Conspiracy story ideas you'd like to see done in fiction

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Title says it all, conspiracy stories can often be the best in fiction. Sometimes they can also be the worst in fiction. Often they're unrealistic due to the inherent nature of conspiracies making them stay secret, much less successful. So what are some you'd like to see done in fiction? As in, what type of conspiracy, what are its goals, and how are they accomplished.

For me, I'd like to see a story where the US, Russia, China and other economic powers have the political sphere of the relevant nations be pushed towards making and sustaining a cold war on the global level by a conspiratorial group within the different militaries and members of the scientific community of all nations involved in the cold war with the goal of keeping the non-open conflict going to allow for the sustained investment of large sums of money into the hard sciences, pushing human understanding of the universe forward under the guise of getting the better gun quicker then the other guy.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
inu-kun said:
My general opinion about conspiracies in media is that the larger they are the more improbable they get Ass Creed is a prime offender.

My idea: The cure for Cancer and all kind of infamous maladies exists, but being kept secret by the most rich and influential for personnal use in fear of causing population to explode if those get out, thoes of the group that gets cancer are those who pissed off the group in some way.
Not exactly the cure for cancer, but the movie In Time (justin timberlake was in it) was about humans discovering a way to stop aging past the age of 20-25, and days/months/years became the new currency. Kinda close to what you described, since the world cant handle a quasi-immortal race totaling in the billions, so the rich can live for millennia (in theory) while the poor smucks out in the suburbs struggle to live past the "free" 20 years everyone is born with.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
The Dread Cult of Azathoth, a group of total madman out to destroy the world by bringing in the Demon Sultan himself.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Amero...a bunch of people want to have the US, Mexico and Canada adopt a single currency like the Euro, but for unspecified and presumably somehow evil purposes.

Yeah, that conspiracy doesn't get much respect compared to the people working with the space lizards and/or rigging awards ceremonies.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I like that conspiracy theory where the British Empire never ended, and the colonies were given "independence" to get more votes at the UN. Because all the ex-British colonies clearly vote as a bloc and never disagree with the UK, right.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
A handful of women with truly unnatural reach bend governments to their will to try and destroy a particular form of entertainment media.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
altnameJag said:
A handful of women with truly unnatural reach bend governments to their will to try and destroy a particular form of entertainment media.
Now, some things are too far fetched even for fiction : D

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Fox12 said:
altnameJag said:
Now, some of the things are too far fetched even for fiction : D
I dunno, a fair few people have been writing self insert fanfics with themselves as the heroes stopping them.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Fox12 said:
altnameJag said:
Now, some of the things are too far fetched even for fiction : D
I dunno, a fair few people have been writing self insert fanfics with themselves as the heroes stopping them.
Worst. Fan fiction. Ever.

And fan fiction was already pretty bad. Hopefully we at least got a good make out scene with batman out of it.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I'd kind of like to see some ridiculous government conspiracy based story (Like, I don't know, alien refugees have been being given new lives in the US by the government since the 1950s) from the point of view of the terminally overworked and bored civil servants who have to make it work. Maybe they end up way in over their heads, or maybe it's just them trying to do as little work as possible while keeping their jobs.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
09philj said:
I'd kind of like to see some ridiculous government conspiracy based story (Like, I don't know, alien refugees have been being given new lives in the US by the government since the 1950s) from the point of view of the terminally overworked and bored civil servants who have to make it work. Maybe they end up way in over their heads, or maybe it's just them trying to do as little work as possible while keeping their jobs.
So... MiB, but with beaurocrats instead of some police-like agents?
Could work, I suppose. XD

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I just wanted to make a topic about a certain novel, so I may as well type it all here.

Have any of you read Isaac Asimov's "Dead past?"
Here is a copypaste from the Wikipedia:
Asimov extrapolates the twin trends towards centralization of academic research and scientific specialization, to portray a world in which state control of scientific research is overseen by a vast bureaucracy, and scholars are effectively forbidden from working outside their narrow field of specialization. Working innocently under these constraints is Arnold Potterley, a professor of ancient history. Potterley, an expert on ancient Carthage, wishes to gain access to the chronoscope, a device which allows direct observation of past events, to establish whether the Carthaginians really sacrificed children by fire. Pioneered by a neutrino physicist named Sterbinski many years before, the chronoscope is now exclusively controlled by the government. When the government bureaucracy, in the person of bureaucrat Thaddeus Araman, denies Potterley's request that he be granted chronoscope access, Potterley sets in train a clandestine research project to build a chronoscope of his own. Two people assist his quest: a young physics researcher named Jonas Foster and the physicist's uncle, a professional (i.e., licensed by the government) science writer, Ralph Nimmo.

As a result of this work, the team makes a series of discoveries. First, they learn that the government has been suppressing research into chronoscopy; nevertheless, Foster invents a way to construct a chronoscope that is much more compact and energy-efficient than that of its pioneer inventor. Though this discovery delights Potterley, Foster soon proves that no chronoscope can see more than about 120 years into the past. In any attempt to observe an earlier time, the inevitable noise totally drowns out the signal. The government's reports of chronoscope observations of earlier years are thus clear fabrications.

Personality conflicts and clashes of motivation cause the team members to fall out with each other. Potterley and his wife both remain disturbed by the death of their baby daughter in a house fire many years earlier, and there is the suggestion that he is subconsciously trying to exonerate the Carthaginians of child sacrifice as a way of exonerating himself of the possibility that he accidentally started the fire which killed his daughter with a cigarette. When he sees his wife's reaction to the chronoscope, and realizes that she would use it to watch their daughter's short life obsessively, he alerts the authorities and accepts the blame. His associate, Foster, now in the grip of intellectual pride and zeal for the cause of free inquiry, attempts to publish his breakthrough but is suddenly and unexpectedly apprehended by Thaddeus Araman, the bureaucrat who rejected Potterley's original research request.

As Araman attempts to secure an undertaking from Foster not to persist in publication, Foster's uncle, Nimmo, is brought in. Nimmo proves just as rebellious as the other two, and Araman, frustrated by the their unwillingness to cooperate, has no alternative but to declare the government's hand. He reveals that Foster has been apprehended through the government's own use of the chronoscope in snooping on the plotters.

Araman reveals that the government chronoscopy agency, far from suppressing scientific research out of blind authoritarianism, was trying to protect the people in the only way they knew how. As Foster and Potterley have learned, the chronoscope is inherently limited to recent times?but what if, instead of focusing it upon the past of a generation earlier, it were tuned to the past of one-hundredth of a second ago? The dead past, Araman says, is only a synonym for "the living present". If the plans for a chronoscope, particularly Foster's new and improved version, ever reached the general public, the resulting plague of voyeurism would effectively eliminate the concept of privacy. Even the government workers now assigned to the chronoscope, Araman says, sometimes transgress regulations and use it to spy for personal purposes.

Nimmo then reveals that in an attempt to take the pressure off Foster, he sent the details of Foster's chronoscope to several of his regular publicity outlets. The details of how to build a chronoscope relatively easily and cheaply are now available to everyone.

Araman is resigned to the exposure of the chronoscope, and leaves the three academics with the insightful line: "Happy goldfish bowl to you, to me, to everyone, and may each of you fry in hell forever. Arrest rescinded."

Long text short, in this world every scientific research has to be approved by the government and you can't work outside your specialization. The guy needs a chronoscope to look back into the past for research and he is denied access to it. He says big "fuck you" and with the help of others starts building his own. Government agent comes and demands that they stop, or there will be concequences.

Things happen and MC and Agent have a discussion. Agent reveals that the reason why government is the only one who has a working Chronoscope and limits it's use is because this device can be tuned to look just one second into the past, basically making it a device that can look and follow anyone and anything practically in real time. Scientists didn't think about it, because they were in their own world, while common sense escaped them.

The kicker is that the uncle of one of the guys says that he has send the blueprints to the magazine and now anyone can make their own Chronoscope. The Agent congratulates them on creating a true dystopia, where everyone can spy on everyone and the world "Privacy" is obsolete.

Why did I write all of this? Because I needed an example of a story I want to see. I want a story, where protagonist(s) do something forbidden because they obviously know better than the government, or because government is obviously eeeeevil, but not only fail, but cause GREAT harm to the world. Or this harm is avoided at the last moment as authors like to do. But the core idea is that conspiracies are bull and being a rebelious rogue doesn't automatically make you right.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Bad Penny said:
Just a theoretical exploration of all the classified and controlled technology we have in America. The best lasers, the best optics, the best of anything that can be used for war or spycraft isn't released to us for a long time. We live on the technological dregs of our age.
So is this speculative, or what? Because most of that stuff is unavailable in large part because it's cost prohibitive. In a sense, it's not too different from that lackluster hoverboard Lexus made that won't come to market any time soon. The best of almost anything simply isn't commercially feasible. Otherwise, if you're getting into something more speculative, This is like 90% of the conspiracy theories in popular media.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Bad Penny said:
I don't mean hoverboards or magic brain implants or immortality serums or anything like that. I mean the best telescopes in the world are classified and their nature is secret. The best lenses, the best lasers (not for weapons mostly) are all classified. A lot of medical tech starts that way too, virtually all of the current trend of cutting-edge cybernetics, and the rest.
I'm guessing you'd be pretty disappointed with most of the stuff that's "classified."

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
It has to be how flouride in the water and high frequency transmissions brainwash people. Then you can have living zombies who try to force all the preppers to drink non-purified tap water. Zombies running around with funnels and glasses of water. It would be awesome.

"Driiiiiinnnnnnkkkkkkk...." >>> "Noooooo! Ghhhhhbbrrrrr!"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Bad Penny said:
I think you'd be surprised at the focus of my interests, which tend to be optics, which tend to be highly controlled and classified.
Given much of my schooling, my former career path, and my former employment, I'm going to go out on a limb and say "probably not."