Cosplayers Transform My Little Pony Cast Into "Princess Warriors"

Flathole

Sep 5, 2015
Hiddelgreyk said:
008Zulu said:
I'd watch this show. Have to rename it though, none of them are ponies.
My Little Warrior Princess?
10/10

I can't help but think about all that skin though. While they all look beautiful, my mind was thinking, "Not much protection in a fight," the whole time. Which is weird, because usually that thought doesn't jump right into the front of my head.
Uhh, Rarity- we don't normally wear clothes.

obligatory: can't help but envy the guy right in the center of all that action, too.

Gronk

Jun 24, 2013
While I can appreciate the effort, I think it sucks that they have to make a childrens franchise into sexy costumes. Mlp is not about sexy, it's about giving young girls an intelligent tv-show with girls as positive role models. So for that: thumbs down.

sexualizing childrens' franchises is just plain creepy if you stop and think about it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Gronk said:
While I can appreciate the effort, I think it sucks that they have to make a childrens franchise into sexy costumes. Mlp is not about sexy, it's about giving young girls an intelligent tv-show with girls as positive role models. So for that: thumbs down.

sexualizing childrens' franchises is just plain creepy if you stop and think about it.
I'd argue it was a common thing when a character is well rounded/enjoyable enough to seem real. Also, Lauren Faust as well as many of the staff involved have stated their goal was not to make a show/characters specifically for 'little girls' but to make something that kinda broke down those archetypes. This cosplay is tooooootally in tune with what the show tries to do... just, kinda, sexier.

OT: Dayum...

Celestia and Luna even kinda look like sisters!

Gronk

Jun 24, 2013
PunkRex said:
Gronk said:

I'd argue it was a common thing when a character is well rounded/enjoyable enough to seem real. Also, Lauren Faust as well as many of the staff involved have stated their goal was not to make a show/characters specifically for 'little girls' but to make something that kinda broke down those archetypes. This cosplay is tooooootally in tune with what the show tries to do... just, kinda, sexier.

Sorry, but no. In the interviews I've read, she repeatedly states the target audience for the show were Young girls, and how that was a factor when keeping the humour on a kid-friendly level. I don't know If i'm allowed to post links here, but you can PM me and I can send you links.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Gronk said:
PunkRex said:
Gronk said:

Sorry, but no. In the interviews I've read, she repeatedly states the target audience for the show were Young girls, and how that was a factor when keeping the humour on a kid-friendly level. I don't know If i'm allowed to post links here, but you can PM me and I can send you links.
I suppose I jumped the gun and typed without thinking there. I know that a lot of Faust's media in particular is aimed at younger girls, what I'm getting at is that she's very adamant about breaking down these preconceived notions concerning young girls entertainment. Faust put together a team that could make a cute show that actually had stakes, action, danger, good music, etc as well as fleshed out characters. When a character is well rounded they're gonna have these sorts of emotions/aspects of their personality come up, we've seen one of the main characters use her feminine wiles to convince (and fail at convincing) other cast members to do stuff for her before, her confidence (and the testing of it in later eps) is a big part of her charm.

Although female characters tend to get overly sexualized even in media aimed at young girls (I'm not implying that's the case for MLP, they are ponies after all), I don't believe it's necessarily a bad thing, what's bad is when that's all there is. I understand your concern, it is pretty jarring to type a MLP characters name into Goggle and have adult material pop up but my point is that when people get this attached to a show they're gonna have some fun and I don't believe kids are so fragile as to be ruined by exposure to it, at least when it's contextualized properly. Hell, one of MLP's characters has been basically canonized as a drunk, as long as the show doesn't go saying that that's a perfectly fine way to live I don't see a problem with it.