Computer makes buzzing noise when I turn it on.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Heard a buzzing noise when I turned on my computer, so turned it off and on several times.

Pretty sure it's not the HDD, because my computer has an SSD.

Computer's barely a month old. There's no way something's wrong with it already.

Heard the buzzing noise again today and the other day.

I don't know if I'm just not used to the differences between my new computer and my old computer that I had for 7-8 years. I'm not used to there being less of a delay between when you press the power button and when the computer turns on, for example.

Not sure it's the fan either, because my fan is pretty quiet to the point where I barely hear it.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Could a wire be brushing up against one of the fans? A few of the cables in my machine need to be checked whenever I clean it (dusty environment)

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The side of my case has holes where I can see the inside, and I don't see any dust or abnormalities in the fan.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It really depends on what the buzz sounds like. I mean the usual cause would be something hitting a fan or the ban being slightly bent so its hitting the side of the housing. If its a more electrical type of buzz then I would be worried about the power supply having an issue. It could even be something hitting the power supply fan, maybe there is something under your case that is hitting it.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
It's more of a ":Bzzzt" sound, and it lasts for a second or less.

What would an electric buzz sound like?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Is it normal for a computer to sometimes not make the startup sound?

Like, my computer makes a beeping noise when it gets to the Acer title screen, but it didn't this morning.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Like, my computer makes a beeping noise when it gets to the Acer title screen, but it didn't this morning.
It can be normal. My pc makes no beeps when it starts up. Whether or not beeping or lack thereof is a problem, and how much of a problem, depends on which motherboard you have and what bios is running on there. You see, every time you power on your computer, it does something called POST (Power-On Self Test), a basic diagnostic routine where it check if all essential hardware is working properly. If there is a problem, the motherboard will make one or more short and/or long beeps to indicate what that problem is. And what those beeps mean can differ from bios to bios.

So, to know if your case is a problem, we need to know more details. Are you still booting to Windows? Do or did you get any error notifications before booting to Windows? What kind of beep did it make? A single short one? A single long one? Multiple short and/or long ones? It's an Acer, but that doesn't tell us much about what motherboard/bios is in there, so when you start it up, before it does into Windows, do you briefly get a DOS-looking screen, even if just for a moment? If yes, what does it say in either the top left or right corner? American Megatrends? Award Modular Bios? Something else?

Tho if anything, you might be better off taking these kind of questions to Acer. Not necessarily their customer service, they have a forum too, which mostly seems to be for troubleshooting. That userbase would probably be more knowledgeable about these kinds of questions. Cuz honestly, without knowing way more specifics, the best I (and I'm guessing the rest of us here at the Escapist) can really do is guess whether something might or might not be an issue.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
It boots to the Acer screen. I didn't get any error notifications. I don't get a DOS-looking screen.

When it gets to the Acer screen, it usually makes a single, short beep. I thought it was supposed to make a beeping sound.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It boots to the Acer screen. I didn't get any error notifications. I don't get a DOS-looking screen.

When it gets to the Acer screen, it usually makes a single, short beep. I thought it was supposed to make a beeping sound.
A single short beep usually means the system passed POST and everything is ok. No beep usually also means eveything is ok. Tho in some bios no beep means basically nothing works properly. But since you've not mentioned any problems with booting to Windows or anything not working, that's not the case here. Could it be it did beep, but you just missed it?

In any case, I don't think anything is wrong.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's more of a ":Bzzzt" sound, and it lasts for a second or less.

What would an electric buzz sound like?
If its a high pitch buzzing noise it might be coil whine from the graphics card. Generally electrical buzzing will be more high pitched.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States

I know there's a trend in motherboards to not make the POST beep anymore, some don't even ship with an internal speaker. Maybe a firmware or OS update disabled the internal speaker?

Try downloading and running some software that can use the internal speaker, just to test it. If that's working, try finding out how to enable the POST beep at the OS level (how to enable POST beep in windows/linux/apple OS version whatever) if that doesn't work, try looking up what motherboard you have and how to enable the POST beep on the hardware level (you'll probably have to reboot while holding one of the F1-12 keys, it depends on the motherboard).