Console Wars, Failure Rates and E3

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Arbre said:
Well for one, I didn't mind the old school gameplay. It still rules when done on coop, and the setting is so strong, that I prefer such games with a very solid identity, rather than games like Unreal which are just ideas from everywhere more or less else properly agglomerated together.
Unreal 1 was very nice ,2 was "underneath the underneath"/ ,03 laughable,04 a make up to the mistake and delay of making 03 incorrectly.

the setting of D3 devoured the game without the level design to back up the gameplay it simply failed to be a good game IMO.Been playing though Doom on doomsdayHQ and damn its got some great level design,all D3 and q4 need is slightly larger levels and most stashes secrets to be the games they should be but as they widdle away at "expendable" extras like level design and fun gameplay.
I also been review all the 94-96 ID games and damn I miss secret counters and maps in newer games...is it such a crime to know if I completed a level or not...*sigh*

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I forgot to mention E3 in my posts, it seems E3 has gone from a all dev extravaganza to a top list of devs and even some of them are snubbing it,E3 needs to fin a middle ground between the exstreams...

Nobodies15

Sep 15, 2006
I feel like I'm living in a bubble here in New Zealand, where the PS3 sold more units in its first day than the Wii had up to that point from its release months previously. And I really struggle to find games for my nintendo ds, because even major gaming stores only stock 5 or 6 titles
:-(

Russ Pitts said:

Case in point: A woman who'd never played a videogame in her life visited my home recently. I'm sure you know at least one person like her (if you have a mother, that is).

I'll have you know my mum was addicted to wolfenstien 3d - in a scary way.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Nobodies15 said:
I feel like I'm living in a bubble here in New Zealand, where the PS3 sold more units in its first day than the Wii had up to that point from its release months previously. And I really struggle to find games for my nintendo ds, because even major gaming stores only stock 5 or 6 titles
:-(

Russ Pitts said:

Case in point: A woman who'd never played a videogame in her life visited my home recently. I'm sure you know at least one person like her (if you have a mother, that is).

I'll have you know my mum was addicted to wolfenstien 3d - in a scary way.
My mom when she was living loved games and buged me to play them all the time,Doom,duke,blood heck FPS,s RPGs not so found of small hard to see RTS games but just about everythign else, she could handle the 2D Zelda's and loved bomber man ^^ and RPGs.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
ZippyDSMlee said:
Arbre said:
Well for one, I didn't mind the old school gameplay. It still rules when done on coop, and the setting is so strong, that I prefer such games with a very solid identity, rather than games like Unreal which are just ideas from everywhere more or less else properly agglomerated together.
Unreal 1 was very nice ,2 was "underneath the underneath"/ ,03 laughable,04 a make up to the mistake and delay of making 03 incorrectly.

the setting of D3 devoured the game without the level design to back up the gameplay it simply failed to be a good game IMO.Been playing though Doom on doomsdayHQ and damn its got some great level design,all D3 and q4 need is slightly larger levels and most stashes secrets to be the games they should be but as they widdle away at "expendable" extras like level design and fun gameplay.
I also been review all the 94-96 ID games and damn I miss secret counters and maps in newer games...is it such a crime to know if I completed a level or not...*sigh*
Well, I actually loved the Doom 3 level design, on all aspects. It really felt like a credible futuristic base, with its kind of old town, and the newer and shinier upper city levels. I found it very adequate for the mood.

Slightly open from times to times, and mostly cramped inside, like a submarine washed upon a mountain, because Mars is a nasty place outside.
As for Hell, plain enough for an american and doom style rendition of this dimension.
Besides, the texture art was really good. Plenty of details.

That's also what always made me love id instead of Epic. I noticed that Epic was more about using lots of brushes, 3D models to give a level more detail, more volume, but inspecting them revealed from time to time that the texture job on them was hardly jaw dropping, often found being bland hues of repetitive and untilable concrete or metal materials pasted upon very complex, say messy masses of polygons, while id was more about all the job done with intricate textures.

I don't mind claustrophobic environments, nevermind if it's a corridor sim. :)