Considering getting an ipad

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
My Birthday is coming up soon, and my parents have offered to buy me an ipad as a present. I'm a bit iffy on it and wanted to gauge opinion on the device. Anybody who has one want to share their opinions or stories about it so I can help to make my mind up?

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
It's not worth the money. Really if you tally it up for what it does its not worth the money you pay. Get something more useful or something you really want/need instead.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I would ask them to get you something else. I don't see the iPad as a good thing to buy right now. If you really want one, it would be best to wait for the next generation of them.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
I'd ask them to pay part of a macbook, cause an ipad is way too big for you pocket, which makes it a portable computer, which they already have. so get that, cause it's way better.

jmd102993

Mar 6, 2009
i tried the iPad out a lil while ago, and it is nice, but when people say "its just a really big iTouch" they arent kidding, the one thing i wanna add to that thou, is whats bad about a big iTouch? i mean the iTouch was awesome, but if you wanna think along the lines of practicality/necessity it isnt great, but its fun as hell to mess around with

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
As far as I can tell it's about as useful as a razor-wire dildo. It's too big to be an iPod or portable gaming device like they're trying to make it out to be, and it's not good enough to replace a laptop. If it's an opportunity to get expensive things for free, there's better expensive things out there.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
I don't have one, but a friend of mine works for a computer magazine and he got to try it out for a day. I also tried it for a little bit, but in my opinion it is little more than a novelty. Right now I have a HTC Desire phone and I don't get the feeling that the iPad would add much that I can't do with the phone. The same probably goes for the iPhone. Obviously it will be a little bit better, but not worth your (parents') money IMO, unless you have a very specific use case. I would personally prefer a netbook of the same price.

Cronky

May 24, 2010
The reasoning behind my want for one is because it's a slick looking E-book reader. I can't look at the computer all day and read it like a book, so one would be preferable to use.

Then again, other products do that with a smaller price-point.

If you're thinking of it as a very portable netbook then you might be disappointed. Internet, while browse-able, does not support Flash which is widely used now a days.

While that is only one example, I'll just cut to the chase.

If you are looking at it like a netbook replacement/alternative, then you should opt for something else.

If you want an over-glorified Ipod Touch: Portable Music, Videos, a plethora of Apps, and Wi-Fi capabilities. Then by all means give the Go code.

(This is based on my small window of time I've used one so far.)

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Lots of opinions here, which is great but I also really want to get an impression of how someone who has already bought one and used it for a long period of time( i.e. after the novelty has had a chance to wear off) gets along with it.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
jeejvebe said:
Depends on what you would use it for, could you elaborate?
Honestly, it would pretty much just be for everyday usage. I.e. Surfing, music, videos, email, Facebook, here ;) The main thing is that it would be portable and could do all of the above equally well.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Dr. Ashens has made a comprehensive review, be warned that it's 45 or so minutes long, though hopefully it will be enough for you to make an informed decision.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ashens?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/4/0XTeD8CKZDY

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Marter said:
I would ask them to get you something else. I don't see the iPad as a good thing to buy right now. If you really want one, it would be best to wait for the next generation of them.
Yes, but you could say that for all technology, all the time.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Tarrok said:
Dr. Ashens has made a comprehensive review, be warned that it's 45 or so minutes long, though hopefully it will be enough for you to make an informed decision.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ashens?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/4/0XTeD8CKZDY
Grazi, checking it out now.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
NeedAUserName said:
Marter said:
Yes, but you could say that for all technology, all the time.
You can, but from what I've heard there were quite a few features left out of the iPad that really should have been there. They'll likely be there in the next version.