Coolest/badassiest military ranks?

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I'd have to second Master and Commander, but i'm also fond of Captain, Colonel and Wing Commander and Commissar.

Also, Gunnery Sargent, makes it sound like you pack a lot of firepower.

Less fond of rank titles such as Rear-Admiral...sounds slightly homoerotic.

Lord_Nemesis

Paragon Printer
Nov 28, 2010
I met a guy who was a 'Gunnery Sergeant' and he was one of the scariest dudes I have ever met so gonna go with that one.

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
I've always been a fan of Warrant Officer. It just sounds good.

That and Wing Commander. I'd be sitting in my plane pretending to be Mark Hamill making "whoosh" sounds and wishing I was talking to lion people.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
My favorite is probably Master Sergeant Shooter Sergeant Important Person of Sergeants Extreme.

BristolBerserker

Aug 3, 2011
Any soldier will tell you the most feared rank in the army is the Regimental Sergeant Major so I'm going with that one.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Fleet Admiral, only exists during wartime, and commands the Navy.
You know, that huge orgnization with Fighter jets, floating cities, and weapons grade reactors on their carriers/subs (also carrying weapons grade nuclear weapons)

Yea, he commands it all during wartime. Don't make him angry. You.....wouldn't like him when he's angry.

Also, they never retire from active duty, because they can't.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I think a simple, Captain would be neat--it shows that you've command and experience with it, and then lieutenant still is pretty neat beneath it.
But, as my third rank, I would pick Grand Moff. How many other Moffs do you know and how many of them are of suitable positions to be deemed grand?
That's right, none. Now return to your post, soldier, or you shall find your sleeping quarters transferred to outside the airlock.
EDIT: In retrospect, I decided to see what a normal "Moff" is... And some site likes associating it with nudity. I am rather appalled by this, but, nonetheless...Grand Moff seems less appealing to me than it once was.

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
I've always liked Commodore, always had a good ring to it, and having the rank of Staff Sergeant always helps to preemptively tell people not not to fuck with you lol

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
It depends what your last name is.

If your last name is Mustard, Colonel is best. If your last name is Parts, Private must be advanced passed quickly. Anybody in Norway with the last name Lance would be a great Dragoon. If your last name is Disaray, you should be a general. If your last name is Crunch you'd make a stellar Captain.

I could go all night so I'll just stop.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Lord Kloo said:
The Most Honourable 1st Marquess of Kedleston, Viceroy of India George Nathaniel Curzon, Knight of the Garter, Order of the Star of India, Order of the Indian Empire, Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council.
That is indeed the most glorious title ever. Although if my name was Crunch I would probably be forced to advance to captain and stay there forever. Would be hilarious to see other officer's faces when I introduced myself.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Melon Hunter said:
I've always thought Staff Sergeant sounded pretty badass. Maybe that's because I learned of an actual soldier whose name was Staff Sergeant Max Killmaster, but still.

Field Marshall sounds awesome as well, but I don't know if that rank is used anymore.
That's Staff Sgt. Max Fightmaster, actually.

Also I'll go with Captain in the US Navy. They have the same eagle insignia of a Colonel in the Army/Marines/Air Force, and are always COs of whole ships or bases.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Corporal, I like how it is pronounced. Also it was my title in WoW until I changed faction to horde, now Im but a lowly grunt.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
Captain

It's just perfect, and relays authority so damn well.
"Jenkins, fetch me a coffee. Why? Because I'm the captain damnit!"

Can a colonel marry a couple? No, all he can do is stand there like a dumbass twiddling his thumbs. A captain? Done in 5 minutes.
Personal transportation? A general has a sedan, and a heli when shit gets real. A captain? An entire ship at his command.

A captain is judge, jury and executioner on his ship, and anyone that comes aboard his ship has to fall in line with HIS rules. The Pope comes on board? Pick up a knife and start peeling potatoes grandpa!

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Freaky Lou said:
Melon Hunter said:
I've always thought Staff Sergeant sounded pretty badass. Maybe that's because I learned of an actual soldier whose name was Staff Sergeant Max Killmaster, but still.

Field Marshall sounds awesome as well, but I don't know if that rank is used anymore.
That's Staff Sgt. Max Fightmaster, actually.

Also I'll go with Captain in the US Navy. They have the same eagle insignia of a Colonel in the Army/Marines/Air Force, and are always COs of whole ships or bases.
Ah, so it was. My mistake. I think Staff Sergeant Max Killmaster is a name too manly to apply to any mortal.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Jonluw said:
Um hello?
Major general?
The funny thing about Major Generals is that they are actually a rank below Lieutenant Generals which I kind of find funny. Mainly because Major is a higher rank than Lieutenant.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Sappers/Pioneers have always sounded cool. They're probably not used anymore but the were all the rage in ww2, yo!

...maybe.