as hell and have a group of people near an edge.

edit: just as well, he counters genji and tracer pretty nicely too.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
altnameJag said:
Tracer can be a fairly decent counter to Zarya. Be as evasive as possible and blink all around her to throw off her aim, and you should be able to burst her down before she kills you. It's remarkably difficult for Zarya to keep her particle beam on a slippery and evasive Tracer, even if Zarya is at full charge.

I realize though this isn't going to help a lot of people, because it takes a certain type of player to play Tracer, or at least to play her well. Mainly because you're basically ON THE BRINK OF FUCKING DEATH at all times as Tracer, due to the incredibly low HP pool.

EDIT: Other than the above, there's Hanzo/McCree (assuming you can nail headshots), or Pharah (assuming you don't get gunned out of the sky by someone else; Zarya herself won't pose much of a threat to you though)

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I whole heartedly agree that competitive mode is killing overwatch though for different reasons. You see my main issue with it is that Blizzard spends so much time balancing the game based on competitive and pro players that they havnt kept the game fun for your average player. Quick play is for the average player but we dont play by the same balanced rules that pros and competitive players play by. The main problem with it is hero stacking which is still a major problem and Ive noticed that the new quick play meta seems to be running 3 tanks at the same time.

The situation has pretty much killed any enjoyment I get out of the game and I now agree with the people who said this is a game you should only buy and play with your friends. There's no room for your average player who doesnt want to get bogged down in competitive mode anymore.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Every time I see the title of this thread I read it as if ruining Overwatch for you were a formal event.

-Competitive swimming

-Competitive cake decorating

-Competitive ruining Overwatch for Dirty Hipsters

Train hard! Go for gold in the Pyeongchang Olympics!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Drathnoxis said:
Every time I see the title of this thread I read it as if ruining Overwatch for you were a formal event.

-Competitive swimming

-Competitive cake decorating

-Competitive ruining Overwatch for Dirty Hipsters

Train hard! Go for gold in the Pyeongchang Olympics!
Zenyatta-Reaper combo is definitely getting the gold in competitive "ruining overwatch for dirty hipsters."

Cannot deal.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Gundam GP01 said:
A: It's still entirely possible to run 3 tanks in comp.

B: If they have 3 tanks, just play Reaper. Tank-busting is literally his job.
Thats some pretty terrible advice. If you try to dive 3 tanks tightly put together (and they are always tightly put together) reapers going to get melted before he can even take one of them out.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
And I'm just over here, wondering when Blizzard is going to fix support ratings. I play mostly support (because no one else will), and it bothers me that support players climb more slowly than their damage-dealing peers.

So I'm staying away from Competitive until the problem is taken care of.

Glongpre said:
Went on a tangent, competitive is better than quickplay. It may have taken a lot of good players out of quickplay, but quickplay is for practice, so no sense getting bent out of shape over match outcomes. If the team is that bad, try to carry the team with an offensive character or try and be the best support you can be, and see what happens. Practice, and have a little fun. Fun is allowed.
At the same time, I hate this line of thinking.

People go into QP and use "I'm just practicing!" as an excuse to perform poorly. The goal at the end of the game is to win, and to that end, there are people who enjoy playing to the best of their ability and swapping to whatever the team needs. That person hates to lose because one guy wants to practice Widowmaker and won't swap off of it once it is obvious that it's not helping.

It's like the people who insist that Ana is awesome, when she is only good in certain very specific situations, and too risky of a pick when those situations don't happen.

Speaking of which...
Windcaler said:
Gundam GP01 said:
A: It's still entirely possible to run 3 tanks in comp.

B: If they have 3 tanks, just play Reaper. Tank-busting is literally his job.
Thats some pretty terrible advice. If you try to dive 3 tanks tightly put together (and they are always tightly put together) reapers going to get melted before he can even take one of them out.
There's a strategy making the rounds at the tournament level of play that runs three tanks (Reinhardt and any combination of Zarya, Roadhog and Winston) and three supports (Lucio, Zenyatta, Ana). The tanks take poke damage so that Ana can charge her ult ridiculously fast. Then she boosts the Reinhardt and the rest of the team builds ult charge off of that fight, and they just snowball from there. Basically the only time Ana is anything other than "meh".

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
SlumlordThanatos said:
People go into QP and use "I'm just practicing!" as an excuse to perform poorly. The goal at the end of the game is to win, and to that end, there are people who enjoy playing to the best of their ability and swapping to whatever the team needs. That person hates to lose because one guy wants to practice Widowmaker and won't swap off of it once it is obvious that it's not helping.
Yeah it can be frustrating, but when are they suppose to practice? Like I said, when this happens you just have to adapt and see how well you can do. These kind of situations will help you too, if you go in with a better mindset.

Quickplay is for shitting around, not for hardcore competition. If you want competition you can go to this cool mode called competitive where mostly like-minded folks play.

Do you go play recreational sports like hockey and complain about the one guy who never plays defence? No sense in getting worked up over it.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Glongpre said:
Yeah it can be frustrating, but when are they suppose to practice? Like I said, when this happens you just have to adapt and see how well you can do. These kind of situations will help you too, if you go in with a better mindset.

Quickplay is for shitting around, not for hardcore competition. If you want competition you can go to this cool mode called competitive where mostly like-minded folks play.
See above. Competitive is broken, and I'm going to stay away until it is fixed. I'm also not saying that they're not allowed to practice, they just need to recognize when they've become a liability and swap to something more effective. They can always try again next match.

Do you go play recreational sports like hockey and complain about the one guy who never plays defence? No sense in getting worked up over it.
I played baseball for most of my life, and it has certainly colored my personality. Baseball is the type of sport where it is nigh-impossible for one good player to carry a team. In basketball or football (I never played/watched hockey, so I couldn't tell you how that worked), the right player in the right position can carry a team easily. Just look at the likes of LeBron James, or better yet, Cam Newton, who basically single-handedly won Auburn a national title. In baseball, no matter how good your best players are, your team is only as good as your weakest link, and if he's making mistakes constantly, he's going to cost you games. I should know, I've done it myself several times.

Whenever I've played recreational sports, it was as part of an organization. I expect my teammates to perform to the best of their ability, just as I will perform to the best of my ability, even if it's a non-conference matchup. Those games might be time to experiment, but once it becomes obvious that the experiment isn't working, you make the adjustments you need to pull out the win. You can always try again with the next cupcake.

The whole point of this game isn't to play whatever you want. The point is to work with your team and swap to whatever would be most effective at countering the other team's composition. That's why Blizzard lets you swap heroes on the fly, unlike other MOBAs when you are locked into the hero you chose until the match is over.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I really wish they'd put a 1-hero limit into quickplay. Because the game is now balanced around having that 1-hero limit, so any game mode that doesn't have it automatically has severe balance issues.
Try going up against a team of 6 Winstons or 6 Torbs, and see how well you do, regardless of the hero you pick.

And yes, I know it's going to cause saltiness, when you have multiple insta-locking Hanzos or Genjis on the same team, who can't all play the hero they've spent 95% of their Overwatch game time playing. But perhaps that's exactly what's needed in quickplay, - it might force people to expand their hero 'repertoire', so to speak.