Confessions of a Game Shop Employee

Street Spirit

May 5, 2009
One I've always wondered is: Are you always to promote the latest Disney/Nintendogs release and then force the parent who knows nothing to buy it?

Jumping_Over_Fences

Apr 15, 2009
Lullabye said:
How come your store managers are so anal? If they're working in a game store, shouldn't they b more laid back?
When I worked there my manager was awesomely laid back, however, a lot of people think they are cooler and better than everyone else just because they work at Gamestop. That goes double with some managers.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
here in the UK a parent can not buy a film rated 15 for their 13 year old child but when i was about 13/14 my mum bought me Perfect Dark because i as too young to get it myself. is that the same in the US or has the law been changed over here?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I hate gamestop but since you're putting yourself out there, I don't want to be too savage or accusatory but I would like to know how many of the following annoying traits are mandatory:

Are you required to BS with (people I hope are)regular customers while the line gets longer and longer?

Are your regular customers as pants on head retarded as I imagine them to be? Ever see the Monty Python Twit Races? That's what I imagine.

Is it part of your company's mission to to make gamers look like the least savvy consumers on the face of the planet?

Why do you guys sometimes have to check several different places for the game discs? Shouldn't you keep them in one spot?

I'm sure you don't get drug tested but does that mean you and most of your peers show up to work completely stoned? If not, how come they sometimes forget basic things, like putting the correct game (or how about just A game) in the case before putting it in my bag?

Are you required by contract to harass the customer into buying pre-orders, strategy guides, magazine subscriptions, and everything else?
If not, why do most branches do that obsessively and a few don't at all?

Have you ever seen a customer reach his limit and just lunge across the counter to throttle one of your peers within an inch of his life? Do you have a video?

How often do you check the used game rack to see if the games displayed are actually in stock? Shouldn't you have one case per copy?

Have you seen any improvements in your pay/working conditions/benefits on account of Gamestop stock doing so well? Do you at least get stock options?

Do you have a union?

If a customer is naive and asks a stupid question, are you required to laugh in their face?

If you (as an employee) want to buy/trade a used game off the shelf, you get the usual a--rape price or do you get a more reasonable price/credit?

I have more but this is already a wall.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
PureChaos said:
here in the UK a parent can not buy a film rated 15 for their 13 year old child but when i was about 13/14 my mum bought me Perfect Dark because i as too young to get it myself. is that the same in the US or has the law been changed over here?
In the US, 18 and under can buy rated R movies (and I have yet to see an employee card them) and if they are under 17, they need a parent to buy a rated M game. And if you are over 17+, you need to show them ID.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
seamusotorain said:
We don't gte meth-heads, we get heroin addicts. One tried to hold the shop up with a dirty syringe, not noticing the Garda car outside. How we laughed *once the pee had been washed out of our clothing*
Oh, so your irish? (You have gardai...)Which gamestop branch do you work in?

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Also, (Ive seen this almost EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN TIME I go to buy a game) You know those mothers with their Son/Daughter under the ge of 12, but the mother knows absoluteley nothing about how to find good value with games etc, and then shes asking you all these wierd questions about the Wii/DS console/game (Which is what I usually see them buying...there only seems to be two kind of kid gamers: Casual gamer, but plays really kiddy games (Nintendogs etc) or the 9 year old boy who is a total spoiled asshole and buys Gears of war, Gta, Fallout 3, Cod:Waw...all in the same payment...) anyway, back on my original point, about those mothers, how often do you see them, and does it get annoying?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
ThrobbingEgo said:
I'm thinking of working at an EB Games (read GameStop). Anything I should know? :p
Yeah there is, DON'T

Why do you guys constantly pester us about subscriptions, even though I got a subscription yesterday! (That happened a very long time ago, now I just complain to Game Informer customer service and now I have 3 years of free magazines. [No lie])

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
PureChaos said:
yes you can. i regularly buy games for my 14year old sister . i even send her to the till, and then in the rare occasion the employee spots me standing with her and still tell her she needs someone old enough to buy it, i just hand over the money and they are fine with it.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
ThrobbingEgo said:
I'm thinking of working at an EB Games (read GameStop). Anything I should know? :p
Yeah there is, DON'T

Why do you guys constantly pester us about subscriptions, even though I got a subscription yesterday! (That happened a very long time ago, now I just complain to Game Informer customer service and now I have 3 years of free magazines. [No lie])
In this economy I'll take any job I can get. On all the online sites the only thing anyone's hiring for, for the summer, with little inside experience, and without a degree, is cold calling. I'd much rather go to the local mall, hand out resumes and (personalized per store) cover letters than take a job calling people at home, offering to sell them windows and doors.

I also think I'd be good working at EB Games since I'm articulate when dealing with games, I understand the ESRB ratings, and I can help people find games that they would enjoy. I'm not just applying because I like video games and think it'd be like working in a candy factory - I'm applying because I take games seriously, and I need money.

redstar alpha

Dec 9, 2007
In my town (tiny,west coast scottish town) we only have blockbusters and all the staff there are mostly very nice, and there is one guy that is as nerdy as me. My point is that a dont really have any of the problems that people are saying here (pushy staff, poor trade in prices etc) but i can feel your pain since I went in to a gamestop in glasgow and went to buy a game( i forget the title) only to spend twenty minutes explaining that I did not want to blance out my 360 with a Wii (I think I was buying some really violent game). After about ten minutes of being talked at I snapped and explained that I did not want a Wii because I think it is a piece of gimmicky shit that is the gaming version of a juicer. After a short pause he just kept going and I soon left.

Well that was a bit of a rant but any way I should post a question.
Why is it that you have those bargian bins with two layers, which forces people to lift out a layer of games and DVDs just to see what they are?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
ThrobbingEgo said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
ThrobbingEgo said:
Yeah there is, DON'T

In this economy I'll take any job I can get. On all the online sites the only thing anyone's hiring for, for the summer and without a degree, is cold calling. I'd much rather go to the local mall, hand out resumes and (personalized per store) cover letters than take a job calling people at home, offering to sell them windows and doors.

I also think I'd be good working at EB Games since I'm articulate when dealing with games, I understand the ESRB ratings, and I can help people find games that they would enjoy. I'm not just applying because I like video games and think it'd be like working in a candy factory - I'm applying because I take games seriously, and I need money.
See the thing is they don't hire you to be a gaming encyclopedia, they hire you to make sales. If the could get a monkey that could make more sales than you they'd do it.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
See the thing is they don't hire you to be a gaming encyclopedia, they hire you to make sales. If the could get a monkey that could make more sales than you they'd do it.
"The assistance of knowledgeable employees is the reason why customers shop at retail stores. I wish to work for EB Games because I want to help connect shoppers to games that they, and those they are shopping for, will enjoy. A knowledgeable employee can be the difference between between a return customer and an iTunes gift certificate. I am applying for a Sales Associate position."

If a clerk's willing to settle for mediocrity, that's fine. The way I see it, though: we have to be kind and helpful or uninitiated parents just buy their kids and nephews iTunes gift cards at the grocery store. They'll go elsewhere instead of becoming loyal and trusting customers.