Computer problems...HELP ME!!!!!

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
Now, I am pretty good with computers, know the all the basic stuff and some advanced stuff, but this has just been pissing me off lately. Before you say anything, I planned on using this forum as a very VERY last resort, and I've lost all hope. Anyway, whenever I try to download something or save an image on Chrome, or any other browser for that matter, just crashes. I have an external hard drive and set up a downloads folder and directed everything to redirect to that folder, but it still seems to be broke. I've looked up on broken download directories and stuff, but nothing comes up. I know it's nothing dire or me about to lose everything, it's just really starting to aggravate me. Especially if you've seen a certain [link to=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.387161-Nothing-but-visual-novels-and-old-school-games-from-here-on-out] thread [/link] I've made. I've tried downloading somethings and whenever the show up the title is just corrupted file or something. Please do help.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
novixz said:
Link fixed. EDIT: now this post contains 100% more fixed.

Anyway, do you mean the browser crashes or the whole OS? And do you get the file or not when that happens, basically, does the download finish? Finally, did you try saving stuff in a different directory, possibly on the local hard drive, just to be sure it's not the external one playing tricks?

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
DoPo said:
novixz said:
Link fixed. EDIT: now this post contains 100% more fixed.

Anyway, do you mean the browser crashes or the whole OS? And do you get the file or not when that happens, basically, does the download finish? Finally, did you try saving stuff in a different directory, possibly on the local hard drive, just to be sure it's not the external one playing tricks?
Just the browser crashes, the OS just carries on like nothing happen. And no, the download gets to 99.9% then sees it has nowhere to go. And yeah, I tried both the external hard drive and my local hard drive, and still it just fails to download and the browser crashes.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Do you get an error message or anything? Is the crash instantaneous or does the application freeze for a while? How long has this been going on? Also, you should post system specs, most specifically OS and whether you've changed any hardware recently.

Calatar

May 13, 2009
A. What antivirus are you using? Usually when the file freezes at 99.9%, the scanner is having its way with the file.
This is further verified by the way you get a corrupted file in the download folder, implying that the browser has no difficulty in placing the temp file into the desired folder.
Keep a CPU usage list open, then try to download an image. See if there's another program kicking in when your browser freezes.

B. You really get the same problem with Firefox AND Internet Explorer/Safari? Even though the download directory is set to one of the default locations?
Try Firefox with DownThemAll extension, which can externalize the way you're downloading.