Competitive ruining Overwatch for me

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Really seems like you haven't figured what you want most out of the game. If you want to just have fun and don't care about winning play quickplay. If you want teams that are focused on winning play competitive.

I don't see why you're complaining that competitive mode ruined quickplay when the issue is actually with you being too caught up in winrate for it. Even putting that aside both teams will be just as un-coordinated on average so it really shouldn't be an issue as far as winning goes anyway.

Also to reiterate what someone else said your complaint about being split up from teammates you get on with is irrelevant. It's very easy to group up with those people post game or send a friend request so you have a wide pool of players you like playing with listed whenever you play the game. I do it all the time specifically for competitive and it works perfectly well for me.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
So, people have been a bit slow on the uptake to realize this, but it turns out that Ana's ult completely breaks the game. And it revolves around 3 things basically: a] Ana charges her ult incredibly quickly, in fact it's the fastest charging ult in the game (excluding D.Va re-summoning her mech, which doesn't really count as an ult), b] the weird way it stacks with armor (more on this below), and c] the way it snowballs the recipient's own ult.

Armor causes a 50% damage reduction against certain types of burst damage, and Ana's Nano-boost causes it's own 50% flat damage reduction. And these two 50%'s stack together, meaning that if you nano-boost a high-armor hero (like Rein or D.Va) they become almost unkillable.

People have discovered that Ana + Rein makes for an absolutely terrifying combination. Rein can deliberately soak up chip damage and allow Ana to heal him up (charging her ult), when nano-boost is ready she uses it on the Rein who then charges in and kills everyone in a sort of 'pseudo god mod'. Furthermore, nano-boost boosts the recipient's own ult charge rate, so a nano-boosted Rein gains about 10% ult charge PER SWING of his hammer. Meaning he can use Earth Shatter much more often, and the enemies will constantly have trouble getting away from him.
Once he's done slaughtering everyone, Ana heals up the damage to get another nano-boost going, and the whole process repeats.

The surprising thing is, there's no way to counter this. It's also taken over the 'pro scene', where the only way to fight it is to fight fire with fire, and just run a Ana + Rein of their own. (There are loads of videos on youtube showing this happening.)
Hell, I've played a small handful of quickplay matches myself where BOTH teams were doing this Ana + Rein tactic, and it's fucking scary.

So, stay tuned for a massive Ana nerf, coming soon.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Really getting tired of being stuck with an attack torb on my team in competitive, to the point I've started calling them TorbMorons.

On the flipside, had a hollywood defence in quickplay where the other team loaded the payload up with thee torbs and staggered their ults so you'd always be facing at least one ulted turret, and I would gladly have re-enacted the end of jay and silent bob strikes back on those three players.

I think the problem with hero stacking is that certain combinations just suck all the fun out of the game. Even if you can counter them (another 3 torbs game my d.va was destroying the turrets as fast as they could lay them down, to the point I complained about their shoddy workmanship after the game ("they fall apart when I play with them")), its just no fun grinding away at a broken team.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Windknight said:
Really getting tired of being stuck with an attack torb on my team in competitive, to the point I've started calling them TorbMorons.
Had a game the other day where we were on a control point map (a game-mode where Torb should never be used), and a Torb on our team decided to practice his turret craftsmanship in our spawn room, ...aaaand that's all he did for the entire match.
Every time I respawned, he would still be in there tinkering with his turret.

Windknight said:
I think the problem with hero stacking is that certain combinations just suck all the fun out of the game. Even if you can counter them
Yeah, I kinda knew I would get flak for suggesting a hero limit in quickplay earlier in this thread, but I still hold onto those beliefs. Even if it's just a 2 or 3 hero limit, it would go a long way towards improving things, I reckon.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
gmaverick019 said:
The game does revolve around team skill, which is great, and forming a reliable team isn't *that* difficult, especially if people are good/great at lots of different heroes, making different team counters/compositions is more key than individual skill level, which is a breath of fresh air from all the COD/Battlefield games that have run rampant for the past decade in terms of popularity.
A breath of fresh air for those who havn't been dabbling in fps perhaps. Here's some other fps:

https://www.twitch.tv/duster_casting/v/43259693

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz-q_GYF8YA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbWB6FJlAL

Finding a team is as difficult as any other fps and playing soloq is terrible.

Sep 14, 2009
the_dramatica said:
gmaverick019 said:
The game does revolve around team skill, which is great, and forming a reliable team isn't *that* difficult, especially if people are good/great at lots of different heroes, making different team counters/compositions is more key than individual skill level, which is a breath of fresh air from all the COD/Battlefield games that have run rampant for the past decade in terms of popularity.
A breath of fresh air for those who havn't been dabbling in fps perhaps. Here's some other fps:

i don't live and die by fps, sure (mostly because I hate first person games to begin with, so it's hard for me to like them before even playing the game), but that doesn't make overwatch bad by association.

Natural selection II = not my cup of tea, not bagging on it, just not my style

tribes 2 = heard good things from other old school fps die hards, but once again, not my cup of tea in the slightest, I only played unreal tournament and quake 2 because that was the only thing to play in school that was easy to copy+paste to all the computers.

the third video says it doesn't exist...? so I'm not sure what game you're trying to show there.

Finding a decent team really isn't that hard, play like 10 matches and regardless of what team someone is on, friend/group request someone you thought was good that match and boom, you have a potential teammate for life because you can always ask to group up with them whenever you're on.

I solo queue 90% of the time and I'm winning more than half my games...so either you need to find out what you're doing wrong or you're just not good enough to playing at the rank you are at.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
the_dramatica said:
gmaverick019 said:

Eh, I own natural selection but it never gelled with me. It's far too important for the person playing the commander to actually be good at it, and it seems like most people don't want to play an RTS in a game where they showed up to shoot things in first person, and their units don't actually listen to commands because they're real people. Playing solo in Natural Selection is far FAR worse than in Overwatch.

As far as Tribes goes, I absolutely hate the level designs. It feels like the developers just let a computer program generate some random hills and said "yup, good enough." The levels feel like something out of Halo's Forge World, entirely uninspired visually and lacking complexity. The movement system is fantastic though.