Convince me to replay Nier: Automata

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Finishing Nier: Automata once really is only a third of the way through, and it's not the best third. Unlike grinding in other games or doing things over and over again in, say, a Souls game or, ahem, Destiny, that first playthrough to the credits was just the opening chapter, really. Your average, usual, standard gaming fare. What comes after really is the meat of the story, the game, the ride. If you really liked it, then do not cheat yourself out of it.

No promises, though. Don't hurry if you don't feel like it right now. Just don't forget it. And make sure you give it adequate attention once you do.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
Casual Shinji said:
and a game being boring on purpose as some sort of artistic expression, which is seemingly what Automata is going for, at least within its first 9 hours.
Who ever claimed Automata was purposely trying to be boring?
I said 'seemingly', since that first scenario has you doing very little other than running around a boring setting, killing boring enemies, and people stating that once the credits roll you need to keep playing because that's when the game REALLY begins. This leads me to conclude that first scenerario was nothing but a time waste. A 9 hour time waste.

Like, what was I supposed to get out of 2B's scenario that was in any way fun or engaging?

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Alright.

Now, go play Nier: Automata. I hear it's pretty good.
What the...what is this game you speak of? And how the hell did it get in my steam library?? And played 12 hours of it?!? Has my account been hacked? Curses!

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Like, what was I supposed to get out of 2B's scenario that was in any way fun or engaging?
It's a set up for the rest of the story in which questions are raised and few answers are given. Obviously it didn't work for you, which is fine, but don't go misinforming other people by pretending to be knowledgeable in the game.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The game had a quirky charm but I wasn't really enjoying it either tbh. I loved the shmup parts and seeing a tin man called Jean Paul drone on about existentialist philosophy as a melancholic and endearing reference to Sartre was definitely enjoyable as well(and the story has much more moments like this) but overall I didn't enjoy the combat much and the world was empty and boring and looked like it was a PS2 title. Apparently the game gets 'better' with each successive playthrough but that is not something I can bring myself to do.

Sep 9, 2007
ChupathingyX said:
Casual Shinji said:
It's a set up for the rest of the story in which questions are raised and few answers are given.
This. The main purpose of the A route as I see it is to give context to the world and to create a framework for the remaining routes to work from. It establishes the major characters in the game and gives you a tour of the game world, so you're at least a little familiar with it all for when the pace picks up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
Casual Shinji said:
It's a set up for the rest of the story in which questions are raised and few answers are given. Obviously it didn't work for you, which is fine, but don't go misinforming other people by pretending to be knowledgeable in the game.
A 9 hour set up in which pretty much nothing happens? Maybe I'm old, but no, that doesn't work at all. And I'm sorry, but that's enough time to gather up the proper knowledge about a game. I didn't misinform anyone -- Those first 9 hours are intentionally uneventful and vague, giving you little to nothing else to engage you other than the promise it might add up to something in the end.

Req

May 18, 2012
Well, the good news is, all the things you liked will be expanded upon in the next 2 playthroughs(yeah, you'll need to do 2 more to get the full story). The bad news is, aside from expanding on 2B's character and why she acts like she does, your concerns won't really be fixed either. That said, you really haven't seen the meat of the story yet, so if the story and themes carried you through the first playthrough, I highly recommend doing the next 2 as well.

That said, just in case you aren't familiar with the first Nier, you might want to find some way to get familiar with it. Watching a playthrough or reading some sort of synopsis should be enough, and it's not really vital to understanding the main plot, but there are a couple of moments that won't carry the same impact without it.

Lastly, playthrough B has some new sidequests, including one about tracking down a murderer in a cloak. If you decide to continue playing, I HIGHLY recommend finding that particular sidequest and completing it.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
A 9 hour set up in which pretty much nothing happens? Maybe I'm old, but no, that doesn't work at all. And I'm sorry, but that's enough time to gather up the proper knowledge about a game. I didn't misinform anyone -- Those first 9 hours are intentionally uneventful and vague, giving you little to nothing else to engage you other than the promise it might add up to something in the end.
That's the setup to basically every single anime...

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Req said:
Well, the good news is, all the things you liked will be expanded upon in the next 2 playthroughs(yeah, you'll need to do 2 more to get the full story). The bad news is, aside from expanding on 2B's character and why she acts like she does, your concerns won't really be fixed either. That said, you really haven't seen the meat of the story yet, so if the story and themes carried you through the first playthrough, I highly recommend doing the next 2 as well.

That said, just in case you aren't familiar with the first Nier, you might want to find some way to get familiar with it. Watching a playthrough or reading some sort of synopsis should be enough, and it's not really vital to understanding the main plot, but there are a couple of moments that won't carry the same impact without it.

Lastly, playthrough B has some new sidequests, including one about tracking down a murderer in a cloak. If you decide to continue playing, I HIGHLY recommend finding that particular sidequest and completing it.
Thanks, these are some good suggestions! I'll definitely take you up on them, and keep in mind what you mentioned about that sidequest.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's up to you DelRay. If you want to finish it all the way, then do so. Once I got all of the main endings, there was no need for me to play the game again. The experience was worthwhile.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
ChupathingyX said:
Casual Shinji said:
I must be getting old cause alot has happen in my opinion and I just got this game a few days ago *shrugs*

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
In my experience, if you need to be talked into playing a game, then odds are you'd have more fun playing something you actually want to play.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
erttheking said:
In my experience, if you need to be talked into playing a game, then odds are you'd have more fun playing something you actually want to play.
You're probably right about that, in most cases. However, I've been found to listen to advice more than once to give games another chance. The reason I actually seek that advice is because the game doesn't piss me off enough to the point where I would just drop it, in which I wouldn't give a shit if the entire world thought it was amazingly fantastic.

Especially in a game like this, where even some of my gaming friends (of which there aren't many) really REALLY said I have to play the game 3 times, which seems like a bit of a grind at this point.

Just an update to the thread, I'm going to jump into 2nd playthrough today, and see how I go. Really appreciate the input for those who've bothered to and will come back, hopefully not disappointed.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Good luck. Just remember, the second playthrough is the same as the first, just from 9S' point of view. You'll get some new cutscenes and more information all around, but it's basically the same story. If you can make it through that, then you get the third playthrough, and that's where things really pick up.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Spoiler: You've only played half of the prologue. You haven't even seen the opening credits.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
JohnnyDelRay said:
Hey gang. So I've just finished my 1st playthrough of Nier: Automata, and I'm gonna do an Ezekiel here, where I complain about a game that I've given a chance, and look to the community to seek the good points and see whether it's worth giving another shot.

For all of you who've played and finished, (and enjoyed) have undoubtedly played it at least twice more, so I've heard is the minimum. But I didn't really feel this game.

{{{SPOILERS ABOUND}}}

Let me start with what I liked:
-most amazing setting, character design and setpieces I've seen in a game in perhaps a very long time.
-interesting mood and themes.
-absolutely engaging music that melds nicely with environment. First time I've really noticed how nuanced music can be in a game in response to what's going on. Reminds me a lot of Ghost in the Shell, maybe similar artists/composers, haven't really checked.

Now, what I didn't like:
-combat, although controls are extremely responsive, seems jumbled and tedious. I don't mind the bullet hell stuff, and I don't mind the fighting stuff, but trying to focus on both at the same time, while managing the camera just wasn't all that fun for me. And are you supposed to develop both ranged and melee? There are parts where you can only use one. Much bullet-spongy, drawn out fights. Lock-on is a ***** to use, I think I'm doing it wrong but it keeps jumping around.
-What is up with 2B? Is she just a ***** through the whole game so that she can let it all out and cry at the end? You hardly learn anything about her or relate to her coz she's cold and doesn't say shit. Is this expanded upon in further playthroughs?
-I'm as averse to handholding as the next guy, but there are SO many mechanics that I learned about by accident (like gliding with your pod), and makes me wonder what else I'm missing. I like discovering, but I don't like missing useful shit.
-Navigation is a pain in the ass, so many times I fast travel or spend ages dashing through tunnels only to get farther away from my objective.
-Many high lvl enemies planted in random places IN THE MIDDLE of lower class enemies locations (not like Souls games, where it's obvious where you shouldn't go due to being severely out-leveled), not clear what you're supposed to do there, but leave for subsequent playthroughs. Or destroy enemies, just to have them respawn endlessly.
-Fairly bland enemies, overly simple to the point of being boring. Brown, round, steampunky robots. Plus super edgy final boss (my brotherrrrrr!)

OK, thanks for making it this far if you did.
TL;DR: I kinda like this game, but it also annoys me like hell. I've played through once, is it really worth playing through again? I don't mind spoilers too much in this game, but use your discretion to sell me a 2nd playthrough.

P.S: I'm in a different timezone to most of you, so sorry if I don't reply quick, but I will read any and all replies for sure.
So what you're actually saying is that you've played 1/3rd of the game? It's up to you if you finish or not, but that's like dropping star wars at A New Hope.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Oh! I forgot to mention - do bear in mind that there are two noteworthy hidden boss encounters. Just keep a bunch of save files around in case you miss the well-hidden lore-drop or just plain fun/frustrating bosses on your regular playthrough.