Connecticut Town Cancels Videogame Cull

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
its hard to argue that observing simulated violence everyday doesn't effect people negatively when observing actual violence everyday certainly DOES effect people negatively. I don't support the move because as people have pointed out its merely a symptom to the overall problem that comes off as a blame game from one form of media to another. Truly, it is a problem that people will grapple with forever, but the only true cure we know to violent activity is strong parental/guardian influence to craft and shape people into upstanding human beings.

As long as we are finger pointing though (hypocritical I know :p), lets call big pharma out on being the main creator of multiple violent psychosis and psychotic behavioral problems in society. As well as being the sole contributor to the worlds most unregulated and abused criminal drug market that has resulted in death and decay of human society that effects us all daily.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
so in other words, We dont have any cash for these vouchers so yeah we were just being media whores.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I suppose never being taken seriously again beats admitting you were wrong.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
[...] Or it could be - and I certainly hope that this is the case - that it took seriously the argument of psychologist Christopher J. Ferguson, who expressed concern that the focus on videogames could distract attention from the real problem and possibly make the situation worse, not better. Either way, the cancellation of a dubious response to a horrific event is almost certainly the best possible outcome.

What IS the real problem?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Triaed said:
Andy Chalk said:
[...] Or it could be - and I certainly hope that this is the case - that it took seriously the argument of psychologist Christopher J. Ferguson, who expressed concern that the focus on videogames could distract attention from the real problem and possibly make the situation worse, not better. Either way, the cancellation of a dubious response to a horrific event is almost certainly the best possible outcome.

Depending on your point of view, it's either lack of proper care/treatment for the mentally ill, or gun control.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
And once again simply taking responsibility for ones action fails again. At least they won't be getting respect from anyone for a long time... thats good right?! RIGHT?!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Loki_The_Good said:
canadamus_prime said:
I'm more concerned about the precedent the very idea of the thing sets. As I said on a previous thread regarding the thing, what is this, the fucking Dark Ages? Are we going to start burning witches next?
Sadly, 1200 years of evolution doesn't change much. We're still basically the same dumb monkeys then that we are today. We just have flashing lights to make us feel superior. That's not to say we can't learn from failure or history, but it's still up to the person whether or not to step into the future.
Yep, it just goes to show that it just takes one or two reactionary idiots and all of the social progress society has made in the last 1500 years goes down the shitter.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
Triaed said:
I think it is a lack of proper treatment and care for the mentally ill, mental health services in America (from what i've seen and heard) are a joke. i've never been involved with the mental health services here in Australia, so i don't know what it's like

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
money spent: 0
fame gained: internet
win win

those guys are profesional trolls.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Since they talk about alternate ways to compensate people that hand in games I would say it's much more likely whoever organised it had virtually no budget, and they suddenly realised that handing out expensive gift vouchers in return for something they weren't going to make a profit from was a really expensive demonstration.

Hey, money talks.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
thesilentman said:
What awareness? All I saw is unjustified finger pointing. You don't blame stuff like that on video games, you blame them on the person.
I wouldn't be looking to place blame at all. That's a reactive response, the only way to truly come out of this better is to create a proactive response.

What was it that caused them to do this?

Once you have those pieces how can you reduce them?

That to me is the only correct answer. One should look to prevent future tragedies instead of pitch forking over previous ones.

(And of course I'm pro-putting violent people in jail, but each lost life and each imprisoned person is a failure of humanity as a whole).

Sometimes we can't "fix" folks, you can't prevent every tragedy, but it would be nice to approach each tragedy with a level head and try to fix the causes rather than merely eliminate the symptoms.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
Eclipse Dragon said:
"Based on the success of our first two objectives, and a re-evaluation of the logistics involved in the physical return process, we have decided to cancel the return of violent video games on January 12, 2013," SouthingtonSOS said in a statement. "Having achieved our essential goals the return program has simply become an unnecessary step in our basic mission. This action will also serve to reduce public inconvenience."
So in other words "It was too expensive so we're not actually going to go through with it, but we're going to call our operation a success anyway."
The problem is that studies on if violent video games make people are all over the map. The 2001 Anderson study said there was a relationship while the 2001 Sherry and 2009 Ferguson studies showed no relationship and a 2011 Ferguson shows a positive effect. Furthermore a 2010 Ferguson paper showed the studies that showed relationships were poorly designed.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
The Connecticut town says it has accomplished its goals of "raising awareness.
Wait... Raising awareness for what? Scapegoating an easy target in order to avoid adressing a far more complex issue that requires intense attention, effort and may even require changing ourselves?

Well if raising awareness of the effectiveness of using misdirection to avoid responsibility in the court of public opinion was the mission, well then...

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
GamerMage said:
lunavixen said:
Triaed said:
I think it is a lack of proper treatment and care for the mentally ill, mental health services in America (from what i've seen and heard) are a joke. i've never been involved with the mental health services here in Australia, so i don't know what it's like
That,aand some people don't to take responsibility,so they find an easy scrapegoat. Sick of it,really. Here's an idea: Look at the psychology of the kid, BEFORE you jump on the hate bandwagon,ok?
i agree, but people won't do that when there is something easier to blame, something that can get more attention

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Their goal was to "raise awareness" for something they feel is actively harming America?

And they certainly did "start conversations at home", but not the kind I think they meant to inspire. Good call on their part to attempt to bow out with dignity. Didn't work, but was a nice attempt just the same.