Coolest/badassiest military ranks?

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
What the title says, which military rank do you think has the coolest name, or distinguishing marks, like the eagle of an American colonel and such?

For me it's a draw between two, privates in the Norwegian army's armored batallion are called Dragoons, which is a remainder from the days of cavalry on horseback. The other would be enlisted privates in the Norwegian army, who are called Grenadiers, same reason, stuck around since Ye Olden Times.

How about you?

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I've always liked Commander and Master Bombardier, both have a good ring to them.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Daystar Clarion said:

I dunno, something about Major just sounds right to me.
Why is she standing outside a Games workshop? Product placement?

OT: I've always liked the sound of Captain personally, simple and effective.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
I've always thought Staff Sergeant sounded pretty badass. Maybe that's because I learned of an actual soldier whose name was Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster, but still.

Field Marshall sounds awesome as well, but I don't know if that rank is used anymore.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Inquisitor obviously, best part is noone ever expects you.
But I guess God Emperor isn't bad either, unless death is a job requirement.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I like Lieutenant Colonel (especially if you pronounce it the British way). It's like two ranks in one!

And obviously Commander is pretty cool too.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Captain.

It also has the advantage of simultaneously meaning a bunch of different things.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Melon Hunter said:
I've always thought Staff Sergeant sounded pretty badass. Maybe that's because I learned of an actual soldier whose name was Staff Sergeant Max Killmaster, but still.

Field Marshall sounds awesome as well, but I don't know if that rank is used anymore.
It is in some countries, but I think it's kind of a special edition deal, so it's pretty rare for anyone to be promoted to it, since it's basically a four-star general, special edition.

Also Centurion, which I forgot in my first post. And yes, I do have a thing for old-timey stuff.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Dragoons is probably my second favourite, but commander has to win this contest.

'Yes sir Master Chief sir' comes in third place.

BlazeRaider

Dec 25, 2009
Brigadier always sounded awesome to me, just seems to have an aura of authority and power around it. Also Brigadier-General.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Master Chief???

does that count?
Yes it does, and this. It's always sounded so gloriously over the top to me, a bit like how some men's grooming products are advertised by adding random 'power' words to them ('New Gilette STRENGTH FORCE: MAX, for MEN!') Almost like someone said, "Hey, Master and Chief are both titles that imply strength in leadership, so let's slam'em both together to make all new MASTER CHIEF: DELUX, for MEN!"

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Mr.K. said:
Inquisitor obviously, best part is noone ever expects you.
But I guess God Emperor isn't bad either, unless death is a job requirement.
Problem being, it's not a military rank, it's an ecclesiastic rank... not that it matters considering everyone would shit themselves once one points at you and shouts 'you fight for me now' (or words to that effect).

Saregon said:
For me it's a draw between two, privates in the Norwegian army's armored batallion are called Dragoons, which is a remainder from the days of cavalry on horseback.
Only just occurred to me, but I think that's not quite right (though not being Norwegian, I may well be wrong, myself), but 'Dragoons' is the battalion's designation (with some appropriate pre-cursor), while privates are labelled as 'Trooper' (at least the C18th ones and onwards were called as such... or equivalent). As the 'dragoon' was a troop type and not a rank, denoting an evolution from the pistolier i.e. mounted infantry who did the bulk of outflank/feinting in post-baroque era battles. I think the term 'dragoon' rather lost its meaning and became just another type of heavy cavalry by the late 1700's. Ah well...

Saregon said:
Also Centurion, which I forgot in my first post. And yes, I do have a thing for old-timey stuff.
Yah... though it's very difficult to find mid-ranking officer titles that don't sound all that douchey, because Tribune isn't that imposing. However, I'll go with the Polybian highest ranking career soldier: Primus Prior... a certain elegance to it.

For a while, I was also into antiquities Greek ranks, but stuff like lochagos, polemarchos etc. just don't have that good a ring to them...

BlazeRaider said:
Brigadier always sounded awesome to me, just seems to have an aura of authority and power around it. Also Brigadier-General.
I'm hesitant to ask if you're French-Canadian or not, but what about GƩnƩral de Brigade... even though all three basically are the same thing, but never mind... -_-

OT: Thought of another one... Adolf Galland's one-time rank: General der Jagdflieger. Awesome for both the sound and the literal translation.