Corporate Responsibility Kills Humor

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
I wonder what if they started doing this kind of thing just to bait and troll media sites?
"Here's something preposterous that you can rage and snark about"
"Just kidding! All that content you were working on is now irrelevant."

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
The Harkinator said:
Since I always complain about "too many words/pictures do not work" whenever I comment here I'll drop the "brevity is the soul of wit" thing in favour of something nicer.

Holding a nerf gun to one's own head, and the STOP BEING REASONABLE sign were decent uses of your visual medium. Try to expand on that for further success.
FFN's first strip hit the web on 11/29/2001: http://ffn.nodwick.com/?p=6 and have published hundreds of strips since.
They also have numerous collected editions of FFN you can purchase. They are already very successful.

Try doing a little research first before commenting. That's what search engines are for.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Houseman said:
J.McMillen said:
The Harkinator said:
Since I always complain about "too many words/pictures do not work" whenever I comment here I'll drop the "brevity is the soul of wit" thing in favour of something nicer.

Holding a nerf gun to one's own head, and the STOP BEING REASONABLE sign were decent uses of your visual medium. Try to expand on that for further success.
FFN's first strip hit the web on 11/29/2001: http://ffn.nodwick.com/?p=6 and have published hundreds of strips since.
They also have numerous collected editions of FFN you can purchase. They are already very successful.

Try doing a little research first before commenting. That's what search engines are for.
I think you quoted the wrong post...

Anyway, RE: the quality of this comic.

It could be the most-loved most-popular, most-successful webcomic this side of Penny Arcade, but if WE don't like it, shouldn't it get the heck off the site? WE'RE the audience here. WE'RE the consumer. WE bring the eyeballs, and thus, the money. Whatever fanbase they have is clearly lacking representation here. Whatever critical praise they get is meaningless because if it doesn't justify its own existence with page views, it gets canceled.

So I don't see why bringing up its legacy is relevant.
One should keep in mind that we are in a world made up of billions of people, which leads to International communities such as ours, to become quite diverse in our tastes. A little awareness, instead of tunnel-vision, is all that is needed in discussions such as these. A much better solution, until hard-numbers are presented, instead of presuming to speak for this collective "...we..." that you are referring to in your argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I get that the joke is that you're directly addressing your readers, but what with the wall-'o-texts it always feels like that anyway.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Can I just point something out real quick? "Brevity is the soul of wit" is an ironic quote from a character who thinks he knows something about wit even though it's abundantly clear that he's an unfunny idiot.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
The Wooster said:
Can I just point something out real quick? "Brevity is the soul of wit" is an ironic quote from a character who thinks he knows something about wit even though it's abundantly clear that he's an unfunny idiot.
And that makes the phrase less accurate how, exactly?

Oh, that's right. It doesn't.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
The Wooster said:
The line "brevity is the soul of wit" occurs in an overlong monologue. The joke is supposed to be that he should take his own advice.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Alma Mare said:
The Wooster said:

Oh boy, I have to explain context. Well, sonny, it's because the phrase is part of a monologue where the joke is how long the monologue is. It disproves itself, and the people breaking it out as if it's some profound commentary on the nature of comedy are both missing the point and inadvertently likening themselves to a character known for not being funny. Ironically, that is pretty funny.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Houseman said:
but if WE don't like it, shouldn't it get the heck off the site? WE'RE the audience here. WE'RE the consumer. WE bring the eyeballs, and thus, the money. Whatever fanbase they have is clearly lacking representation here. Whatever critical praise they get is meaningless because if it doesn't justify its own existence with page views, it gets canceled.
Sorry but I voted for Kodos, not you. I enjoy FFN. Which usually doesn't make me feel the urge to come here and complain about it.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
The Wooster said:
Alma Mare said:
The Wooster said:

Oh boy, I have to explain context. Well, sonny, it's because the phrase is part of a monologue where the joke is how long the monologue is. It disproves itself, and the people breaking it out as if it's some profound commentary on the nature of comedy are both missing the point and inadvertently likening themselves to a character known for not being funny. Ironically, that is pretty funny.
Pound on your Shakespeare all you like, "sonny". I know where the phrase comes from. No one missed the point because the point was never about Polonius, it's about a shitty comic having more words in 3 panels than the average rap song. Which defeats the purpose of a medium that is both visual and fast-paced. And the original sentence doesn't disprove itself since Polonius fails to be both witty or succint - this says more about him than the accuracy of the statement.