Congressman Wants Health Warning Labels on Games, Again

Scott Guthrie

May 20, 2010
Wow some one is wanting to become governor

plus if games should have this 'warning' then shouldn't films, books and comic books have them too because last time i checked they qualify under 'violent media'

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
I can support this. However, in fairness, the label should be followed by "WARNING: Studies have concluded that the previous warning is false." Of course, then it might come off a little convoluted. Eh, lets just call it off.

You can't mandate the use of heavily opposed information, that's just foolish. It's inventing fact, then demanding everyone pay attention to it and view it as sacrosanct.

No, the world isn't meant to work like that!

spectrenihlus said:
Is it video games fault that I want to kill someone over this?
If you do, makes sure to rave about pop music in the interrogations. See if you can shift focus, since that's about all it takes to label something popular as dangerous.

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
I actually have to agree with this guy. It has been shown time and again that there is a link between violent video games and real-life aggression. The more violent games a person plays, the less aggressive they become...a clear link. He should warn parents that playing violent video games might cause their child to be a nice, calm person who refuses to murder their idiot congressman just because he is a fascist.

ApophisMP

Oct 27, 2010
Why doesnt our goverment have a warning label

: WARNING this group contains no Intelligence:

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
SODAssault said:
Y'know, when studies show that there is no conclusive evidence showing a cause-effect relationship between violent videogames and aggressive behavior, you kind of have to wonder why this guy is even bothering. As in, what's the goddamn point? Does he have an agenda, or is he just a gullible asshole that heard "vidya makes people bad" and decided to propose legislation because of it?
I wonder this too
What are they trying to do??

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Live4Lotus said:
I actually have to agree with this guy. It has been shown time and again that there is a link between violent video games and real-life aggression. The more violent games a person plays, the less aggressive they become...a clear link. He should warn parents that playing violent video games might cause their child to be a nice, calm person who refuses to murder their idiot congressman just because he is a fascist.
At first I was going to punch you
And then I smiled
Funny...

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
How about this: Societal warning, an uninformed minority think that violent media are linked to aggressive behaviour despite there being no evidence to support this.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
From what I can tell, this bill only mandates that the warning go on video games. You know what, politicians? Either put the warning on everything or don't put it on at all!

And why, for the love of all things holy, why do they always always ALWAYS forget that the ESRB kicks the MPAA's and whatever the music ratings board is called in terms of compliance? Oh, right, cause politicians think video games are devil spawn and no force on Earth or heaven can convince them that they are both wrong and massive tossers.

*Sorry for being so venomous, but my government is really pissing me off lately. And other state's government's as well.*

Find.Me.Seashells.

Jan 25, 2011
You would have thought that with a lack of evidence and his first failure at calling for these silly health warnings on games, he'd give up! Maybe somebody needs to sit him down and have a quiet word in his ear.

Damn, I'm glad England are a bit more open-minded about video games.

Kasper Gundersen

Oct 18, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"The videogame industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers - to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their products," said Rep. Baca.
Angry gamer mode activated:
YES, I as a consumer NEEDS to know that games like Dead Space and Splatterhouse contains blood! What a load of... I have NEVER bought a game, and thought to myself: "this game is WAAAAY to damaging to my mind, I may begin a killing spree or something if I play this game"

Here is a question for good old Joe Baca: HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED A GAME BEFORE?!
Angry gamer mode turned off...

Back to self:
Really I don't think that another warning on the back will make a difference, even if it's more detailed. If people have a problem with games, they should just check the back of the case to see if it's something that they don't like or if it's something they don't want their kids to play.
Really? Violent behavior? Name one, please...
NB: My own rage-mode does not count...

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Le Tueur said:
WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent videogames and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior
No....It hasn't.
Can we put a warning of "Being elected to a place of political power has been linked to becoming a douchebag, liar and a self serving ************" in the form of a tattoo on his and every other politician's forehead? There's been far more research to prove the latter than his own claim :)

Also, why isn't there a Double Jeoupardy-like thing for passing bills?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Because the label will change anything except me wanting to buy lots of games with the label before the world realises that they do fuck all and removes them.

And dear god escapist. Some of these capshas make it impossible to see the world. It was only outlined in black AND the outline was covered.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I'm not from the US, but don't you guys have more important issues than violent video games?
Also, if there's actual proof of a connection between violent MEDIA and violent behavior (which I doubt), then shouldn't books, movies, paintings, and all types of media be included?

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
California Congressman Joe Baca has introduced "The Video Game Health Labeling Act of 2011," a bill that would require all games rated T or higher to carry another label warning about the links between violent media and aggressive behavior.

You might think it's a little silly to want to put a warning label on videogame boxes that already carry labels breaking down, in considerable detail, what lies inside. But not if you're Joe Baca [http://www.house.gov/baca/], a California Congressman who thinks the game industry is dodging its responsibility to inform people of the link between violent media and violent behavior. Thus this legislation, which would mandate that all games rated T (Teen) or higher carry a label reading "WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent videogames and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior."
I'd be for that if that was true and the relationship wasn't tenuous at best. However it's not true, and the relationship is tenuous at best.

When I first read the headline, my first thought was a label saying it could cause obesity or something that actually is a health concern. (Though I'm not sure how that would work.)

Can at least one district out there elect a gamer to Congress so he/she can talk some sense into these fuck-nuggets!? Shouldn't be that hard, there are millions of gamers out there.

So in conclusion:

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
If Baca can prove there's a link then I'm all for it, so far though it has shown just the opposite. So until you can find a link between the two, this will go nowhere.

CultistRat

Sep 18, 2009
EHKOS said:
Awesomeforthemasses said:
What I noticed is that this guy's name is one letter away from "baka".
Oh cool, you speak japanese too?

OT:Let them put the label on, 360 users may be at peace without screachers, and it doesn't really hinder people from playing. Warnings are on cigerettes but people still buy them. The only thing this will be doing is putting video games in a worse public light than they already are.
Only the bits I pick up from anime. I do want to learn how to speak it properly, though.