Considering getting Mass Effect

Lovelocke

Apr 6, 2009
I bought Mass Effect 1 on the 360 for $14.99 used last Thanksgiving - And it has been passed between myself and two friends, satisfying all three of us immensely since then. The core game length isn't that long (which promotes repeated plays, I'll admit this is the only other RPG that isn't Final Fantasy 6, Earthbound or Fallout 3 that I've played through more than once)... but its all the side stuff, moral decisions that lay the experience out to be different each time.

For the record: Chrono Trigger sucked.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
its like $20 right now go pick it up even if you only get 5 to 6 hours of enjoyment out of it thats a better cost to enjoyment ratio than say MW2 with its 6 hour campaign for $60
and trust me you will get more like 100 hours of fun out of it.

SlyderEST

GfWL hater
Apr 7, 2010
If you have seen some videos then you probably haven't seen any about the inventory. I don't know anyone who would like ME's inventory system. The thing is that you got items pretty often. Maybe like one per fight or more. I'm not very sure. And they all took one space each. You had maybe 50 or 100 space, then you could either not pick items up or transmute them to gel which you can use to make medpacks (if I'm not wrong). And if you want to transmute something from your inventory then the proccess is like this: You click on the item you want to transmute, you press the transmute button, you press yes (enter doesn't work), then you click on another item (or it selects itself, I forgot), press transmute, press yes. Now you have 2 items transmuted. I didn't like the inventory system and didn't bother to transmute anything after the first dozen transmutions.

I might be wrong and feel free to correct me, if I am.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Lovelocke said:
I bought Mass Effect 1 on the 360 for $14.99 used last Thanksgiving - And it has been passed between myself and two friends, satisfying all three of us immensely since then. The core game length isn't that long (which promotes repeated plays, I'll admit this is the only other RPG that isn't Final Fantasy 6, Earthbound or Fallout 3 that I've played through more than once)... but its all the side stuff, moral decisions that lay the experience out to be different each time.

For the record: Chrono Trigger sucked.
I agree with everything you said except for one thing and i cwn say chrono trigger did not suck, in fact its one of the best jrpg games ive played, but i will say its sux if you are trying to do a quick run through it, ther is no such thing as a quick run through with this game. But mass effect is a must play game its story is awsome no matter what choices you make, and mass effect2 which is the darker story kind of like the empire strikes back. Buy it!!!!!buy Both!!!!!

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, the inventory in the first game is... sticky shall we say? You get 150 slots though so it's best to just go on a selling binge or omnigel conversion binge every once in a while before it gets out of hand.

Selef

Nov 13, 2009
i played ME 2 first then played ME1 but i highly recommend them both, and yea i wouldn't actually recommend playing 2 first, i was quite confused.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Mass Effect is one of my favorite game trilogies of all time, and it's only 2/3 of the way done so far. Both games are definitely worth picking up, in my opinion.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
No no no don't get Mass Effect 2 without playing Mass Effect 1 FIRST. It makes a huge difference in that game and you understand it allot better if you played Mass Effec 1 first. I once started Mass Effect 2 without carrying over a save and I didn't like what the default choices where.
Yea there are some things in ME1 I hated like the inventory that was done much better in ME2 but still ME1 is a must. Me2 will be still fun but it won't have the same feeling if you didn't bring a Shepard over from ME1

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Get it now. Or get ME2, and download a ME1 save file (theres a whole website database of import data)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I still can't see how people think games like Oblivion and FO3 are going to be anything like Mass Effect and Dragon Age...

Anyway, get both - Mass Effect is good, ME2 is superb, and playing the first makes it even better when you see the effect of your choices.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Definately get it. I didn't think it would be that good either, but I played it and I was gobsmacked. It's actually one of the best games I've ever had.
Saving up for the second one at the 'mo

merelymortal

Jun 14, 2010
Mass effect 2 is one of my all time favourite RPGs. They really trimmed down the content from ME1 and simply kept the parts that were fantastic. The combat can be a trifle easy at times, especially if you play soldier, or infiltrator, but that's all forgiven with the ability to unlock harder difficulty upon completing the game.

The characters are lovable, the universe is vast, but also clearly marked out, so you'll never lose your way. The combat never feels like a grind, and shooting a Geth in the head from halfway across the map in slow motion never gets old.

there are something like 8 classes to play, each with a different combat style, some more difficulty than others, so even if you did complete the game on legendary difficulty, there's still stuff for you to do.

I didn't enjoy me1 as much as me2, but I played me2 first, so my hopes were simply too high.

Oh, and of course, the storyline is sublime.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Yeah, start with the first. It's not perfect, it's got some annoyances (adventures in inventory management), and don't do what I did and try to do all the sidequests in your first playthrough. Sidequests in ME1 are incredibly boring and repetitive. But the main quest is very good. Kinda standard Bioware fare, well-written, good characters, but using some familiar elements, character types and events if you played their previous games. Combat on normal starts a little hard but gets easy fast when your characters learn more skills (I always brought Liara, she CCed mobs like crazy without me even asking).

The setting is very well done, a really interesting sci-fi space opera. I had fun just reading the Codex entries, they add a lot to the setting (including lots of info that is not essential but will not be explained in dialogs).

And yes, if you wait there will probably be a BioWare sale day on Steam in the next few days.

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
No-Superman10 said:
When Mass Effect first came out I simply put it down as "Fallout in Space" but since then i have seen some videos and my opinion has begun to shift.
Honestly, it's much closer to a KOTOR 3 than anything related to Fallout.

Imma' sum this up quickly for you, Should i get Mass Effect 2 or what?
I am a little uncertain if my laptop could run it but The Orange Box works fine if that means anything.
If someone could give me a link to somthing that you think would convince me either way then feel free to do so. Thanks in advance.
You will see mixed opinions as to which was better, ME 1 or ME 2.

Let's start with what is not argued:
Both games have an excellent story, with well-rounded, well-written characters supplied with excellent VO. The scope of the storyline is quite vast, though the games do fall prey to Bioware's weird morality sliders. You'll see, it's not that big a deal.

They are both excellent games.

In my opinion, while ME 1 was, as I just said, an excellent game, it wasn't an especially fun game. I kept playing because I wanted to see what happened next, but the TPS combat was, IMO, godawful.

It wasn't broken or buggy or anything, just extremely bog-standard shooting with several massive annoyances (giant red diamond on every possible target that badly obscures the target's profile, making sniping via headshots practically impossible. Also, that doesn't even matter as getting shot in the foot or the head does the same damage.)

The vehicle sections are notorious and divisive - many enjoyed them for the real sense of scope it gave the galaxy, many hated them for the unbelievably terrible controls of the buggy.

ME 2, on the other hand, is one of my all-time favorite games. The combat system was completely overhauled, making it just a lot smoother and overall way more fun to play. The storyline gets a little odd right away - but recovers nicely, I didn't feel that the story, overall, took a hit.

What DID take a hit between iterations was scope - they got rid of the vehicle sections entirely and altered transit from system to system in such a way that it really does remove a lot of the sensation of being in a vast galaxy filled with planets both inhabitable and not.

In its place are "probing" seconds, which are, yes, pretty boring and get a lot of anger - until players realize that there are several dozen times more resources in the galaxy than will ever be required. You don't actually need to plumb every planet dry. You don't even need to plumb a quarter of the planets dry.

But I digress. The ME 2 is much more of a game game, and Bioware did a great job of addressing the criticisms the first game received - depending on your point of view, perhaps a bit too enthusiastically - but both games are quite impressive and stand on their own.

(I must point out that the combat in the first game was incredibly off-putting to me, it was just entirely too easy and kind of shoddily done. I almost did not purchase the second and am extremely glad that I did.)

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Nimbus said:
Play the first one first. Absolute must!
I aree with this a hundred percent, I recently bought ME one myself and I loved it. It's more than competent as a shooter and the Mako mssions, while kinda annoying, aren't all that bad and give a sense of vastness to the universe. It's also immersive and story-driven as most Bioware RPGs are.