Controversial God of War: Ascension Trophy To Be Renamed

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
as a casual observer this violent bludgeoning of the female antagonist seems to be par for the course for the God of War series, while its not done every 10 minutes apart from pandora, aphrodite and the women in the 'sex minigame' women in that Kratos meets tend not to fare well. There's this female antagonist, the sisters of fate, Athena, Posidons princess(the aforementioned doorstop), Hera, the gorgon's and the Oracle and Kratos wife and daughter, and Gai(the titan)...all of whom seem to either die by his hand or because him. And they response to me is idiotic..the don't even removed or change the boss woman getting murdered...they change the name of the trophy for killing her like that makes it all better!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Agente L said:
So much for "artistic integrity", huh?
I know! They changed a whole word in one of the names of their trophies!
:( I don't think I'll even be able to tell if it's the same game anymore.....

On a more serious note; I got to say, the name in context of what you do to get it is a bit offencive.
That said, I agree more with Grey that the "joke" just isn't that funny.

Personally, I think calling it something like "The Final Step", or something of the like would be better. Puls Bros before Hoes doesn't really makes sense with Kratos.
I mean, when was the last time Kratos even had a "bro" to fight for, who didn't die soon after the fight/was dead already?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
this thread going for 10 pages long is stupid

BOTH party's should get over it......

seriously what is it we are arguing over again?

(though I'll admit I do get pretty sick of the OMG U GUYZ PC POLICE! crowd..they are more annoying than those who do take issue)

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Vault101 said:
this thread going for 10 pages long is stupid

BOTH party's should get over it......

seriously what is it we are arguing over again?

(though I'll admit I do get pretty sick of the OMG U GUYZ PC POLICE! crowd..they are more annoying than those who do take issue)
Remember the "controversial" Lara Croft attempted-rape scene that spiked multiple threads like this one? What happened to that?
Oh yeah, after the actual game was released, got great scores/reviews, found to be possibly the best Tomb Raider game to date...all those fuckers who stirred-up the controversy over that 15-second scene in the first place? Yeah, they vanished, or hopped onto another bandwagon.

Because thanks to internet anonymity, nobody needs to face the consequences of bullshit accusations and attempts at attention-grabbing, they can simply sly away back into the shadows. More importantly, the developers didn't need to remove that scene, they held their stance and kept it in the game because they wanted it to be there.

This is basically a repeat of the above, except that this time the developers actually changed something...how stupid of them, they basically inflated the issue even more by doing that.
I guess Santa Monica studios didn't realize that once GoW:Ascension was released, the controversy would've been forgotten in roughly 60 seconds (no really, 60 seconds) and the retards would've find something else to latch onto. Rinse and repeat.

It was really that simple, I wish developers could keep it simple.

Hobohodo

Jun 20, 2011
AgDr_ODST said:
as a casual observer this violent bludgeoning of the female antagonist seems to be par for the course for the God of War series, while its not done every 10 minutes apart from pandora, aphrodite and the women in the 'sex minigame' women in that Kratos meets tend not to fare well. There's this female antagonist, the sisters of fate, Athena, Posidons princess(the aforementioned doorstop), Hera, the gorgon's and the Oracle and Kratos wife and daughter, and Gai(the titan)...all of whom seem to either die by his hand or because him. And they response to me is idiotic..the don't even removed or change the boss woman getting murdered...they change the name of the trophy for killing her like that makes it all better!
That's a joke, right? Kratos kills countless men, which is no problem, but when it comes to the fact that he's killing women, then you're all up in arms? By that logic, the life of a woman is worth more than that of a man. Every man that Kratos seem's to come by comes to the same fate. They shouldn't change it, by principle, there's nothing sexist about it, or offensive, it's all being taken too far.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Krantos said:
Honestly, in this instance I thin-

*looks at previous comments*

Whelp, that escalated quickly.

Seriously, you really can't talk about sexism issues here can you?
Sums up the thread for me. Oh hey, an achievement using a douchebag/bromance saying, that isn't too ba- OHGODWHY?

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
What's this? A popular culture reference used in popular shows/movies like House and the first Transformers movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk6s3mp0aSE) as a trophy? Well that's kinda cute, but I don-...

10 pages? Okay...Well...I guess this is proof that context is apparently everything.

Ignoring the thousands of males and females that Kratos slaughters this is...or at least shouldn't be this big of a deal. It's not going to have 15/18 year olds be all like "YEAH! I OPPRESSED THAT FEMALE SLAG FOR THE PATRIARCHY! RAPE CULTURE ACTIVATE! *60's Batman Transition*" (Did I miss any particularly important words?).

If it does by some miracle they're about as stable as a one legged dog with psychosis and have clearly much bigger issues. While I find the God of War games...mediocre at best (I honestly can't play more than an hour of one) it's amazing how sensitive people are over some things...

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
JemothSkarii said:
(I honestly can't play more than an hour of one) it's amazing how sensitive people are over some things...
Honestly it's less about how sensitive people are over some things, and more about how much ATTENTION said people are getting by the media/news sites in 2012-2013.
It's all about where the spotlight is focused, and currently it will happily focus on anyone who is ranting about any form of discrimination even if said person has absolutely no fucking clue what they're talking about, or the context (as you said), or twisting the facts/data to suit their bias, or just plain retarded. Anita Sarkeesian is probably the best example to date of all four of those things...a shining diamond of an example.

I'll again bring up Tomb Raider's "controversy" (you know, the almost-rape scene) and how quickly everyone got over that once they realized the game had released, the developers had stood their ground and hadn't changed shit, the game turned out to be really good, etc.

Where did all those people go and what about the controversy? Did it all vanish? Or did the spotlight simply move on?

It's stuff like that which makes me wonder, who are the true retards here...the politically-correct idiots themselves, or the ones controlling the spotlight? I say the ones controlling the spotlight. There will always be retards, it's up to the media to stop putting them on a fucking pedestal. That's what this entire topic is about, retards on a pedestal. God Of War developers only made it worse by actually listening to the retards, so now they're all going "OH, SO THEY ADMITTED TO IT! SEXIST! MISOGYNIST! ARGLEGARBLEFARGLEGRAAAAA"

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
TecnoMonkey said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Brad Shepard said:
People need to learn to take a damn joke.
Sorry I don't find beating a woman funny.
The title of the trophy had NOTHING to do with Kratos beating up that "woman", who actually is not a woman she is more of a demon with some female features, it had to do with the son of one of the "female" antagonists saving Kratos against her mothers wishes, the beating itself isn't even that violent by Kratos's standards, see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3L2de3ucLg
...People are enraged over that?
Seriously?

How is anyone even remotely close to linking the two together?
MarlonBlazed said:
https://twitter.com/ToddPapy/status/309746549125152768 I guess this makes her a misogynist... She clearly put bros before hoes.
Please tell me I can still give effort points to the woman who thought it up by playing offline, getting the trophy, then going online and syncing.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
It seems more sexist to not let Kratos kill her..

Equality is Kratos killing, men, women, demons and kittens equally..

Emz

Jun 13, 2010
After watching the actual scene on YouTube I really don't get what the fuss is about? Sure, he beats her in a completely gruesome way but a moment later she's back to normal and unscathed. I'm not into games or movies with gore but I think this achievement has been really blown out of proportion.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Spot1990 said:
Ok, people the joke is "We've turned this phrase into a joke about beating up a woman." When you turn a somewhat innocent phrase (although seeing as it's about putting your friends before your girlfriend and referring to said girlfriend as a "ho", I'd argue its innocence) into a euphemism for beating up women, that's kind of an issue. There's nothing wrong with having female antagonists, but when beating her is funny BECAUSE she's a woman it's a problem.

It's funny, I know I'll be accused of being overly sensitive and too PC here, while in an Anita Sarkeesian thread I'll usually get accused of being a mouth breathing misogynist.
Actually the achievement had NOTHING to do with Kratos beating up that woman. It was about what happened after.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I can kinda see the problem.

The fact that the act of violence in question is aimed towards a woman doesn't bother me. It's in keeping with the tone of the God of War series and it's dark fantasy themes and the frequetly dark and violent Greek mythology upon which the series draws it's influence.

Also, the "Bros before hos" achievement in and of itself doesn't really bother me. It's a stupid phrase to be sure but I don't have any problem with it.

The problem, as many people have pointed out, is that when you take the achievement and award it to the player in such a flippant tone after committing the aforementioned act of violence it does strike a tonal shift that I can understand being a little off putting.

Kratos is an equal opportunity killer. Men, women and gender neutral proto-forms are fair game to his murderous rage.
It is the achievement and it's wording that contextualizes that act not as a reward for Kratos overcoming his enemy, but instead as praise for Kratos beating a woman.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Church185 said:
Yes dehumanizing women. Ho is short for whore, which is a synonym of prostitute. People refer to some women as hoes, because it makes it seem like they are less of a person and shouldn't be treated with the respect they deserve.
Watch the video, seems like you are in immediate need to learn about jumping to conclusions.

No, "bros before hoes" doesn't dehumanize women anymore than "chicks before dicks" dehumanizes men. You are seeing connections where there are none. Just because a person utters the phrase "bros before hoes", it doesn't mean that they are dehumanizing women or support dehumanizing women anymore than a person who recites "Remember remember the fifth of November" supports Catholic sectarian violence against England.

Church185 said:
The change was made by the development team before the game even shipped. Apparently they thought it reflected badly on them as well, because it didn't take much pressure for them to cave and change it.
More likely that they didn't want to put up with people making wild accusations that they were "dehumanizing women" and that they caved into pressure.

Apr 24, 2008
Spot1990 said:
Ok, people the joke is "We've turned this phrase into a joke about beating up a woman." When you turn a somewhat innocent phrase (although seeing as it's about putting your friends before your girlfriend and referring to said girlfriend as a "ho", I'd argue its innocence) into a euphemism for beating up women, that's kind of an issue. There's nothing wrong with having female antagonists, but when beating her is funny BECAUSE she's a woman it's a problem.

It's funny, I know I'll be accused of being overly sensitive and too PC here, while in an Anita Sarkeesian thread I'll usually get accused of being a mouth breathing misogynist.
Why is that the joke? That doesn't even make sense in context. Why does it have to relate to the violence at all when it doesn't even unlock in a violent scene? It's only a silly nod to the fact that 2 male characters have allied, it relates to a shift in the narrative... it has nothing to do with stomping on women's faces or whatever.

Tropies are often bad-puns, nods to popular culture memes and other such nonsense. There was likely not a lot of thought put into this at all, let alone some concerted effort to make any kind of gender-political statement. There's no depth to analyse.

Honestly, why would anyone assume malicious intent ahead of an arguable lapse in good-taste or humour? We should collectively ask the gaming-news-outlets to stop trying to sell us this shite as legitimate controversy.

Alex Mac

Jul 5, 2011
Randomeaninglessword said:
Doesn't Kratos kill thousands of people? What's the big deal about a joke at the expense of one more? I would consider both genders equal, so I'd hazard a guess and say that women can handle a trophy name. It would appear Mr. Sessler feels otherwise.
Leave your presumptions somewhere else and speak for no one but yourself. Feel free to disagree with the man but, please, for your own sake, don't keep living in a bubble where you assume that most people think like you do. Bare minimum, you don't really get to guess what women think unless you're a woman. And even then, generalizing would be foolish.

Jun 24, 2009
Alex Mac said:
Randomeaninglessword said:
Doesn't Kratos kill thousands of people? What's the big deal about a joke at the expense of one more? I would consider both genders equal, so I'd hazard a guess and say that women can handle a trophy name. It would appear Mr. Sessler feels otherwise.
Leave your presumptions somewhere else and speak for no one but yourself. Feel free to disagree with the man but, please, for your own sake, don't keep living in a bubble where you assume that most people think like you do. Bare minimum, you don't really get to guess what women think unless you're a woman. And even then, generalizing would be foolish.
I wasn't aware women were beyond logic, a sense of humour, and thinking like other people. My mistake, I should have realized that I was living in a bubble, and that women were some completely different species that thinks in ways I can't even imagine with my feeble male brain.

I am making an assumption, yes, but I'd say it's reasonable considering the fact that most of the people I know can take a joke, and seperate a joke from an actual insult.