Completely innocent things you do that make you look like a serial killer

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I feel so disappointingly non-dangerous.

Uh... I list to Geogaddi way too much... maybe?

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Well, as part of my biology work, I did some fairly deep research on ebola. You know, things like infection rates, mortality rates, best way to maximise infection and location in the wild.

In hindsight, I ended up looking like I was planning to create a bioweapon. Especially since most people just went with the cold or the flu.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Odd web activity maybe, being a prepper might look bad in some eyes. Having a backpack in my car and one in my house with tools(small hatchet, knife and multitool), paracord, tape, wire snares, maps, food & water, personal sanitation and water reclamation kits and in a locked cabinet at home a compound bow and crossbow and a stash of food.

Anyone who doesn't understand the concept of prepping might doubt the philosophy behind it and think it has a sinister purpose, people don't get it as well even some of my friends and family think its odd.

Niflhel

Sep 25, 2010
I went through a period where I only read about serial killers, must have read around 30-40 books. People couldn't understand why I'd do that, they thought I was weird, and more than once hinted I might be an aspiring serial killer.

But honestly, it was entirely innocent. It all started with me reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck, and I came across this passage: "Maybe we all have in us a secret pond where evil and ugly things germinate and grow strong. But this culture is fenced, and the swimming brood climbs up only to fall back. Might it not be that in the dark pools of some men the evil grows strong enough to wriggle over the fence and swim free? Would not such a man be our monster, and are we not related to him in our hidden water? It would be absurd if we did not understand both angels and devils, since we invented them."
It got me thinking - We're quick to praise our angels, we take pride in them, many seek to understand them and take inspiration from them, so perhaps one can better one self as a person. But when it comes to our demons, we try to separate them from us; "He's not human, he's a beast!" we say. To truly understand our angels, we got to study our demons, because how can one understand goodness, if one doesn't recognize the evilness within us? We should seek to understand our demons, so we do not end up walking down the same path that they did.
So i started to read a lot about serial killers, to learn what I could about these people. And quickly I realized that these demon have a lot in common with you and i - Most are not hateful mudermachines that strikes at anything that moves. Indeed, we have so much in common with them, that many of them are perfectly capable of blending into our society.
There's no single reason why these demons walk the path of evil, but it's safe to say it's not entirely their own fault for ending up on that path. Often, they have had evil done to themselves from family, friends and society in general. Some struggle to find their place within society, and often end up feeling rejected.
Many times there's a certain rationale behind the way that they act. Their train of thought isn't harder to understand than, say, many conspiracy theorists. They strike out at those who have, or represent those who have, wronged them. A classic example is Ted Bundy going after young women from the upper middle class - All his life, Ted Bundy wanted to be a part of the upper middle class. But no matter what he did, he could never achieve that status, but he certainly felt he deserved it. So he ended up feeling rejected - And therefor sought to punish this group of people, by taking away their most valuable thing - young women. Another one is Mark Essex (who was a spree killer though, not a serial killer) - He was an African-American who grew up in a small town where there wasn't a lot of racism. After joining the navy in 1969, he experienced racism on a grand scale. This eventually pushed him over the edge, and he took out his anger on Caucasians (primarily police officers) in L.A.

After having read all those books, I felt I had learned a lot about what it means to be human. The most important, but obvious, lesson I walked away with was: Both our angels and demons have capacity for good and evil within them.

... Well, I honestly didn't intend to ramble on for so long. But hey, the topic at least had serial killer in it, so it wasn't entirely off-topic!

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
While not a serial killer, let's just say i hope the NSA doesn't have any record of the teamspeak chats i've had with my friends.
Numerous Al Qaeda references and murder plot are not uncommon.
Also their vocabulary would have been colored a bit by our imaginative language usage.

Thinking of it, he hasn't been on teamspeak all day.

Although i am now seriously screwed since i shared this with yall if they read this.

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
Where to begin...?

I'm not very social which already sets me apart. Secondly I dress in almost all black. Although the real big one is that I am aware of how shady our great government is and I openly challenge it. Oh and also I can say some pretty messed up stuff that sounds like a serial killer's pattern.

Wow even this description makes me look suspicious to people who can't even see me. Perhaps I should really change some of my habits...or keep them to mess with people. :p

ThatQuietGuy

May 22, 2013
I don't talk much and sometimes it makes people very unsettled around me, a cousin I rarely see said I looked like a hitman when I was wearing a suit at a funeral.

quinquecirrha

Jun 5, 2013
There was an incident in high school where I was accused of making a hit list. I was killing time with some friends, and we were all making fun of each other. After a few jokes at my expense, I said something to the effect of, "I don't know which of you I hate most right now." They began to list reasons why I should dislike them, and I eventually wrote their names in order of who made the best points. Now, in hindsight I understand that having this conversation in the middle of history class was probably a mistake. Someone overheard me say that I was making a list of who I hated most, and the next day people start asking me if I'm making a hit list. Word of it spread faster than I could explain, and it was my senior year anyway, so I just decided to wait it out and let people think I was homicidal for the rest of the year. As far as I know, most of my class still thinks I was planning a spree killing. Should make the reunion interesting, at least.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i pity those who look though my search results.
is stalking women on the bus serial killer enough? i know when and where certain women will get on and off a bus, where they prefer to sit and so on.

Sometimes my shopping list will look.... lets say.... untraditional. and i saw strange looks from shopkeepers.

Sometimes i adjust the route im taking to get somewhere just so i can follow a certain person. im not going backwards or anything, but if there are 3 possible routes, ill take the one hes taking.

Also does trying to buy chloroform constitute a serial killer? its used in medicine too you know. its banned in my country though :(

i have written down a multitude (thing - more than 10) ways of murdering humans. there is A LOT of ways to do that, most authors seem to lack imagination there though.

there is more but im already on a final warning on this site :p

Zhukov said:
I used to go jogging at night, mostly so fewer people would see me sweating my majestic bulk along the track. One night I came galloping up behind a couple of young women going in the same direction. They heard me, turned, saw me coming, decided that some guy going for a jog constituted a defcon 2 situation and promptly started squealing their little heads off. One of them nearly fell into the river.
a man chasing two women in the middle of the night. yeah i can see thier position.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Sometimes its stuff I research for arguments, though I tend to treat that with caution unless it was about a historical hot topic or something else you learn in school. I have social anxiety and stay home unless I absolutely need to go outside, but at least if I do its during the daytime. I also didn't grow up in the US, even though I'm a citizen, so I didn't know not having a credit card(history) or not using federal loans for school is weird over here, and anything tax related gets me strange looks until I explain. The longer explanation for the previous point is because in The Bahamas the accepted method of payment is cash or check (major banks can get confused if you ask about debit cards because you only get ATM Client cards and credit cards and mostly because they don't produce them. And credit cards are for if you REALLY like shopping online or in other countries, otherwise you pay for things upfront or in increments), schooling is paid for out of pocket or with grants or scholarships if you can't afford it and we don't have taxes because we still follow many English ways of governing ourselves. Nothing else comes to mind and everything else is fine.