Contradictory criticisms of Nintendo.

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
The two most common complaints I hear about Nintendo are as follows:

1. OMG, they keep releasing the same game every year. How about you try some new IPs for a change?
2. So when are you guys going to make a new Metroid? Come on, Nintendo, all the fans want it!

Well, which is it? Do you want them making more new IPs, or more of the old ones that we already like? I bet, if they did release a new Metroid, people's first complaint would be 'Oh, great, another old IP. Try stepping outside your comfort zone for a change!' The second complaint would be, 'So, when are you going to make a new Mother game?'

Me, I would rather just play the games that they make, since they seem to be good at it. I don't care how many installments Mario has, as long as they are all good - which, as luck would have it, they are.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Don't look at me, I'm only eligible for complaint #1.

Never played a Metroid game in my life, never cared.

I guess Metroid has fans too, and they just want some more. I'm assuming Other M not being that well regarded has something to do with it too.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
So? They can do what they want, like they've been doing for years. They do what works and makes them money. It isn't necessary to defend them; they're adults. Are we going to have many more of these rant threads complaining about Nintendo and rant threads complaining about people complaining about Nintendo?

This'd be like if I made a thread complaining about the YouTube comments on every single Bethesda video from people swearing and shouting for Fallout 4. There wouldn't be much to talk about. I could also just fabricate complaints and address them without actually addressing anybody at all - because I gave no source for those complaints.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
It's always possible that the criticisms are coming from different people. It would the apparent contradiction.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Wait.I think I remember you. Aren't you the guy who made a bunch of threads early this year defending Nintendo?

Yeah I just checked, you're the same guy, although I overestimated the amount of threads you made that were just defending Nintendo. You even already made the other thread you just posted last time too. Last time it was "Enough with the Nintendo is Doomed", now it's "Will the Nintendo doomsaying ever end?"

Nintendo releases Mario games almost every year now. Since NSMB in 2006 there's only been like 2 years without a Mario platformer, and both NSMB2 and NSMBU were released in the same year. For Zelda, OoT3D and SS were both 2011, LBW and WWHD were both 2013, the newZelda and MM3d will both be 2015. If you count remakes, that's 6 games in 6 years, if you don't it's 1 game every other year, which is a pattern that's been going on since OoT back in '98.

Metroid meanwhile, hasn't had a game since Other M in 2010, and before that it was Prime 3, back in 2007. See the difference? Of course, you're also assuming that the people who complain about one also complain about the others.

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
Barbas said:
So? They can do what they want, like they've been doing for years. They do what works and makes them money. It isn't necessary to defend them; they're adults. Are we going to have many more of these rant threads complaining about Nintendo and rant threads complaining about people complaining about Nintendo?
I am defending myself, not Nintendo. Whenever I mention that I'm a Nintendo fan on the internet, I get slammed with hate for it. Have you never been made fun of for something you liked? Or do you not understand the concept of bullying altogether?

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
st0pnsw0p said:
Wait.I think I remember you. Aren't you the guy who made a bunch of threads early this year defending Nintendo?

Yeah I just checked, you're the same guy, although I overestimated the amount of threads you made that were just defending Nintendo. You even already made the other thread you just posted last time too. Last time it was "Enough with the Nintendo is Doomed", now it's "Will the Nintendo doomsaying ever end?"
Know what? If the doomsaying does end, I'll stop complaining about it. Sound fair?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Matthew Jabour said:
Barbas said:
I am defending myself, not Nintendo. Whenever I mention that I'm a Nintendo fan on the internet, I get slammed with hate for it. Have you never been made fun of for something you liked? Or do you not understand the concept of bullying altogether?
Why do you see the need to defend yourself at all?

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
Barbas said:
Matthew Jabour said:
Barbas said:
Because. I'm. Being. Hated. For. It.

You really don't understand, do you? If I was being made fun of for enjoying, let's say, Spiderman comics, and I tried to defend myself by saying that they're good, it would not be a reasonable counterpoint to say, 'Why are you defending Marvel? They're a big company, they don't need you defending them.' I'm the one being attacked, I'm the one that wants a defense.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Matthew Jabour said:
Barbas said:
Matthew Jabour said:
Barbas said:

You really don't understand, do you? If I was being made fun of for enjoying, let's say, Spiderman comics, and I tried to defend myself by saying that they're good, it would not be a reasonable counterpoint to say, 'Why are you defending Marvel? They're a big company, they don't need you defending them.' I'm the one being attacked, I'm the one that wants a defense.
Who is hating you? You only mentioned that there were prominent two complaints you kept hearing about Nintendo. That's not the same thing as being hated. Are you being harassed? Who is doing the hating?

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
Barbas said:
Matthew Jabour said:
Barbas said:
Matthew Jabour said:
Barbas said:

Who is hating you? You only mentioned that there were prominent two complaints you kept hearing about Nintendo. That's not the same thing as being hated. Are you being harassed? Who is doing the hating?
My apologies, good sir. I assumed you knew how widespread it was.

If you truly haven't ever seen threads where people get mocked and ridiculed for liking Nintendo, then I can see how my arguments would look to you. I suppose there are still innocents on the internet after all.

I hold no more animosities towards you. I'll save my ire for less worthy opponents.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
Barbas said:
But this isn't a shipping company or an industrial company or something. This is an entertainment company and we are their audience, the people that put money down for their games.

They have plenty of experience appealing to multiple groups of people, so the question is if they want money or if they want even more money by making their games correctly.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
People can hate them if they want I would not be surprised if some do contradict themselves but I would assume a lot of the complaints come from different people. I will say Nintendo looks after a lot of their IP like no other and continually finds great ways to reinvent the wheel as it were.

For me personally I havent really enjoyed a Nintendo game since the excellent Mario Galaxy (only the first one) which is one of my favourite games of last gen I have actually been bitterly dissapointed with the new super Mario Bros games and especially Mario Kart 8 which I still feel is by far the worst one in the series, I did buy Smash as well but I dunno its not doing it for me anymore it just feels like I have played it before and Melee was the last one I played (yes I know its different).

On the flipside Nintendo allowed us to have games like the wonderful 101 and especially Bayonetta 2 (thankyou Nintendo this game made my year) and I am really really looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles 2. So yeah while I am largely underwhelmed by their traditional IPs atm they have had some cracking games on their system its just a shame that it looks like this encouragement of 3rd part support is drying up.

I rarely see much criticism of Nintendo now tbh contradictory or otherwise, I hear them mentioned less and less in any way almost as if they have been removed from peoples subconciousness in regards to home consoles at least. (got my WiiU tho cmon Xenoblade 2)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Didn't you make this exact same thread a few hours earlier?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.866790-Will-the-Nintendo-doomsaying-ever-end

Why are you so insecure about Nintendo?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Didn't you make this exact same thread a few hours earlier?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.866790-Will-the-Nintendo-doomsaying-ever-end

Why are you so insecure about Nintendo?
From what I can gather from this thread, that thread and all of the other threads, it appears to be an inability to distinguish between criticisms of Nintendo's games, reputation, business decisions, etc. and personal attacks.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It seems like when Nintendo does do something new, people seem shocked and amazing but don't really buy into it. Now I know it wasn't a first party Nintendo game but people clamoring for a new Nintendo IP should have been all up on The Wonderful 101. That's a new IP made specifically for the Wii U after all. ZombiU is still a Wii U exclusive too and even at its great low price I don't see very many people popping up and saying, "Wow, this game is actually really good!" like how they did with the first Condemned.

Hey, you forgot the other criticism people lob at Nintendo and it's the one about Nintendo being a kiddy-brand. Remember how the Wii U's first open world sandbox was Lego City Undercover? It was a fun game but you can't deny that it was made for a younger audience.

Anyway, what does it matter what anybody says about the games Nintendo releases? So long as you're enjoying them, shouldn't that be all that matters? Nintendo isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future after all, especially with Majora's Mask, Star Fox U and Zelda U on the way. Also, if you're being 'attacked' for your love of Nintendo why not tone it down a bit? Make yourself less of a target and have fun with Captain Toad like I am many other people are.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Nintendo does often tread old ground, but plenty of people want it. Mario Party 8 -yes, the 8th installment of a lame spinoff series- sold 8 million units. That's as much as Portal and Portal 2 combined.

That being said, they are also taking a lot of risks with lots of new things. The Wii is a great example of a large risk that paid out well. The Wii U is a great example of a large risk that did NOT pay out well.

MatPat from Game Theory covered this very well on Youtube, and I think he's right when he says that Nintendo is actually really good at balancing "rehashing the familiar old stuff" that people want with "creating new, innovative hardware and software" that people want. They don't always get it right in either catagory, but they're far from being the pitiful sellouts that a lot of people claim them to be.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I don't need to defend Nintendo because they've got something called staying power. How they accomplished it is akin to magic, but really its being willing to take some risks and innovate but overall usually keep what works. A failure for Nintendo isn't necessarily what most other companies would call a failure.
They just know their core audience well, and I believe the other half of the equation is that they honestly love the things they produce. If you're not a Nintendo fan, that is OK, they seem to have this idea that they don't need everyone to accept them and thats OK too. If you're a Nintendo fan, the best thing to do is to realize not everyone is going to accept you and that also is OK. You don't need to be liked or respected by everyone, and neither does Nintendo because fact is they've been around since almost the beginning of gaming and likely will be around a long time. As long as they don't lose sight of the love they seem to have for what they make, and keep up that lack of need to be like every other game console company out there. Its fine to not be number 1 all the time, because if you're still in the race after all the other guys who beat you in the past have either gotten off the game or died off, well that I think is a bigger victory. Atari is gone, SEGA is gone. Two down, two rose to replace them and maybe that won't last either.
BTW, I'm not someone who loves one thing exclusively, but I feel that even Sony and Microsoft may eventually fade because they don't really have the passion that Nintendo does.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
st0pnsw0p said:
This is at least his second (very) recently, too.

This sort of thing is cyclical, so I expect to see a few more. Probably with as much touch with reality as this one.

Matthew Jabour said:
The two most common complaints I hear about Nintendo are as follows:

1. OMG, they keep releasing the same game every year. How about you try some new IPs for a change?
2. So when are you guys going to make a new Metroid? Come on, Nintendo, all the fans want it!

Well, which is it?
1. Why can't you have both?

2. Can you prove these people are the same people? They're the most common complaints, but that doesn't mean they're made by the same people.