Consumer advice for the Wii

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
Now Ive enjoyed nintendo for a long time, up until the wii, But I'm starting to think maybe it's worth owning one. firstly I know there is lots of jokes about the wii.
so To all you wii owners out there heres a list of games I intend to buy is the wii worth it for these games.
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Super Mario Galaxy 1&2
Super Paper Mario
Super smash Bros. Brawl
Oh and to all you PS3 fans leave me alone please.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Wait for a sale for it to drop under $150. It's not worth it quite yet at the price since there aren't enough games that it's worth getting for, and it doesn't do anything else.

As for the games to get, from Wii owners I've talked to, it's pretty much Red Steel 2, Okami, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and possibly Super Mario Galaxy (either one, getting both is redundant). If you're an RPG fan, Xenoblade is also worth looking into, and there might be a few others for fans of specific genres.

My personal price point for the Wii is $100, when I see it drop below that I'll jump on it. Until then I'm happy to wait.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Don't get a Wii. I'm just saying that it has an initial fun factor but you WILL get bored of it within a year or two.

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
It's worth it for the Mario Galaxy games alone. I also recommend Muramasa and Resident Evil 4, if you haven't played the PS2/Cube version.

FISHFINGERS

May 26, 2008
I would say so.

I would also recommend

Blastworks
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Boom Blox
Ghost Squad
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Guilty Gear Core

quite a few of these can be picked up very cheap 1st or 2nd hand.
Just be aware it can be harder than usual to find good Wii games.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Dead Space: Extraction and Boom Blox as well... both were fun... but Don't bother with Galaxy 2, it's just Galaxy 1 + Yoshi.

Nickisimo

Apr 14, 2009
I'm sort of in the same boat about whether or not I want to get a Wii or not.

I've already got a 360 and a solid gaming PC, but it might be nice to have a more fam-friendly console downstairs that I can play with others. Also, there are some(albeit, not that many) Wii-specific games that I know I'm interested in.

Still a bunch of money though.

McAster

Jun 21, 2009
I've greatly enjoyed Wii, more so then PS3, Xbox 360, and PC (if I don't take into account Plants vs Zombies, so good) so I say it's worth it. I've found it best to just look at Wii as just that, not compared to the other systems even when they share similar franchises. Wii, and even old Gamecube titles that I missed the first time around, I've been able to come back and play for gaming breaks in the day to just enjoy myself rather then get involved in a big title, and so it's been perfect for me.
Bouncing around in de Blob (ignore the story and just enjoy yourself), World of Goo for a puzzle solving with my luv or a friend, Little King Story for that Pikmin and micro management RTS feel of a single mission for the day, Bit.Trip Runner for that old school "get the stage done, now get it done perfectly", all the light gun games, FIFA 10, and plenty more just fit me as my old Master System and Mega Drive used to.
Still some games to get deep into of course, Cave Story, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade, and others to fit specific wants and desires.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is an excellent trilogy of games. It's a first person adventure as some have called it, so it may be hard to get into if you are expecting a Halo or Resistance. It does hold to it one of the best subtle stories you'll come across, as it's all based about you finding the information and putting it together yourself. It's different, but solid gameplay and story.

Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 are two of the best platformers of this generation in my eyes. It's Mario, not much else to say.

Super Paper Mario. I honestly can't recommend this unless you really like a lot of text that will be for humour and platforming. It's funny mind you and there are parts that liken back to the easy and joy of the original Super Mario games, but it goes on longer then it really should.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Easy to get into and fun to do with friends. Online can be troublesome at times, but with friends I've never had any real issues. I would also recommend Tatsunoko vs Capcom if you are looking for a fighter, it's just as strong as any vs Capcom title even if you don't recognise the characters.

Wii isn't for everyone, but if you put aside the jokes about the system, ignore the mini-game collections and tie-in shovelwares (which thankfully never got as bad as the PS1 and PS2 had), and keep an open mind. You'll find something entertain yourself with.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I think it's equally hard to justify getting a Wii as it is to not get one. The only reason I don't have one now is because mine got stolen and I don't have a job to pay for a new one. I also am not in a hurry to get a new one because it just isn't that amazing of a system. I will say this though, it does kinda hurt not being able to play Okami (as was losing my 60hr save file, plus every other save file), but $200 is a lot of money and should only be spent if you can't think of a better way to blow it.

Mar 9, 2010
Xiorell said:
I hated SSBB mate. Get res evil 4 wii though
The guy is right, Resident Evil 4 is all win on the Wii... but he's wrong about Smash Bros. I love SSBB but the online sucks, like all Wii online

EDIT: Also, yes.