Cosplaying "Gunmen" Arrested At Ottawa Comic Convention

soul_rune1984

Mar 7, 2008
I live in Ottawa, I attend these conventions when I can, I think they deserved to be fined and their vehicle impounded. Hopefully they learned a lesson and others will learn from it as well.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Being dressed and like that with gun facsimiles outside government buildings was dumb. Hopefully the fine and car impounding (bomb check I suspect) will be the end of it for these guys. Being arrested may have simply involved being brought back to a staion. It would be an injustice to have this ruin their professional careers.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Perfectly legit action. How difficult is it to pack those replicas into a bag or a case on your way to the convention? Even in a place where open carry is allowed, you wouldn't be walking around with your weapon out like you're on patrol in downtown Baghdad. Now fair enough, if these guys had their weapons slung over their shoulders then it's a different deal, but it's a fairly safe bet they were holding them in both hands or at least resting them against their bodies from a sling.

Common sense should dictate the difference between looking "open carry" (plus people in those states/whatever should be aware of that law anyway) and looking "ready for combat".

I'd rather the police roll heavy on these cases instead of second-guessing themselves. It's like Swatting other gamers; the police don't have the luxury of guessing whether or not it's someone crying wolf or if someone is really walking around downtown Ottawa with an assault rifle with lethal intent.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
The Bucket said:
marurder said:
Vehicle impounded? What possible justification do they have to do that?
I'm wondering this as well. The fine and confiscating the guns are perfectly reasonable to me, but the car had nothing to do with the crime
They reportedly had trouble with the meter, maybe they didnt pay? :p

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
ITT
Citizens who would be my favored children if I were to become fascist God Emperor of Mankind.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
albino boo said:
If you are too lazy to even look at my profile that isn't my problem .
Your profile is no concern to me, your attitude is.

albino boo said:
Hint I live country6 where the police are not routinely armed and gun licensing is one of the most restrictive in the world.
Then why would you assume that they could be killed on sight? ? The police of first world countries is usually not known to be trigger happy.

ryukage_sama said:
Being dressed and like that with gun facsimiles outside government buildings was dumb.
I really like how many like to point at the government building. Maybe these guys were from out of town and therefore didn?t know?
I mean you guys may be walking maps but I don't know the location or look of the city hall of the next town?

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Ushiromiya Battler said:
I don't know about Canada, but in Norway(and Sweden) they're not required to have orange tips, so wearing a replica gun can be an actual threat.
That's my entire point. The article tells us they did something wrong and the punishment, but not what that something was.

As for what law they broke, probably the same one where screaming ''BOMB'' in a theater is illegal.
First off it's "fire", second that's an American law, and third that only covers what is protected under "free speech". But let's have some fun with it.

I've had that one cited at me a few times (because I open carry a pistol sometimes), so I ask this. IF, and that's a big "if", the only thing they did was to cause people to become scared without acting threatening which law do we follow? (Again, assuming no other laws were broken) Do we respect the law that says those gentlemen can lawfully carry those replicas or do we respect the law saying you can't cause false panic? At what point do your rights trump mine when we're both acting lawfully? That's why I wanted to know exactly what the charges were and what punishment went with which charge.