Cooking disaster

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Most recently? It turns out that boiled eggs explode when you leave them boiling for about 2 hours and forget to put the flames off.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I wanted to make savory pancakes but decided to add spinach to turn it green and look fancy.
I added too mush spinach and too much eggs that it just turned into green gunk.
It tasted too green too.
Well, i ate it though...

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Nothing in relation to the actual meal, but I once learned that the suggestion to put on gloves when handling things like Habaneros is not an exaggeration. I was already contemplating my opening line for the arrival at the emergency room when the burning finally started to wear off.

And one time, I had a (long drinking) glass of sauce from the day before. A sauce basically consisting of sugar, wine and butter. And it was/appeared strangely solid as it came out of the fridge. And then I turned into a three year old, thinking "interesting... let's turn it upside down"...

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
I burn things way too easily. Sometimes I just occupy myself with anything else for a second and it all burns horribly. Also, once while cooking meat, I dumped some black pepper and the cap fell off. I did everything to fix it like add other spices and cleaning off some of the pepper that I could but it wasn't enough. I ate it anyway.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Yesterday I wanted to make some fried bananas, and the batter to dip the bananas in before frying called for corn starch. I didn't have any, so I thought some finely ground cornmeal would do. It didn't. The batter fell apart in the oil, and the bananas broke as i was trying to get them out. All I could salvage were a few pieces.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
The worst thing that comes to mind is one thanksgiving I was fixing potato salad but forgot to peel the potatoes before I mashed them. My mom had a fit and made me fix a new batch while we just had the first batch be garlic potatoes. Two potato dishes that year.

She's a bit of a perfectionist.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
"Ruined" is only a state of mind; I for one enjoy a full shaker of garlic powder on my chicken, or a crusty black layer on my steak and egg shells in my omelette.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Any time I separate egg yokes, ab out 1 in 5 times I will dump a yoke in to the whites bowl.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Now this is more of a reading error than a cooking error, but I'll add it.

I am in love with using garlic when I cook, I use it for almost everything. Since it's a lot of work to prepare it without the proper equipment I just buy powdered garlic and that works just as well. Now there's also a product called garlic salt which is salt with a little garlic and the last time I was buying garlic I bought that by accident. Now I have been cooking a lot before I noticed the error. Now I use garlic like there's no tomorrow, but too much salt ruins the taste. Now I knew I had added too much salt because of the nasty taste, but I thought that was because one of my other spices had salt in it so I reduced that and it still tasted bad. Yeah, be careful with spices. Also I can't possiblt think how onion would ruin food, it makes no sense.

Hoplon said:
Any time I separate egg yokes, ab out 1 in 5 times I will dump a yoke in to the whites bowl.
I am fairly good at both cooking and baking, but separating egg yolks is the worst thing you can make me do.