Context Sensitive: Playing the MMMMG

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
I live an hour from Disney, and this is seriously the first time I've ever heard of these pins or lanyards.

Also, I love the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (or the Aerosmith ride, as you put it), the best part of MGM.

And did I miss what MMMMG stands for? Massively Multiplayer MM Game?

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
TundraWolf said:
Awesome article. It makes me want to carry around a Quest Journal for everything in my life from now on. It just makes daily activities sound so much more epic.

Point of interest, though: the color-coded rarity system wasn't created by MMO's, but by CCG's. Not a big issue, just a little point of contention that stuck with me through the article. But that's just me being anal again.
I did not know that. Thanks for sharing the info. :)
My pleasure. Your articles are always a treat to read; thanks so much for having such good content.

I must admit, this article kind of got me wanting to go out and start collecting. Perhaps when I get to Disney, whenever that may be, I'll give it a whirl. Permitting my significant other (not to mention my bank account) don't frown too quizzically at me.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
iblis666 said:
makes me wonder if they do this in Disneyland too
They do. And at the World of Disney store here in NYC and Downtown Disney in FL, so you don't actually have to pay park admission to take part in the pin frenzy.

Another layer is that there used to be something called Virtual Magic Kingdom [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Magic_Kingdom] where you could collect in-game virtual pins (many of which had special powers) and trade those. There were even limited editions. And you could buy real life merchandise in the parks - pins, hats, etc - and turn that into in-game gear via codes on the item tag.

There were also trivia quizzes that you could only take in the Magic Kingdom park that would net you in-game loot. It was stuff like "How many keys are on the ring in the dog's mouth in Pirates of the Caribbean?" And about 10 more ride/attractions questions. So you'd have to not only ride everything but keep your eyes peeled. It was pretty good marketing.

There was another one which was a Disney movie quiz. They were changed every so often, and there were separate park quizzes for Disney World and Disneyland. I beta tested VMK and was in there until it shut down. I did the park quizzes in Florida.

(I think Susan is probably glad she didn't go at that time, or she'd be planning a trip to California about now.)

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I- But- What- Huh?

I am truly at a loss for words about all this. I mean, congrats on your pin-loot but I had no idea this even existed. I'm too scared to even attempt an ebay search for these pins, because I'm sure there's some prices out there that will put me in cardiac arrest.

Entertaining article though. I'll keep this story in mind if I ever find myself waltzing into Disney World.

Shadedblade

Mar 15, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Susan Arendt said:
level250geek said:
But you did complete the Tier 6 Donald Duck set?
Sadly, no. I completed just about all of the sidequests, but I failed to make any progress in the Main Story. I thought about buying the pins fr
TundraWolf said:
Awesome article. It makes me want to carry around a Quest Journal for everything in my life from now on. It just makes daily activities sound so much more epic.

Point of interest, though: the color-coded rarity system wasn't created by MMO's, but by CCG's. Not a big issue, just a little point of contention that stuck with me through the article. But that's just me being anal again.
Work 9 to 5 at at terrible job: Quest complete. Now just do that 23 more times and you'll get your reward: a paycheck! Starts getting addicted and grinding.
Later at the psychologists office:
Psych: So how do quests make you feel?

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Whoa... when I went to Disneyworld last year I didn't come across this pin collecting business! the only pin I got was the "Its your birthday!" pin that allowed me to skip all the lines at the rides.

RoboPenguin

Apr 14, 2009
I seriously want to go to Disneyland now.

And those pins are awesome! I love the pirate mickey. I'm addicted to pins in general. I have a whole stash of pins of that type that I've found in my travels through life. I wonder, if I ever go to Disneyland do you think I could put those pins on a lanyard and get some trades?

UnkeptBiscuit

Jun 25, 2009
josh797 said:
great piece of writing susan, i really liked it. disney may be slightly evil, but that story was awesome. thanks for that.
Disney is evil. I live right next to them.
OT: It's crazy. everywhere I go in uptown Orlando (where the parks are) there are pins. They might not be as common outside the parks, but there's always the tourist who refuses to take off his lanyard. Even SeaWorld and Universal are starting to get in on the pin business, but they're nowhere near as popular as they are at disney. good story, it was especially wierd for me because those pins are such a common thing for me. I've never really been able to get into the mindset of a tourist before, so thanks!

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Ugh...I hate loving collecting things. I wish crazy bones were still popular. I had not 1, not 2, but THREE Eggy's. (My favorite, but also on the rare side)
That was a fun money stealer.

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
so that's what i payed 10 bucks for... i thought it was just some sort of souvenir.... question if you know the two new year dragons shaping amickey mouse head, how rare was it that i had to pay TEN DOLLARS for? I think i might kill myself if i find out ti was one of the cheapest...

anyway, i went there two years ago, i noticed there was some sort of key chain thingy trade market thing going on, i never bothered to ask beyond 'I'd like this please, how much?' i probably should have, something to pass the time in between lines and whatnot... of course i would probably have been too shy to ask anyone other than the 'NPCs' to trade... sounds like fun though...

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
Scrythe said:
I- But- What- Huh?

I am truly at a loss for words about all this. I mean, congrats on your pin-loot but I had no idea this even existed. I'm too scared to even attempt an ebay search for these pins, because I'm sure there's some prices out there that will put me in cardiac arrest.

Entertaining article though. I'll keep this story in mind if I ever find myself waltzing into Disney World.
I just checked myself the answer: 75.00 USD

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
iknow i'm not the first one to say it but if you go to disney world you MUSTgo to the aerosmith 'rock n' roller coaster'
secondly i think it was the right choice to refer to the disney world employees as 'cast members' it is the actual title for your base level employee at disney world. and since they are there to play a part they are a part of a cast so it does make sense.