Concept Art Shows What The BioShock Movie Could Have Been

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
I bet this film would have be on par with something like Blade Runner based off those pictures. Very irritating that Ken had so much creative control over this. I would have been better if the movie was treated as its own thing separate from the games.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Gorrath said:
Interesting, I'll have to give it a look. I don't see how you can screw up that script given its potential for equal parts compelling social commentary and plenty of action. Not if you've found a half competent script writer anyway.
It's not the scriptwriter you need to worry about; it's the studio executives who will look at the early proofs and go, "Cut that. Cut that. Get rid of that disgusting little girl. Cut that. Make the main guy more muscular. Cut that. Cut that. Where's the love interest? Cut that. Put the product placement there..." and so on.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
The Sad Panda said:
Couldn't agree more. The interior art just looks bland and uninspired, like Rapture was some sort of mining facility or something, it completely clashes with the exteriors. Maybe that's just the concept art for the lower levels like engineering or something, although when I think about it, even those looked much better in the Games.

Anyway, I'm pretty glad this thing was scrapped. I really don't see how this could have possibly added to the universe. The book wasn't bad in showing the construction and decline of Rapture, but if the movie's story really was supposed to have anything to do with the game's story then I'm sure this would have turned it to a really forgettable movie at best. (probably much, much worse, for reasons @l3o2828 nicely pointed out) Besides, its not like video game inspired movies have a good track record or anything.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I'm kind of glad they canned it. As cool as the concept of a Bioshock movie is, the Rapture in this concept art feels more like something out of Dark City than Bioshock. Other than the exterior shots, I don't feel any of the same atmosphere.

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
Pretty much what I thought a movie version of BioShock would look like, the doom and gloom rammed up to the nth degree, to the point where the movie executives would think it'd appeal to a mass audience. Or just what they think an audience these days, who's into that particular game, want it to be.

Just a little confused why they'd change the bathysphere into a usual submarine. If they could put a usual submarine in, why not just put in what it actually was? Just seems odd.