Computer Built in Minecraft Has RAM, Performs Division

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Mad Hamish said:
Wow. That is impressive. Couldn't help but notice that he had peaceful mode turned on. That is not something you want creepers getting near.
I'd be pissed if a creeper blew that shit up.

And that's nice work! I wonder if he'll offer a tutorial...

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I think the amount of horizontal and virtical space necessary to reproduce a modern computer would easily dwarf the computer running Minecraft's ability to render it. Simply put, trying to play Minecraft on Minecraft would easily crash the original computer. Or at the very least it would take hours for the signal to get around via redstone, just to jump once.

Zabinatrix

Mar 15, 2011
This comment thread was pretty sad.. Doesn't anyone have the ability to read previous comments before adding their own anymore? I thought that was pretty standard etiquette, but I guess it's just the places I usually hang.

Anyway, for the people saying that it's not impressive because any comp sci major understands how it works: Well big duh. I can agree that the knowledge behind it is indeed rather trivial - for those who us who are already educated in the subject. But I might as well say that solving a Rubik's cube is trivial for anyone who is really good at it. It's true, but why would it matter in any discussion about a person who is not a Rubik's cube expert?

By his own statement the guy didn't know exactly how a CPU works when he started doing this project. He learned that while doing it. So besides the thing taking some Minecraft-skill to put together (it's much easier handling physical components and getting an overview in the real world than trying to see in Minecraft how everything fits together with redstone) he learned some really important digital electronics through this. Both of those things are an accomplishment to do by yourself.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Actually, as far as I can tell from the explanation given by the gentleman who built the thing, this system does not have anything that would qualify as RAM, merely registers. Also, for the record, this device (while impressive) does not really qualify as a "CPU". It has a series of registers (which store data, either catching the result of an operation or holding information being operated upon) and an ALU (arithmetic logic unit. Basically a mass of resistors that perform simple arithmetic operations on two input values) but is lacking an FSM (finite state machine - a device that determines what operation is being performed by the hardware). What's more, it more or less lacks an operations register (the register that sends data to the FSM so that the FSM knows what state to choose). Both of these tasks are present but they are performed by the user.

Now, I'm quite sure such a thing could be implemented (if you can build a register you can build an operations register. And if you can build a register you can build RAM and store an extensive list of operations. With the things displayed here a universal turning machine could indeed be constructed), certain things, like a robust FSM or a seemingly large (say a 100 address word addressable RAM space) would require an enormous amount of physical space within the game and would easily dwarf those things already present in terms of complexity.

So, BRAVO to the man who created this but there is still a lot of room to grow before we have something that truly resembles what we call a computer.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well... uh... wow. Flabberghasted.

In light of this I think I just lost any ambition to play minecraft. I mean while im puttering around my piddly little cobblestone fort, people are programing the game to play minecraft IN minecraft and crafting a virtual computer. I am overwhelmed with a resounding "Whats the point?"

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Wait! Did he say 64 bit? As in 3D?
How much longer until there's a 3D minecraft calculator

EDIT:
I want to see it do logs. and sine, tangent, and cosines.

Russano_Greenstripe

Apr 10, 2011
* flags a bunch of goblinite for melting *

Psh, you lazy bums! Half-dead dwarves fifty Z-levels down did this a loooooooong time ago. The first entry on computing on the Dwarf Fortress wiki dates back to 2007!

In short, I'm not interested in this until I'm having to fend off catsplosions and rampaging unicorns whilst saving Urist McOnfire from stumbling into my booze stockpiles in Minecraft.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Seems like a lot of people here have never heard of Garrysmod. People have been building (relativley) powerful computers within GMod for years now.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
I started screaming when I read the title because I had this idea ever since I learned what redstone was in Minecraft.

Oh well, another possible idea down the drain...
Might as well just stick with carving giant statues of male genitalia out of gold and diamonds...