Computer/Electronic for the Army advice

NateA42

Jun 12, 2014
So I'm going off to basic in a few months and am currently very conflicted about what type of "internet access device" I should bring with me/get shipped to me after AIT.

First I thought and AlienWare laptop would be great, I've never really used a laptop before but hey, thing thing would be able to play games my desktop can't; but then my dad told me of how he was once robbed of his Crucifix.

Then I thought an iPad (the new one) would be great, I wouldn't be able to play "real" games on it but I've read before that there is no real place for that anyways. I currently love my iPhone 6 (don't make this an "iSheep" flame thread please) and for some reason have the wish to get an iPad, it's bigger and I could get a case where I can hold other "creative" type stuff (like this: http://tinyurl.com/n7nw69z). I don't know why but I always feel like that would be really cool to have. I am currently saving up my wages for this idea.

Now Amazon has pointed me toward ChromeBooks, to which my immediate reaction was "wow, only $200? Where can I get one with a Windows OS?" So I looked at the Microsoft Surface Pro and saw that it was most definitely a thing, but a thing that did not have a disk drive nor a USB slot. "Stream everything from the cloud" they say as I put kevlar around my TV wire so nobody can cut it.

I see the three choices I have based on price (hell, the chepo half-laptop thing is one weeks wage) but really can't decide. I have over 100 Steam games but really only need to be able to play my Grand Strategy Games (CK2, Vic 2, etc) and Age of Empires games but then again, in the long run, I could always forsake them and hope Steam is around in 10 years.

I'm not even really sure how much all this gaming matters to me, I most likely spend more time listening to podcasts, reading, or watching Youtube. I most definitely spend more time outside already. Is there even WiFi on bases?

Thanks in advance to anybody who offers a reply and sorry if this is a bit rambling of incoherent. This post rides the coat tails of a paper (go AP Lang) and I will try to edit the best I can soon.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Some quick research shows that WiFi is being rolled out to certain bases via a company called Boingo Wireless, and their site [http://www.boingo.com/press-releases/boingo-chosen-to-provide-broadband-internet-and-internet-protocol-tv-service-at-u-s-army-and-air-force-sites-2/] indicates that only a handful of bases have Boingo so far. Boingo offers a no-contract monthly wireless service, which is probably the best solution for anyone in the military, although it does seem to be a Hobson's choice [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson%27s_choice] for you, since Boingo won a contract with the government.[footnote]Don't ever ask "Who makes this crap?" because the answer is always "Lowest bidder".[/footnote] I can't tell if internet connectivity is being offered for free, so I would expect to have to pay.

Since I don't know what your money situation is, I would wait until after you arrive at your first permanent assignment to decide what to buy. And I don't think you'll get access to your phone until after AIT, so expect to continue paying for your phone for several months without being able to use it. Save up your money before you go to Basic and set up some way to pay for it automatically. I guess that applies to all of your recurring monthly bills like credit cards. And the thought of paying for both a phone and an internet connection on an E1-E3 pay grade is terrifying. You pay for practically everything--only the first "haircut" is free (I think it was free, don't really remember). It's been a long time since I served, but I imagine the starting pay is still diddly/squat.

Once you arrive at your first post, expect to be the go-to guy for entertainment if you buy something like a PC or laptop, or even a TV for that matter. And I know you didn't ask, but for crying out loud, don't buy a car near your base. There's fucking sharks everywhere right off post. And even though there's no tax on stuff bought from the PX, save your money, man!

NateA42

Jun 12, 2014
Thanks. From what I take from the wording in the article service members will have to pay, with there being "options with tiers of higher-speed Internet service".

Looking at it I think an iPad with the wifi+celular option available would be the best in this situation as I would be able to leave it there with no contract carrier so I wouldn't get charged. You're right though, I'll wait until I get my first permanent assignment.

As far as my monetary situation goes I'm still in High School and work around 35 hours a week with a pay of $11 an hour. I have barely any overhead and am not involved with Credit Cards, my bank won't even let me write checks.

Can I ask a quick follow up question? I was thinking I could use this money I had put aside to buy my passport card and book, once I'm in the service would I get them for free or only if I am ordered to?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
NateA42 said:
...Looking at it I think an iPad with the wifi+celular option available would be the best in this situation as I would be able to leave it there with no contract carrier so I wouldn't get charged. You're right though, I'll wait until I get my first permanent assignment.
I like the idea of an iPad because those things are sealed, right? Keep that dust out. On the other hand, I hate the idea of an iPad at garrison because those things are too easy to steal/sell/pawn/throw out a window as a "joke".

As far as my monetary situation goes I'm still in High School and work around 35 hours a week with a pay of $11 an hour. I have barely any overhead and am not involved with Credit Cards, my bank won't even let me write checks.
I know you didn't join up for the money but you can read about it here [http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/money/basic-pay-active-duty-soldiers.html].

Can I ask a quick follow up question? I was thinking I could use this money I had put aside to buy my passport card and book, once I'm in the service would I get them for free or only if I am ordered to?
I never had to go overseas believe it or not. You get a temporary passport issued to you if you have to travel for 'government work' in the military. It won't look like a regular passport, but then again, you won't look like a regular traveler. You have to return it once you get back to the US.

NateA42

Jun 12, 2014
I know you didn't join up for the money but you can read about it here [http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/money/basic-pay-active-duty-soldiers.html].

Thanks, I'll look into the cost of things. WHat are the annual overheads on base? My relatives have an uncanny ability to not be able to remember anything from their time. I know I have to buy a second uniform, non-mess hall food, haircuts, transportation. I don't drink or smoke (not that I would be allowed to anyways), there a Rec centers sometimes, I guess I would need to buy a new set of glasses after I'm done having to wear the BCGs, that and wifi also maybe subsidised off-base housing. Are there any regular overheads I missed?

Frezzato said:
NateA42 said:
...Looking at it I think an iPad with the wifi+celular option available would be the best in this situation as I would be able to leave it there with no contract carrier so I wouldn't get charged. You're right though, I'll wait until I get my first permanent assignment.
I like the idea of an iPad because those things are sealed, right? Keep that dust out. On the other hand, I hate the idea of an iPad at garrison because those things are too easy to steal/sell/pawn/throw out a window as a "joke".

If anything I could always get a "LifeProof" case for it. Then I'm not even sure if the drunkest soldier could break it. That and I'm good at keeping things like that on my person, do people break into your footlocker?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
NateA42 said:
Thanks, I'll look into the cost of things. WHat are the annual overheads on base? My relatives have an uncanny ability to not be able to remember anything from their time. I know I have to buy a second uniform, non-mess hall food, haircuts, transportation. I don't drink or smoke (not that I would be allowed to anyways), there a Rec centers sometimes, I guess I would need to buy a new set of glasses after I'm done having to wear the BCGs, that and wifi also maybe subsidised off-base housing. Are there any regular overheads I missed?
I wouldn't expect to live off post for a while. You would have to find roommates (of course) and ensure you can show up in time for PT in the morning. But that's way over the horizon. At Bragg, I don't remember a single guy living outside the barracks that wasn't married. And nobody in my unit lived off post.

I've never worn glasses, so I don't know if you'll get handed anything other than BCGs And you will eventually be given a stipend for spare uniforms. From what I've read, you get four issued to you now, probably 2 summer / 2 winter. You'll want more eventually.

Don't be surprised/sweat the small stuff, otherwise it's death by a thousand cuts. For example, in basic you'll probably get ACU tops with name tapes that have your name burned into them. 'Heat tapes' they're called. Once you get out of training you'll probably have to buy properly embroidered ones. Thing is, back in my day, none of the businesses on post could make embroidered name tapes, so I needed to hitch a ride outside of Bragg to get that done. And it was required! See what I mean? Small stuff. Don't let that get to you or it will drive you fucking crazy. Well, or you could just not do it, which would mean disobeying an order, and you don't want to do that.

You might want to (eventually) buy some hair clippers. Chances are just about every guy will have some hair clippers at your permanent unit, but only a handful of guys will have the skill to do a fade with them. You'll be required to maintain a professional appearance in garrison (on base) and constantly paying to get your uniforms pressed is ridiculous. I would buy your own iron and ironing board. And I learned way too late that the best starch for pressing your own clothing is called "Magic Premium Professional Starch".[footnote]with Fibrenhancer![/footnote] This is what it looks like and it truly does leave little to no residue on clothing. It's the fucking best. I wish I knew about it back when I was still in.

[QUOTE=NateA42]

If anything I could always get a "LifeProof" case for it. Then I'm not even sure if the drunkest soldier could break it. That and I'm good at keeping things like that on my person, do people break into your footlocker?[/QUOTE]

Instead of a footlocker (you'll probably have access to a footlocker AND a stand-up locker throughout training) at your permanent post you'll likely get just a stand-up locker, hopefully more if you're lucky. If you're REALLY lucky the locker will actually work. Mine didn't even have a fucking handle. And you probably won't be able to lock the door to your room, but they'll throw a padlock on it when you leave for extended periods of time, plus something like a tamper evident seal on the door itself. I would just buy an extra footlocker for like $20 at the PX.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
As others have said, I'd wait until after you get to your first permanent duty station or at least settle into your living/work situation once you finish your initial training. Also see how your finances are before you start spending cash on stuff you may or may not be able to afford. I've known plenty of guys who lived paycheck to paycheck, even as E6's, because they spent their money as soon as they got it, or it all went to support their family. No reserve fund or anything.

I was Navy, not Army, so I ended up having a gaming PC at home and buying a decent laptop for deployments(Ships do have internet but it's pretty much only good for email and maybe facebook....on government computers. Plugging your own PC into the LAN is a big no-no). Then again, a lot of people just bought PS3/Xboxs, a smallish TV and set it up in their bunk so they could play games on deployment, or buy a seriously powerful laptop for gaming.

One problem is that I don't know what your MOS is and what kind of amenities you'll have when you deploy. Stateside isn't too bad, though you'll be living on base or in the barracks so you'll have to make due with what you have. Overseas....I guess it really depends on where you go. Also, your job will determine a lot about just how much free time you have to play games. I didn't get a lot of gaming done on deployment but tried to catch up when I got back(so pretty much had to catch up on the last six months of games I missed).

You shouldn't need a Passport for anything service related. We had to have one if we went on foreign port calls and we wanted to leave the city but I knew plenty of guys who never got one while in.

As others have mentioned, lock up your stuff. Especially your electronics. Stuff has a tendency to walk away in a barracks, so if you can't bear to lose it, don't leave it out where someone can grab it(and under your pillow counts as "somewhere people can grab it").