Computer froze.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
A few minutes ago, my computer froze while I was trying to watch a YouTube video. I had to turn the monitor on and off, then go to a different window to get my screen to unfreeze again. This happened a couple of weeks ago, too.

How do I fix this?

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
A few questions:
- what operating system are you using? (windows / mac osx / linux)
- what version of that operating system?
- what web browser are you using? (safari / microsoft edge / firefox / etc)
- what version of the web browser? (you can find out by looking at Help > About)

I know my Linux Mint machine hated running certain media files when I first got it, but a few updates later it started playing them better.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Also, the YouTube video I was trying to watch was still playing, because I could hear the sound from the video, it just wasn't moving.

I guess that's not really "freezing", is it?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The first thing I would do is try rebooting the graphics driver, you can easily do that by just pressing the 'Windows key+ctrl+shift+B' It kinda sounds like it might have been a driver crash that the driver recovered from but the chrome window was still frozen.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Try updating the graphics driver and/or try a different browser, Firefox is one of the few non-chromium browsers nowadays if it's a specific chromium issue.

Also try closing out all other programs as I have a sound DPS program (Bongiovi) that will occasionally cause Youtube and other internet videos to not play for whatever reason and closing that out fixes the issue.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Try updating the graphics driver and/or try a different browser, Firefox is one of the few non-chromium browsers nowadays if it's a specific chromium issue.

Also try closing out all other programs as I have a sound DPS program (Bongiovi) that will occasionally cause Youtube and other internet videos to not play for whatever reason and closing that out fixes the issue.
My computer would do any number of really crazy visual things, particularly when using browsers and Microsoft products. I have an RX480 card and found I need to check for driver updates regularly as you advise. Vital to not running into these sorts of issues.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Also, I could still move my mouse around, I just couldn't click on a new tab. When I turned the monitor on and off, I could click on a new tab after a few seconds.

Again, not really, "freezing", is it?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Also, I could still move my mouse around, I just couldn't click on a new tab. When I turned the monitor on and off, I could click on a new tab after a few seconds.

Again, not really, "freezing", is it?
I would assume it's Chrome freezing / not responding vs a video issue. If your system is low on RAM/memory, there's probably going to be hiccups like that when switching to the hard drive for added "RAM". And if you don't have an SSD and just have a real hard drive, it will be even more noticeable. I bet when the freezing happens, your memory is at 100% usage when you open up task manager.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I would assume it's Chrome freezing / not responding vs a video issue. If your system is low on RAM/memory, there's probably going to be hiccups like that when switching to the hard drive for added "RAM". And if you don't have an SSD and just have a real hard drive, it will be even more noticeable. I bet when the freezing happens, your memory is at 100% usage when you open up task manager.
Task Manager says I'm at 55% memory.

And I have an SSD.

Could the problem be that I have like 40-50 tabs open at any given time? Chrome is a notorious memory hog, right?

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Task Manager says I'm at 55% memory.

And I have an SSD.

Could the problem be that I have like 40-50 tabs open at any given time? Chrome is a notorious memory hog, right?
Could be, could be, but you'd better get a new computer just in case.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
On a possibly related issue, sometimes not all of the images or thumbnails on a page load, and I have to refresh.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Why do I need to get a new computer?
Looking through this thread, you've been given a number of suggestions on what to try, but no real indication you've attempted any of it. Have you tried all the suggestions made in this thread?
Further, how old are most of the components in your computer? Is it a laptop or desktop?
Either of those alone might help in figuring out if you need to upgrade something or not

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Looking through this thread, you've been given a number of suggestions on what to try, but no real indication you've attempted any of it. Have you tried all the suggestions made in this thread?
Further, how old are most of the components in your computer? Is it a laptop or desktop?
Either of those alone might help in figuring out if you need to upgrade something or not
My computer is a desktop.

My computer isn't even a year old, so I'd say the components are pretty new.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
My computer is a desktop.

My computer isn't even a year old, so I'd say the components are pretty new.
Then it's either a singular component going nutty, a program not working right, or the operating system being a tit and needing a re-install. Either way, all stuff that could potentially be solved with the prior suggestions made in the thread.
Post the results

Reactions: Satinavian