cop out review

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
Cop Out review

I recently watched the movie "Cop Out" by Kevin Smith and was pleasantly surprised. In a simple sentence, it's hilarious. The movie is side-splitting from beginning to end and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good laugh.

My opinion about the movie wasn't always as reassuring as it is. When I first saw the movie trailer I was suspicious because it didn't look funny to me. After actually seeing it, however, my opinion was turned instantly from minute one; it was extremely funny. From the interrogation scene to the home break-in, the movie is full of fun. One of the things that makes it so funny is the soundtrack. Nearly all the movie's music sounds like cheesy cop-flick music from the eighties and nineties; that just adds to the atmosphere of this ridiculousness. It works because the music matches the comedy; it is silly and a little outlandish but at the same time matches the essence of the movie perfectly. It has the balls to play that funky cop music even at times of high action or even when there is a serious moment. The music is almost a way to poke fun at itself by saying "yes this is a movie about two badass cops taking down a ruthless killer but it is still a comedy".

Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan make an excellent comedy duo and complement each other's styles by being complete opposites. Morgan, with his eccentric and out-going attitude, brings a lot of action when compared to Willis' more calm approach and jab-humor. What really sold the movie for me though is that while the jokes are funny and humorous, there is still an actual story going on; there is still a narrative. The main story in a nut shell is about a cold-blooded killer who is trying to control the east side drug trade and needs to be stopped. That is what I liked so much about this movie; it's the best of both worlds. Not only is there a main narrative but each character has their own personal side stories. Willis' side story is his journey to retrieve his rare baseball card so he can sell it to pay for his daughter's wedding because it is his only means of making up that large sum of money. That secondary story is also an aside to that whole father and daughter situation but more importantly that old cop tale of the man whose so enthralled and dedicated to his job and losses his family in the process. Morgan's side story is his worries about his wife's fidelity. That turns to his own jealousy and conflictions when he has to make a decision about his own fidelity. That too is an aside to the old cop tale and fear of "the wife" whose all alone at home day in and day out and whether or not she is cheating on her husband.

One of the things that sold this story for me is director Kevin Smith. This movie is full of his style and movie talent. Whether it be the occasional dick joke or the introduction of an off-beat, zany character, this is definitely a Kevin Smith comedy. What makes this movie so personally funny to me is the history between Kevin Smith and Bruce Willis. Anyone in the movie making profession could probably never see Bruce Willis acting in a Kevin Smith film and on that premise alone the movie gains some merit. When Kevin Smith did his role in "Live Free or Die Hard" (he was the hacker "the warlock" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb1JYOeLNJ4) he and Bruce Willis hit it off. Later, Willis prompted Smith to possibly come up with a movie for them to do together. First Smith was ecstatic about the idea but, to his own peril, realized he could never think up an idea that would be good enough for Bruce Willis. This movie is proof that there was an idea floating around in Smith's head that was good enough. I give it two thumbs up with a huge recommendation for anyone who likes action comedies. It's a great comedy movie for this early 2010 year to start off with.