Confederate Flags in Northern States

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Being Canadian, I see it as the flag for hick country. which I know is a compete generalization but I do know people from the southern states and they are not hicks but they don't sport that flag. ever.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
DeadSp8s said:
Who would have a Confederate flag anywhere? Why would someone cheer for losers?
I own a Vancouver Canucks Jersey....

-m

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
this isnt my name said:
I am Welsh so I am going to say this. WTF are mudflap girls ?
let me help you my good sir!

this shape on a mud flap
I am assuming that you know what a mud flap is.

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
There are a decent amount of them here in Southern Indiana. Once you get out of town most people are either white trash or rednecks, so either way Confederate Flags are popular. They seem to be a socially acceptable way of saying "I embrace conservative values and a failed system of government." That, and "I don't like black people."

I really find them embarrassing. Indiana has enough problems with being historically racist without a bunch of idiots waving a flag from the other side of the Civil War that LOST.

VladimirSirin

Jul 8, 2010
I live in northern Canada, and I see trucks with the confederate flag on them from time to time. As you can imagine, THAT is confusing.

As to what it represents - I hear arguments a great deal, but seriously - it was the war emblem of the secessionist states. That's what it is, that's what it means. And if you fly the flag, you are, most likely, a retard.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Qizx said:
I'm German and the Nazi flag was at one point the flag of our nation. Does that mean that we should still use it? My point here I guess is that I find the Confederate flag something that's pretty damn offensive. I mean how many people do you see rocking the Prussian flag? Not too many because they kinda lost the war.
This is the kind of ignorance that needs to stop.

Why do people find the confederate flag offensive? It has mostly to do with the negative connotations that the north imposed after the civil war.

The symbol of the Confederate States has absolutely nothing to with with racism or slavery - that's what the "victor" has made it out to be. It's true that the history books are written by the victors, and this is a prime example.

The civil war was never about slavery - it started because the north didn't want a seperated Union. Forget the fact that the southern states had included in their state constitutions the reservation to be able to succede from the north if the situation called for it. The federal government was attempting to force the southern states to adopt policies that they were against - at the same time where they were trying to cooperate with the northern states, the northern states were not keeping up their end of the bargain. The situation boiled over and the southern states formed their own union, while being within their own rights to do so. The Northern states (i.e. the federal government) wanted the south to drastically change and alter their economy, meanwhile offering no supportive means to do so. The south simply couldn't afford to make such radical changes to their economy, not without the backing of the federal government . . . which they didn't have.

The north pressed for the war. The south didn't want to fight, and through the majority of the war didn't make many attempts at an offensive. The war was a bout a seperated country, not about any specific regions living style. That was tacked on later by the union to try and raise support from their European friends (mostly France), who smartly stayed out of the whole mess because of how closely tied to the southern trade economy they were.

As per todays interpretation - it continues to be viewed as a symbol of hate and racism, when that never had anything to do with it. Slaves were treated much better than the history books make it out to be; so much so that very few slaves actually moved northwards after the war and after being given their "freedom." Quite the contrary, many continued to live in the south working the same lands as they had for decades prior - the only difference was that they were now paid for their services. Sure, there were some that were made an example of, but the vast majority were never touched. I ask you, what good is a beaten slave? What good is someone who's been physicially impared from working? It's counter-intuitive.

One CAN NOT equate the Confederate flag to the flag of the Nazi regime. These are two entirelly different entities with two drastically different opposing views. The Nazi regime was hell-bent and determined to "purge" the world of those they felt were detrimental to human race as a whole. The Confederate States were simply trying to continue living the way they had been, to protect their way of life - meanwhile being told what they were going to do and how to do it.

Trying to equate display of the Confederate flag to that of the Nazi regime has got to be one of THE most ignorant statements I've heard in a long while. It's that fuddled way of thinking that has given rise to a symbol of heritage and pride being considered a symbol of racism and hate.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Qizx said:
I'm German and the Nazi flag was at one point the flag of our nation. Does that mean that we should still use it? My point here I guess is that I find the Confederate flag something that's pretty damn offensive. I mean how many people do you see rocking the Prussian flag? Not too many because they kinda lost the war.
Minus the whole 'The Civil War was started because of States rights and turned evolved into 'freeing the slaves' and all that'.

While the whole of WWII was about imperialism and this idea of a 'chosen people'...erm, I mean 'master race'.

Also, the Nazi flag was basically made for the Nazi party while the Confederate flag was around, in some form, before the formation of the Confederate States of America.

deathspa202

Mar 7, 2011
DeadSp8s said:
Who would have a Confederate flag anywhere? Why would someone cheer for losers?
You sir just made my day, but honestly I think part of it is because people like to be a part of a social group, but because to be a part of something you have to learn about said group and familiarize yourself with their culture and in fact work to enbody this social group. Now then realize there are lazy, tragically stupid people in our country who have this urge as well, thus an obvious conundrum appears. In turn many of these lazy people become attracted to the social group that is redneck because it requires a minimal ammount of effort to be a part of, in fact their whole culture surrounds itself about laziness. Where does the falg come in? you ask, well anyone knows that being lazy is bad, so rednecks need something to justify these actions, this is the rebel flag, it gives rednecks the illusion that their laziness and unitelligence is somehow justified because the flag they plaster over there ugly trucks unifies them and indicates that their laziness and stupidity some how stir the social order of our country, when in reality they are mostly just stupid fat and lazy.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
imperialreign said:
Qizx said:
This is the kind of ignorance that needs to stop.

Why do people find the confederate flag offensive? It has mostly to do with the negative connotations that the north imposed after the civil war.

The symbol of the Confederate States has absolutely nothing to with with racism or slavery - that's what the "victor" has made it out to be. It's true that the history books are written by the victors, and this is a prime example.

The civil war was never about slavery - it started because the north didn't want a seperated Union. Forget the fact that the southern states had included in their state constitutions the reservation to be able to succede from the north if the situation called for it. The federal government was attempting to force the southern states to adopt policies that they were against - at the same time where they were trying to cooperate with the northern states, the northern states were not keeping up their end of the bargain. The situation boiled over and the southern states formed their own union, while being within their own rights to do so. The Northern states (i.e. the federal government) wanted the south to drastically change and alter their economy, meanwhile offering no supportive means to do so. The south simply couldn't afford to make such radical changes to their economy, not without the backing of the federal government . . . which they didn't have.

The north pressed for the war. The south didn't want to fight, and through the majority of the war didn't make many attempts at an offensive. The war was a bout a seperated country, not about any specific regions living style. That was tacked on later by the union to try and raise support from their European friends (mostly France), who smartly stayed out of the whole mess because of how closely tied to the southern trade economy they were.

As per todays interpretation - it continues to be viewed as a symbol of hate and racism, when that never had anything to do with it. Slaves were treated much better than the history books make it out to be; so much so that very few slaves actually moved northwards after the war and after being given their "freedom." Quite the contrary, many continued to live in the south working the same lands as they had for decades prior - the only difference was that they were now paid for their services. Sure, there were some that were made an example of, but the vast majority were never touched. I ask you, what good is a beaten slave? What good is someone who's been physicially impared from working? It's counter-intuitive.

One CAN NOT equate the Confederate flag to the flag of the Nazi regime. These are two entirelly different entities with two drastically different opposing views. The Nazi regime was hell-bent and determined to "purge" the world of those they felt were detrimental to human race as a whole. The Confederate States were simply trying to continue living the way they had been, to protect their way of life - meanwhile being told what they were going to do and how to do it.

Trying to equate display of the Confederate flag to that of the Nazi regime has got to be one of THE most ignorant statements I've heard in a long while. It's that fuddled way of thinking that has given rise to a symbol of heritage and pride being considered a symbol of racism and hate.
Sorry sparky but I don't quite follow. Germany+ Austria were simply trying to regain the land that was, at one point, RIGHTFULLY theirs and silly poland was only trying to keep it from them. You do realize that the murdering of all the Jews wasn't implemented until well into the actual war. Now I'm not trying to justify WWII or the murdering of millions of innocents by any means at all, however you are. When you're saying that the southern flag doesn't stand for slavery I call bullshit. I also call BS about the south Succeeding for, as you're implying, "Nobel and righteous reasons." That among these are life, liberty, and the oh f**k those first two if you're black! I must dash however I will be more than willing to elaborate at a later date.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
This:
Is the flag of the Confederacy.

THIS:

Is what ignorant people cling to when they try to disguise their racism as "Southern roots" or "Southern heritage."

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Kpt._Rob said:
Imagine, if you will, a man who proudly displays a Nazi flag on his truck, not, he claims, because he has any hatred of the Jews, but because he's proud of his ancestors who fought in WWII. You really want to say you don't think he's being just a little bit disingenuous? Same story with the Confederate flag, if you say you're waving it cause you've got pride in your ancestry, you're being disingenuous.

If my ancestors were rapists, I'm not proud of them. If my ancestors were murderers, I'm not proud of them. And if my ancestors were slave owners, or fought in order to allow slavery to continue, I'm not proud of them.

The Confederate flag IS a symbol of racism, or at the very least, is a symbol of fascination with a much more conservative time in American history. Anything else people try to claim is just an excuse because being a racist isn't socially acceptable anymore.
This right here. Honestly there is no other way to look at the confederate flag for me. It either represents racism and support for slavery or the desire for a divided country in which the South would secede from the rest of the country. Sorry, but whatever pride is in that flag cannot represent anything good.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
this isnt my name said:
Kpt._Rob said:
Imagine, if you will, a man who proudly displays a Nazi flag on his truck, not, he claims, because he has any hatred of the Jews, but because he's proud of his ancestors who fought in WWII. You really want to say you don't think he's being just a little bit disingenuous? Same story with the Confederate flag, if you say you're waving it cause you've got pride in your ancestry, you're being disingenuous.

If my ancestors were rapists, I'm not proud of them. If my ancestors were murderers, I'm not proud of them. And if my ancestors were slave owners, or fought in order to allow slavery to continue, I'm not proud of them.

The Confederate flag IS a symbol of racism, or at the very least, is a symbol of fascination with a much more conservative time in American history. Anything else people try to claim is just an excuse because being a racist isn't socially acceptable anymore.
Well your going to hate most of them...

PayneTrayne said:
I'm Canadian so I'ma say this. Mudflap girls need purty colours behind them to look better.
I would hate most of my ancestors? Yeah, I don't really know much at all about my ancestry, but yeah, you're probably right, it's very unlikely that I would have been all too fond of most of my ancestors.

As for your other question, these are mudflaps

The most famous iconic mudflap features the silhouette of a, well, let's call her a shapely woman, in a pose that makes some of her assets rather painfully obvious. It's used here in the US as a symbol that you're probably a pretty trashy guy. Incidentally, there's almost undoubtedly a strong positive correlation between people who have mudflaps with the mudflap girl, and people who wave Confederate flags.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I'm from a northern country and there are no confederate flags here. Believe it or not.

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
rainman2203 said:
There are a decent amount of them here in Southern Indiana. Once you get out of town most people are either white trash or rednecks, so either way Confederate Flags are popular. They seem to be a socially acceptable way of saying "I embrace conservative values and a failed system of government." That, and "I don't like black people."

I really find them embarrassing. Indiana has enough problems with being historically racist without a bunch of idiots waving a flag from the other side of the Civil War that LOST.
As another person living in Indiana I find myself offended. There's a lot worse places than Indiana, a lot more redneck places. Just go a bit north and even before you hit Indianapolis and Bloomington, the redneck runoff from Kentucky goes down a lot. Be proud ye fellow hoosier!

OT: I think that the confederate flag is more of an idea of the old southern lifestyle. Not necessarily remembering the good ole days when they had slaves. The civil didn't have as much to do with slavery as people like think, but it was a good benefit for Lincoln in his political campaign.

So I guess I don't really have a problem with the Confederate flag as long as it isn't up for the wrong reasons.

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
Skullkid4187 said:
Verrenxnon said:
Skullkid4187 said:
We kinda owe it to the democrats...
Interesting. Why to the democrats?
Think about it, its modern propaganda...what politcal party was for slavery and against the civil rights movement, best thing for both, get the flag in the North!!!
oh, skully. the party names slowly reversed in the decade or so after the civil war. so, what was a democrat's platform then is a republican's now, and vice versa. >.<

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
this isnt my name said:
dex-dex said:
this isnt my name said:
let me help you my good sir!

this shape on a mud flap
I am assuming that you know what a mud flap is.
Ok... What do those have to do with this topic ?
well a mudflap girl is usually compared to as a dis tasteful item for someone to own. Such as a person who is white trash.
After about a twenty minutes looking online to find an equivalent to what would be more common in the UK. obviously going on stereotypes here, All I could piece together is the horrible dressing of chavs and aw forget it here is the wiki page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_trash