Computer Hackers Getting Their Own Reality Show

Brainstrain

Oct 3, 2009
Catalyst6 said:
THIS JUST IN! In a record-setting move, "The World's No. 1 Hacker" has become the first television show to be canceled within the first half-hour of showing, resulting in the station filling the rest of the hour-long slot with a rerun of COPS.
Hardly the first. Emeril's Sitcom was canceled before two commercial breaks and it was rather successful in the "failure to launch" genre.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
What, you say that like opening a DVD tray for 12-16 hours a day isn't fun!
Plus, I'm being a bit hypocritical. I really, really want to work as a game tester over the summer. =P

Of course, I know it's not all fun and games. I've been told *illions of times.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Sturmdolch said:
Formica Archonis said:
What, you say that like opening a DVD tray for 12-16 hours a day isn't fun!
Plus, I'm being a bit hypocritical. I really, really want to work as a game tester over the summer. =P

Of course, I know it's not all fun and games. I've been told *illions of times.
Only time I've had fun testing is on indie projects, since the programmer(s) is/are usually very accessible and attentive. Of course, I also didn't get paid for any of that.

Extraintrovert

Jul 28, 2010
Hacking is doing something interesting with code. Cracking is circumventing, infiltrating or otherwise penetrating a security system. If they can't even get the basic terminology correct, I don't know how this will in any way be quality entertainment. Oh, right. "Reality" show. Never mind.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
As a computer scientist I understand that watching someone do anything with computers when you don't know what's going on is like watching paint dry. It may be exciting for some people but most everyone else will be bored stiff. I'm not sure how they'll make it interesting (Actually I do, stupid drama garbage that makes no sense) but I'm interesting in hearing when this show goes down as an incredible ratings bomb.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
WooHOO! Reality TV has finally filled the gap that only CSPAN and watching paint dry has been doing for all those that suffer from sleep deprivation.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Arachon said:
This... Is just so unbelievably stupid. Do they even know what "hacking" *is*?
No Hollywood doesn't .. and probably never will. Sounds like just another time waster to me.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Antari said:
Arachon said:
No Hollywood doesn't .. and probably never will. Sounds like just another time waster to me.
Hey, maybe they could get this [http://idle.slashdot.org/story/11/02/01/1436237/Worlds-Worst-Hacker] guy...

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Arachon said:
Antari said:
Arachon said:
Hey, maybe they could get this [http://idle.slashdot.org/story/11/02/01/1436237/Worlds-Worst-Hacker] guy...
It looks like they've found someone worse already :)

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Extraintrovert said:
Hacking is doing something interesting with code. Cracking is circumventing, infiltrating or otherwise penetrating a security system. If they can't even get the basic terminology correct, I don't know how this will in any way be quality entertainment. Oh, right. "Reality" show. Never mind.
Actually there's different kinds of hacking, I think these guys may be the computer security kind.