Completing Video Games

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
the only 2 games that i own that i havnt finished yet are tom clancys ghost recon advanced warfighter which i got in that xbox live sale, its an okay game but it gets boring quite easily and MGS peace walker HD because while its a good game its just missing most of the things that made the other games in the series amazing. such as the boss battles, theyre boring mech fights whereas in the previous games they were memorable human fights! ill finish it soon though

dillinger88

Jan 6, 2010
I don't have any statistics of how many games I own/have played/completed, but I play games for enjoyment. Thus, If I stop enjoying a game, I stop playing it.

I understand why people want to 100% every game or even just force themselves to finish a story, even if it's bad. Especially if you've paid full price for it! But for me, turning a game into a chore is the fastest way for me to recess into gaming fatigue.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Jedoro said:
I'll stop playing a game if I get to a part that pisses me off, but most times I'll go back later and finish. Right now I've got The Witcher I and II waiting. Bought II first, went and bought I before I got too far, something in I pissed me off, and now they're both waiting. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and enjoyed what I've played, but I keep getting drawn back to Fallout: New Vegas. 250+ hours.
I'm the same way. Though if I get really stuck, it's pretty hard for me to get back into it.

Probably the only exception to that was Final Fantasy Tactics A2. After getting stuck on a boss, I didn't touch it for months. When I finally tried again, I not only beat the boss, but went on to beat the game. One of the best games I ever played.

That said, I'm surprised people don't often finish games. It... kinda blows my mind.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
viranimus said:
......people dont finish the games they start? You mean bad games, right? no? Broken games? no

People actually pay money, start playing a game that they like and simply dont finish it?

So this generation not only defends the 60$ price model by willingly allowing publishers try to kill the used market expecting everyone to buy new, but wont even finish a game they paid full price for?
There are different reasons for it. Here's a few of mine;

1 - From Dust - Bought it when it was on a deal with Bastion, but it failed to hold my interest all the way through, and I got bored. I've still got it installed, and may finish it someday.

2 - Kingdoms of Amalur - I actually started off really liking this game. The combat was fun and fast, the world was colourful and each area was unique. Then the game started to feel like a grindfest. Get given quest to kill X number of monsters, get better gear, move to next area, repeat. And when I looked at just how much of the game I hadn't yet explored I just lost interest. Again, it's still installed, and I fully intend to go back and finish it, just when I have nothing else.

3 - Mirrors Edge - I bought this because I like the idea, I can appreciate when people try new ideas. It just didn't work for me. For a parkour game it was just far too linear, and this game really did not need those awful combat sections. Again, I just got bored, and again, I do intend to finish it, eventually.

Basically, to sum up, if a game fails to interest me I don't feel compelled to finish it. I have plenty of other, far more interesting games that I could be playing instead.
I've already wasted my money, why waste my time as well?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
WaysideMaze said:
viranimus said:
......people dont finish the games they start? You mean bad games, right? no? Broken games? no

People actually pay money, start playing a game that they like and simply dont finish it?

So this generation not only defends the 60$ price model by willingly allowing publishers try to kill the used market expecting everyone to buy new, but wont even finish a game they paid full price for?
There are different reasons for it. Here's a few of mine;

1 - From Dust - Bought it when it was on a deal with Bastion, but it failed to hold my interest all the way through, and I got bored. I've still got it installed, and may finish it someday.

2 - Kingdoms of Amalur - I actually started off really liking this game. The combat was fun and fast, the world was colourful and each area was unique. Then the game started to feel like a grindfest. Get given quest to kill X number of monsters, get better gear, move to next area, repeat. And when I looked at just how much of the game I hadn't yet explored I just lost interest. Again, it's still installed, and I fully intend to go back and finish it, just when I have nothing else.

3 - Mirrors Edge - I bought this because I like the idea, I can appreciate when people try new ideas. It just didn't work for me. For a parkour game it was just far too linear, and this game really did not need those awful combat sections. Again, I just got bored, and again, I do intend to finish it, eventually.

Basically, to sum up, if a game fails to interest me I don't feel compelled to finish it. I have plenty of other, far more interesting games that I could be playing instead.
I've already wasted my money, why waste my time as well?
Fair enough, though....

Ok I cannot speak for Amalur because I have yet to play it. However From Dust is a pathetic horrible excuse for a game. Mirrors edge while its intentions were good its method of delivery lacked a degree of polish greatly needed. Now if Amalur is as you said one that turns into a grind fest, that is a failing of development. I think thats pretty much covered under where I said Bad games.

Might not be BAD bad... but massive design flaws or out and out bad game play is bad.

If youve already wasted your money... then stopping playing is only going to ensure your money is completely wasted. Even working your way through a bad game is better than a good day at say, work/school. So there are plenty of worse things you could be doing.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
makes me think peopel don't really care...and probably why they half ass alot of endings

if I like a game enough I will finish it...out of pure obligation

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: 42% (Only 23% managed to save Malick, you monsters.)
I saved her...took my a while though..and I would have been fucked if I couldn't kill anyone because god, you have to get those guys o(and the robot) out of action [i/]fast[/i]

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Darksiders. I stopped playing it a while back cause I was stuck, and I sold it. After I saw it fairly cheap at Gamestop, I decided I'd finish it. But I erased the memory so I needed to start from the beginning.

Then every other game came out and stole my attention.

So I'm planning on finishing it eventually, but for now, other games.

Same goes for Nier.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
I have a lot of games that I haven't even started, let alone finished. There are very few games that can hold my attention long enough for me to complete.

T.D.

Feb 9, 2011
Vault101 said:
Zhukov said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: 42% (Only 23% managed to save Malick, you monsters.)
I saved her...took my a while though..and I would have been fucked if I couldn't kill anyone because god, you have to get those guys o(and the robot) out of action [i/]fast[/i]
I don't know what everyone's going on about. I found that easy. Doing it while doing the no killing achievement. THAT was hard.

Also is it just me or are a lot of Bioware games turning up a lot?

OT:

Every Final Fantasy game apart from the first. Despite my love for nearly every other RPG I've played, I've always hated Final Fantasy. The only reason I finished the first was a mixture of shear willpower and Doctor Who in the background.

The Witcher, because I hate MMORPG's.

Tales of Symphonia, love the game. Copy crashes at a certain point.

Devil May Cry 4, DULL.

Dead Space, because after 1-2 hours of things jumping out I realised it wasn't a horror game.

Metroid Prime 2. Because I'm not a shooter guy.

Goldeneye, original game. See above.

Then there are a few games I started but never carried on.

Overall I'd say about thirty games I haven't finished the main storyline. So about 5-10% of games I don't finish.

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
My backloggery is telling me that I've only beaten 43.4% of my games.

I haven't managed to get every game I've ever played in there though, so it's probably off. I can't be sure which direction it's off in though, so I guess 43.4% is as good an estimate as any.

Some of those are bad games, but not always. There's been a number of games that I was enjoying but I just got side tracked eventually it had been so long that I was either so disconnected from the save that I might as well have restarted, or my attention just never swung back to it.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Oh, wow. I'm not even sure if I can finish the following list. I will add some labels to make it easier to read for you guys:

*=Still sealed
+=Haven't even started it properly

-Batman Arkham City
-Red Dead Redemption
-God of War: Origins Collection +
-Heavy Rain
-Portal 2
-Half Life 2
-Infamous 2 *+
-White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2 *
-Donkey Kong Country Returns *
-Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker
-Final Fantasy 1, 2 ,4 5, 6, 13, and 13-2 *+
-Cal of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
-Assassin's Creed 1, 2, and Revelations *+
-Dragon Age 1 and 2 *+
-Resident Evil 4
-ModNation Racers
-Ratchet and Clank: Crack in Time and Tools of Destruction
-Megaman X Collection +
-Castle Crashers
-Twisted Metal Black +
-Devil May Cry 4
-Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker *+
-GoldenEye
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros Brawl/Melee
-Pokemon Snap
-Pokemon Puzzle League
-Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
-Kirby's Return to Dreamland
-Epic Mickey
-Sonic Colors
-Rune Factory (Too dull!)
-New Super Mario Bros
-Mario Kart (Yes, I know!)
-Reisdent Evil: The Darkside/Umbrella Chronicles
-Final Fantasy Chronicles: Echoes of Time
-Mario Party 9
-Metroid Prime Trilogy and Corruption
-Alice: Madness Returns
-Xenoblade Chronicles *+

That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure there's more. It's not that I don't find them interesting or entertaining. It's just that I usually have around an hour or less time to play before I have to go to bed or work or school and most of my games require my attention for more than just an hour. So I keep ignoring them and I stick instead to games that I can play for a small amount of time and find them fun like Gotham City Impostors or Minecraft. :l

I'm a gameaholic, I know! I already have like another bunch of games I really wanna get (Fable, The Last Story, MGR Revengeance, God of War Acencion, AC3). I rarely sell my games unless they're just too dull and they crush my expectations (GTA4, Rogue Galaxy, Skyrim, MvC3, Brutal Legends, etc). So I'm not getting rid of all those games. I have the prequels of most of those games that have a sequel and I've also finished those so I do intend on playing them someday.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Lost Planet, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Far Cry 2, Little Big Planet 2, maybe a few more. The only games I don't finish are usually just boring as fuck.

Except for Demon's Souls. I never got past Allant.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
I finish all of the games I play, even if it takes me multiple playthroughs in order to build up the desire.

Far Cry 2 was brutal to play through entirely, but I fucking did it. 4 Goddamn rentals.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Tenmar said:
ultrachicken said:
Lost Planet, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Far Cry 2, Little Big Planet 2, maybe a few more. The only games I don't finish are usually just boring as fuck.

Except for Demon's Souls. I never got past Allant.
Did you try the white bow method? Where you snipe his health from afar as much as you can before you force him to engage you? That helped out a lot. But the rest is just simply ensuring you have maximum mobility and a quick enough weapon.(If you feel the tumble in your controller you are too heavy)

I beat the stuffing out of Demon Souls in a single week during my brother's Xmas break when he brought the PS3 over without looking at guides. It was really difficult to be sure but not as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Also the class I played was wanderer and used the Falchion as my main hand weapon and used a spike shield(didn't have the silver shield during the fight). Did a balanced build and saved up most of my souls focused on HP and endurance while balancing between strength and dexterity. Also used the quality weapon so I maximized my damage output.

Other than that it is a simple memory based fight where you learn to engage after his big abilities. Stack a lot of healing items and if you need to farm souls for herbs you can always farm world 4-1 and 4-2. Lots of souls in relation to the difficulty and how quickly you can kill.
I never got the bow method to work. It seemed like he always just jumped forward and began the murdering before I could make a serious dent. I stood near the top of the stairs; as far away as I could be while still having an angle on him.

The problem is that my build was based around faith/melee, which normally destroys practically anything the game throws at me, except for this one boss, because of his resistance to magic damage and tough melee attacks (not to mention the level-drain punch).

Devilskins

Mar 5, 2012
I only finish games if they manage to keep me interested all the way through, either with the main storyline or with decent gameplay.

One example of this recently would be Metal Gear Solid 4, I could not and would not stop playing that game as both the story and gameplay were great, while on the other hand I have Lost Planet 2 which could only hold my intrest for an hour.

I suppose I'm just picky with what I finish. xD