Convince me to buy Overwatch or Battleborn

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Paragon doesn't really appeal to me, so don't bother.

However, I've played both Overwatch and Battleborn Betas (though only for a couple of hours each). Both seemed promising, but I also liked both enough to still be on the fence about which one I am going to get (yet they are similar enough that I will not be getting both).

So if you love one over the other, tell me why.

Jan 27, 2011
I haven't played battleborn, so I can't comment on it.

But Overwatch is the first online multiplayer game that has caught my interest in years. I normally don't go for online multiplayer, hell I only played League because my friends did and when they stopped I had no desire to continue.

OW changed that. It's the first Multiplayer only title to actually catch my attention and make me legit feel like I'm having some kind of low-level withdrawal symptoms after having a blast during the 2 days I got to play the beta (I was just really getting into the groove of it when it ended. :eek: I wasn't ready for a break!)

It's TF2 with superheroes, where while skill is important, there are lots of ways to be a credit to your team without needing to be a flawless headshot pro at 80 feet. And the variety of hero playstyles, each one fun in their own way, really just sells me on it.

I'm very stingy with my money these days, but this was 40 bucks I was willing to drop like *THAT*. I don't know how I'm gonna get through the next 12 or so days to release. :eek:

EDIT: Also, I LOVE "play of the game" and the fact you can swap heroes mid-match. It encourages you to mix it up and adapt your strategy, and I love seeing amazing plays at the end of a match. If it's an ally, you can appreciate what they did for you. If it's an enemy you can go "Wow, that was pretty good. They kinda deserve that win". And if it's you, you get to bask in your own glory for a few seconds. It's great.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
It depends on what you want more.

If you want a shooter, get Overwatch

If you want a first person MOBA, get Battleborn.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
I'ma throw my hat in with the Overwatch People. It -FELT- good. I haven't played a PC Shooter that jelled so well so immediately since Left 4 Dead, and the only other shooter to be so charming as to get an "as soon as my pay-check can afford it, if not Day 1" purchase, in addition to an "I'm buying this for myself and my best friend" purchase, was Splatoon.

It feels flexible, each character is drastically different enough to keep things from being stale, a lot of unlockables to keep going for, solidly native yet modifiable control, chating is easy enough, it's just a damn good game. I'm going to be surprised and a little disappointed if Yahtzee has too much negative to say about it. Blissful Manic Energy describes the gameplay, Colorful Vibrant and Enjoyable the Tone. I don't know about Battleborn, so I'm not gonna judge it, but if you liked the Overwatch Demo, I certainly hope to see you during the actual game!

Final7111

Aug 6, 2011
All I can say is this, I never thought I'd like Overwatch. But after playing about 5 hours of the beta, I have the $60 version pre-ordered. I don't know why I like it so much, its not my usual game however I see myself playing it for hours.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Get Overwatch, it has waifus.

Haven't played nor plan to get Overwatch or Battleborn. They seem like very PC oriented games, and I don't have one.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
DISCLAIMER: I have not played either, and likely won't, so this probably won't be very helpful.

TheSapphireKnight said:
It depends on what you want more.

If you want a shooter, get Overwatch

If you want a first person MOBA, get Battleborn.
Based on what I've seen and heard, this is pretty much the way to look at it.

Battleborn is a MOBA, with all the pros and cons that entails. The perspective makes it more action-y, but you will be stuck with one hero for an entire match, which can run ~1 hour.

Overwatch is a class-based/hero shooter. It's a faster game and probably more polished overall, but I have long-term concerns about Blizzard's ability to prevent the meta from calcifying. It's also a bit cheaper on PC, if that's a factor.

I ultimately think Overwatch will be the stronger game on release, but I imagine that Battleborn will clean up with time and patches. I'll advocate for Battleborn if only to try to counter Blizzard's attempts to strangle it in the crib, but that's just me. They both look pretty fun, so it's really all down to what kind of game you want. Personally, I'm looking at Paladin because most of my yearly game budget got eaten by Dark Souls and Stellaris...

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Belaam said:
Paragon doesn't really appeal to me, so don't bother.

However, I've played both Overwatch and Battleborn Betas (though only for a couple of hours each). Both seemed promising, but I also liked both enough to still be on the fence about which one I am going to get (yet they are similar enough that I will not be getting both).

So if you love one over the other, tell me why.
Slightly different games. Battleborn is more of a hybrid and has a lot of MOBA elements in its DNA. Overwatch is more of a pure shooter. While it does tote a MOBA-influenced team play aspect, the bones of the game are pure TF2 style shootin' n' tootin'.

If you want a very vague and non-specific answer to your question, it would be "buy whichever of the above two appeals to you more". If you want a direct and commanding answer, buy Overwatch. It will be much, much more popular and much, much larger than Battleborn. It's also the more polished and release-ready title, which will only exacerbate the massive edge it presently has in terms of mind-share and marketing.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
BATTLEBORN!!!

I literally played one match of the Overwatch beta and I was disappointed by how simple the gameplay is. It's so easy to kill someone it's not even funny. The modes are so basic as well. The maps were too small, it's like all the cool mobility some of the characters have is rather wasted due to the small and simplistic nature of the maps. I'm all for shooters (especially on consoles) implementing more and faster movement (over the standard MMS) to increase the skillgap among players but Overwatch is not the way. I do love the art style and characters though.

Battleborn's gameplay has way more depth. There's far more creativity in the way you can play each character even just due to their basic skills. And then you build your character as the game goes on to do more damage, heal more, or get knew abilities like higher jumping to where your playstyle can be totally different than it is at the start of the game.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
No one linked TB's video yet? Surprising.

Alright, here you go:

I found this pretty helpful. Give it a watch.

It has a good blend of objective information, and subjective opinion.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
IceForce said:
No one linked TB's video yet? Surprising.

Alright, here:

I found this helpful. Give it a watch.
Well nobody said they were the same type of game, the guy said he'd played both of them but just a little bit so he should be aware of the differences.

He is just asking if we can convince him to buy one of them but just one of them, I imagine that if we don't convince him with either he will buy neither.

OT: I'd go for Overwatch, mostly because my friends played the beta and already like it so I have people to play it with which is the only way I like to play team based games, in addition to that I used to play LoL and I'm kinda done with MOBAs they are not bad but it's harder to get people to play whole one hour game with you and than it is for a shorter game like Overwatch, plus I rarely like to play those because I myself don't feel like committing to a single player match most of the time so I'd likely play Battleborn way more infrequently than Overwatch.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
So, I ended up renting Battleborn again and it just didn't get me as excited. There are definite problems if someone drops out of a match and I had two different times where that led to a total waste of time. That most of the characters are locked doesn't help either. Though I still like the campaign plot and that it can be played with a group.

So I went with my own gut and most opinions here and pre-ordered Overwatch. I'll keep an eye on Battleborn prices and pick it up if/when I see it for ~$20.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Overwatch is free, I think, and has an absolute honey as its mascot:

...And if that fails, it'll probably have a significantly larger player base at any given time.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Barbas said:

...And if that fails, it'll probably have a significantly larger player base at any given time.
It isn't free though, it's a $40 release.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Barbas said:

It is not, though. The game is 40$ on PC and 60 on consoles...