Computer Built in Minecraft Has RAM, Performs Division

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Computer Built in Minecraft Has RAM, Performs Division

The CPU built with redstone circuitry can load code into its RAM and even print results on a screen.

Last October, I showed you guys a simple CPU [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104029-Player-Creates-Working-Computer-in-Minecraft] that a user named "theinternetftw" created in Minecraft that used torches to ignite redstone wires to add numbers and output that information as binary code. Now, a Minecraft player known as Salaja has created an even more complex machine that is capable of loading 16 lines of code into its RAM, and then performing operations before displaying the results on a screen in hexadecimal notation. In one example video, Salaja loads the "division program" and then successfully divides 9 by 5. The only downfall is that the computation takes a little while for the charge on the redstone to travel, but Salaja's home-designed computer within a computer game is still quite a mind-boggling feat.

"I only had a basic understanding of logic gates, flipflops, and adders before starting this project," Salaja said when asked how he learned all this jiggery-pokery. "I built it step by step, adding whatever I thought it need. I didn't follow any existing cpu architecture, so it is possible that mine is completely unique."

The entire computer took over a month of real time for Salaja to complete. It took a lot of trial and error, but he may have come up with a way to build Minecraft CPUs (I can't believe that's actually a term now) in a new way. Not all of it was easy. "Another thing that I've done, but I don't know if it's unique, is that my buses are verticle. This means that they are only 1 block wide, but it does make my cpu very high," Salaja said. "I died many times by falling from the top."

[gallery=206]

I totally respect what Salaja has done and even if his knowledge of computer science and architecture goes totally over my head, I'm happy that stuff like this exists. It's also an interesting idea for there to be "breakthroughs" in fake computer building within a computer game. Will we start to see competing designs? Will there be an Intel vs. AMD war within Minecraft?!

Source: Minecraft Forums [http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1020&t=269085]

Thanks to [user]Tharwen[/user] for the tip!

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
My God... A computer within a computer? That's... I don't even know. Ingenious? Insane? Will we make the matrix INSIDE the matrix? XD

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
This seems hard... I really hope he made a private server and cheated to get the stuff he needed. I really think some have too much time on their hands...

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
How long until the computers inside Minecraft become self-aware and begin harvesting farm animals for energy?

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
standokan said:
I'm really expecting a "Yo dawg I herd U like" meme
Yo dawg, I herd u like computers, so we put a computer in your computer so you use your computer while using your computer!

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Yopaz said:
This seems hard... I really hope he made a private server and cheated to get the stuff he needed. I really think some have too much time on their hands...
Or just use InvEdit.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
"I only had a basic understanding of logic gates, flipflops, and adders before starting this project," Salaja said when asked how he learned all this jiggery-pokery. "I built it step by step, adding whatever I thought it need. I didn't follow any existing cpu architecture, so it is possible that mine is completely unique."
This is the best part of it all, that he started off with barely much to know and yet pulled this off. The mark of a true hobbyist.
Much as I wouldn't mind seeing some brain from Intel or AMD strut their stuff in Minecraft, this takes the cake above all else.

Mad Hamish

Mar 14, 2011
Wow. That is impressive. Couldn't help but notice that he had peaceful mode turned on. That is not something you want creepers getting near.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I wonder if it'd be possible to build a computer in Minecraft more powerful that that used to run Minecraft?

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Hot damn, this guy is deserving of a major high five for sheer nerdiness and Minecraft craftery. Guess I'll do the honors:

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Idlemessiah said:
I wonder if it'd be possible to build a computer in Minecraft more powerful that that used to run Minecraft?
can you imagine how massive that would be? it would probably take years just to make.

OT: this is like the inception of gaming.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Idlemessiah said:
Well no, but suppose you build a computer that can itself run Minecraft? Now suppose that computer can run Minecraft almost as fast as the original computer. Prove it either way and you'll get $1,000,000 :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems