Consumers not Willing to Buy New TV For 3D, Finds Survey

Desrali T Bear

Mar 19, 2010
I am shocked. SHOCKED by the results of this study. I've made the mistake of being an early adopter before. Never again. Especially for the kind of money involved in 3D technology. =P

Tethalaki

You fight like a dairy farmer.
Nov 5, 2009
Honestly, I very recently upgraded my PC to be 3D capable (120Mhz 23" screen, Palit GTX 470 and Nvidia Glasses) and I must admit that I'm VERY impressed at how well 3D works for games - on the PC at least.

Mind you, my screen cost 650$ AU including the 200$ Nvidia Glasses - I wouldn't personally pay much more then that for a screen itself, especially not the thousands of dollars they want for 3D TVs.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
There was a time when similar result could have been garnered by asking about HDTV, just give it time, prices will come down and when people are replacing their current TV's they pick up the big new and shiny...

haxxorzd00d

Apr 15, 2009
It's still way too early to jump on the 3D bandwagon. We've only recently made the jump to HD, and most people I know with HDTVs only got them because they either needed a new TV or didn't have one to begin with. Clearly they're not going to be replacing those expensive and perfectly working new sets anytime soon.

Maybe give it a few years, let everyone's HDTVs wear out so they're in the market for a new one. Perfect opportunity to shove 3D in their faces. Uh, literally.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I hope they didn't pay too much to unearth this pearl of wisdom, as I would have been happy to tell them the same thing, a year ago. 3D is a gimmick, has always been a gimmick, and it's second only to the copycat motion gaming devices as the biggest consumer electronics mistep this decade.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
This joins the list of "Studies whose results are so blatantly obvious that no one has any idea how they managed to get the money to do it".

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Surveys: paying top money for finding out things that everyone with common sense already knew.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Pingieking said:
This joins the list of "Studies whose results are so blatantly obvious that no one has any idea how they managed to get the money to do it".
Damn you ninja'd me. But yes i wonder who always pays for that shit. X-p

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I wouldn't want a 3D TV even IF I had the money. I don't feel it adds anything to what I'm viewing. The glasses are distracting and after a while, I don't even realize things are in 3D. You just become used to it, so it is definitely not a product I care for...at all.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
If i hade the money then MAYBE i would get a 3D TV but it just seems unessesary. And if you have to wears to dorky glasses i can't use them as i wear regular glasses to actully see stuff.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Joe Deadman said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
I'm not surprised here. 3D is just a gimmick and will die out soon enough.
To be fair that's what they said about videogames :p.

Not really suprising I mean:
1. It's a recession
2. Everybody only just upgraded to HD
3. It's kinda gimmiky
#2 is my main reason there. I'll buy a gimmick if it's entertaining enough but I don't spend thousands on a gimmick. I only got an hdtv a couple of years ago when it became apparent that it wasn't a gimmick and that this was going to be the new wave.
I don't get a headache from the 3d but I can't imagine everything switching to 3d the way it happened with hd. At least not the way it is now.
I'm one of those people who will buy it when no glasses are needed.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
VanityGirl said:
Spinwhiz said:
I actually own a 3D TV and while it's cool, there is only ONE movie in 3D. Even Avatar is out in 3D. Not to mention, the glasses cost $200 a piece.

*sigh*

I will still try it with MW2 soon though :)
Do you feel like you invested in the technology too soon? I mean if the only real 3D movie currently out is Avatar, then doesn't that sort of limit your use of the TV?

I'm not flaming you of course, but based on what you just said, the TV seems like a bit of a waste right now.

OT: I don't have the money for a 3D TV at the moment. I'm too busy saving for a better living residence so I won't be tossing any money at a TV anytime soon. *sigh*
Actually, the only movie out on 3D is Monsters vs Aliens. Avatar was never released in 3D except in theaters.

As for purchasing it, I really wasn't looking for a 3D TV. It just happened that the size I wanted with a 120Hz processor and slim style was unavailable except in 3D. All of the brands were switching out their models at that point in time, so I guess I was "lucky". The TV itself, without the 3D, is absolutely amazing and was about the same price, so I don't feel as though I got ripped off.

However, I don't see this 3D taking off. If 3D becomes popular, it will be when you don't need to wear glasses when you watch your TV. In my opinion of course.