'Computer games keep the elderly mentally active'

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Just saw this crop up on the BBC website. I thought it was a lovely little bit of stuff to come up, especially seeing as we've heard some much negativity directed at video games these last few weeks.

Basically, it's a small video focusing on Hilda, an 86-year old gamer, who claims video games keep her mentally active - and not just stuff like puzzle games; she also plays Grand Theft Auto IV (which she mentions playing with her 94-year old aunt) and Disgaea.

Sure it's no scientific study, but it's a positive story on gaming from mainstream news media and I thought it was kinda neat. Also, that 65-inch TV is a beast.

Anyways, what do you think? Reckon you'll still be playing games when you're in your 80s and over? Maybe this is what future care homes will look like?

Link to story and video = http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21116544

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wait, fucking Disgaea?! Holy shit! People my age barely seem to know about that series!
This old lady is fucking cool. I want to be like her when I grow up. Just without the lady parts and all that.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
EscapeGoat said:
Reckon you'll still be playing games when you're in your 80s and over?
Considering I'm in my forties and I've been playing games for over thirty years (I remember the days of Pong), I see no reason why I might stop just because I get old.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I'm in my 30's now and have been gaming since gaming began so I may as well carry on until I kick the bucket.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I was born in 93, started gaming at age 4/5? I don't plan on stopping. Ever

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
If I can still kick ass and take names on Dota when I'm 80, I'll totally buy a brand new webcam and stream myself dancing to Neva Eva.

GET ON MAH LEVEL!

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
I thought this news started coming out years ago, when they were using the Nintendo Wii in elderly care homes to keep people fit and active, both physically and mentally.

I really didn't expect to see GTA IV there, though. I'm also glad they didn't find the "gentlemen's club" activity while they were filming.

Yet again I have forgotten that the thing about perceptions is, they're so often wrong.

janjotat

Jan 22, 2012
That will be me when I'm older. I just wonder how well the my manual dexterity will hold up. I don't think any senior citizen has a enough dexterity to keep up with everyone else.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Oh yes, I imagine I'll still be playing a lot when I'm in my eighties. Probably not competitive games, dexterity and all, but JRPGs, definitely. That granny is a rare breed, and her grandchildren must be lucky sods indeed. Or not, as she probably hogs the PS3 whenever they're around. I'd say it's far more enjoyable than just watching the television all day long, too.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
janjotat said:
That will be me when I'm older. I just wonder how well the my manual dexterity will hold up. I don't think any senior citizen has a enough dexterity to keep up with everyone else.
That's why I think JRPGs and strategy games would be the best genre for activity like this. Slow paced and not requiring ninja-like reflexes like something in the region of, say, Super Meat Boy. It'd be wonderful if we saw more examples of this.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
All elderly people should play video games. It would be infinitely better for them than just sitting around doing nothing in nursing homes.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
The whole interview was badly cut, she talks about drowning while playing Disgaea, that likely belonged to the GTA part.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Pretty neat story the only problem with gaming that old is that your hand eye cord is really poor in most cases.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
This is why we need an easy mode in Dark Souls, for the elderly gamers.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
This could be very true.
Many old people are adviced to solve crosswords and such to keep the brain spinning and evade alsheimers. Games do create mental effect that is goal oriented so it could very well keep thier brain active.
Im not so lucky though, my granddad thinks that the computer "Spreads radiation" and that im going to die from sitting there.

Capcha: magical realism
You dont say....

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
A mentally stimulating activity stimulating the brain? I refuse to belief this true is.

(I'm not surprised).

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Strazdas said:
Im not so lucky though, my granddad thinks that the computer "Spreads radiation" and that im going to die from sitting there.
You could comfort him by telling that is only true in Russia.

One of the many problems with making older people pick up gaming is for them to "get the point" by completing something in a game. Then again, naturally, watching soap on TV is considered "perfectly fine and healthy".

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I hope I'm still gaming at her age, but what with how gaming seems to be going down the toilet I'm doubtful if I'll still be gaming when I'm thirty let alone eighty.

deviltry

Nov 18, 2009
Old news. Brain is like muscle - you work with it, you keep on being a sharp tool. You smirk all day in front of TV watching that usual old people crap, you get duller and duller.