Conan O'Brien Provides Clueless Commentary on WoW Championship

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Well, it made me giggle a fair bit.

Although it would get old if it kept going on.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
I went into this video expecting my hatred of conan and my desire to put a boot in his mouth to increase exponentially and thinking. Laughed all the way through. Btw, I'm a WoW player too (well was. still like the series).

Apr 5, 2008
Very funny. I think these videos he does are quite funny, though occasionally it does come at the expense of gamers. It's funny when he lampoons a game's characters or mechanics, but no need to disparage gamers there. Still, funny stuff.

Drummodino said:
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

DAMMIT! I want to see some hilarity!
Media Hint.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
CarnageRacing00 said:
Seracen said:
valium said:
I do not like this kind of humor.

If I go to a Nascar event and start treating it like a redneck event being viewed by hicks people would rightly be offended. This is a very nasty form of humor; mocking others.
I'd say the ability to laugh at oneself is an important trait. However, I agree with you in this case.

Conan knows nothing about gaming, it seems clear. However, Jimmy Fallon has managed to carve a niche within the geek community, especially with his gaming segments.

So it seems clear, Conan is trying to grab that attention. He really doesn't need to, as his comedy is fine without resorting to such cloying for the easy laugh.

He's just painting himself as a douche, making the obvious jokes, and STILL fails to be "hip" to the demographic that he purportedly is pandering to.
The joke is that Conan is out of touch with the modern age. The joke is that he doesn't understand the things he's mocking... the joke is that he IS making an ass of himself.

Conan is likely the last person to sincerely mock or make fun of people who don't have it coming.
I'd be inclined to agree with you, as Conan doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would do this, as I rather doubt he spent his high school days as a jock.

Yet, I've heard this argument before. I'd even accept it as such, if he didn't do the same thing EVERY freaking time. Either it's coming off as stale, I just don't get it, or he's just using it as an excuse.

Like I said, barring this aspect of it, which falls flat to me, I enjoy his humor. He's one of my fave talk show hosts (I only watch him and Craig Ferguson, with the occasional Fallon).

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
CarnageRacing00 said:
Seracen said:
The joke is that Conan is out of touch with the modern age. The joke is that he doesn't understand the things he's mocking... the joke is that he IS making an ass of himself.

Conan is likely the last person to sincerely mock or make fun of people who don't have it coming.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, as Conan doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would do this, as I rather doubt he spent his high school days as a jock.

Yet, I've heard this argument before. I'd even accept it as such, if he didn't do the same thing EVERY freaking time. Either it's coming off as stale, I just don't get it, or he's just using it as an excuse.

Like I said, barring this aspect of it, which falls flat to me, I enjoy his humor. He's one of my fave talk show hosts (I only watch him and Craig Ferguson, with the occasional Fallon).
I just think, you know, if you watch his Tomb Raider Clueless Gamer bit, or the GTA V one, he's BLATANTLY fulfilling a particular ignorant stereotype, and I have been seeing it as more of a "laugh at Conan because he's clueless" than "laugh at the people who made these games and the people who play these games".
Er, that quote singularity collapsed, haha.

I get your point, I really do. I've seen the videos too. If that is his intent, he's done it enough times to, in my eyes, come across as stale or disingenuous. Like I said, I still LIKE Conan, just not this particular aspect of his comedy.

Just as I LIKE Craig Ferguson, less so the bits where he does the same sort of comedy as Eddie Izzard (although, to be fair, there's a distinct art to pulling off that sort of comedy).