Could a Character Based On Yourself Survive The End of the World?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
So... I am not the only who started coming up with ideas for when a hostile military force invades the city I am in?

Ideas which could translate quite well into any of the Eotw scenarios...

Cool

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
briankoontz said:
(Snipped GOLD.)
Good god, man- that was, well... awesome!

And I totally agree, it just seems that either the rich or really smug, self-serving survivalist loner assholes will make it, the best humanity has to offer while flushing humanity down the toilet.

I'll be a zombie, but mainly because I'm fat and slow and don't know parkour or BJJ.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
The_Darkness said:
Oh that sounds fun...

And PLEASE tell me that you can start the game with "You and your friends were just sitting down to play a role-playing-game when you were interrupted by (insert Aliens/Zombies/Gods/Robots here)." You could even have the DM be the first victim - handily explaining why they're not 'playing'.
Pretty much happened in one of my games. Except it was reapers and we had to go and become spectres. I hated the first few sessions because I hate roleplaying as myself since I am a shit human being but I learnt to like it after several sessions and when I started differentiating he character from myself to make it more interesting.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Sounds interesting, will buy if have RL friends living close to me, unfortunately they all so far far away.

Shimmer

Jun 8, 2014
But would the rich survive? Given a true post-apocalypse scenario, what would they have of value that they could trade? Unless they have all been secret preppers themselves and have access to stashes of food and weaponry they are going to be in the same hole as the rest of us, possibly worse, as they are less likely to have gained skills which could potentially be useful. There is also the potential that other 'survivors' assume that 'the rich' have access to supplies and make them an actual target that way.

I could make a really long post about this (it's a personal interest - the whole post-apocalypse scenario thing, not the fate of the rich) but it's a first post, so I'll not inflict one of my encyclopaedian word-dumps on everyone.

But thanks for the post briankoontz, it made me think, and that's always good.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Shimmer said:
But would the rich survive? Given a true post-apocalypse scenario, what would they have of value that they could trade?
rich mansions that could offer security? top of the line electricity bacup systems that would mean theirs would be the only place on the town still working, ect? theres plenty advantages the rich have in such scenario.

Mar 30, 2010
The_Darkness said:
Oh that sounds fun...

And PLEASE tell me that you can start the game with "You and your friends were just sitting down to play a role-playing-game when you were interrupted by (insert Aliens/Zombies/Gods/Robots here)." You could even have the DM be the first victim - handily explaining why they're not 'playing'.
According to the blurb on the website, that's exactly the kind of thing they're aiming at.

"As luck would have it, the apocalypse begins as you and your friends sit down to play a roleplaying game. There?s plenty of pencils and paper close at hand, but that won?t do much good against a zombie horde. Do you bring cash and hope that other survivors accept it as currency? How much battery life does your cell phone have left? A butcher knife from the kitchen might be the best weapon you can find at short notice."

OT: Looks cool. I'll definitely be suggesting this to my RP group (especially as half of them are too lazy to do a proper zombie survival run).

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I think a character based on myself could surive the usual trope zombie ... as I live in Australia. Australia is an island. It has pentiful agricultural assets, and plentiful mineable assets. So I think I could do quite well during a zombie outbreak. Unless it is a Romero-style zombie who rises simply because a person died (of anything). Then I'd be fucked.

Machine revolt, terminator style? Nah ... dead by the first week. Even assuming the network didn't go all Skynet on us and blew up the world with nukes. As I live in a big city in an industrialized nation, so we'd e amongst the first to mechanize and use A.I robotics. That being said, Australia is pretty fierce with gun ownership laws, so maybe we might survive as public robotic assets wouldn't be armed, that being said neither is the public.

Alien invasion? Hmmmm ... not sure ... do they need human vassals to kneel at their feet? Totes survive then, I can kiss ass with the best of them.

All in all ... I'm pretty sure I, like the 99% of people on the planet, would be forced to do whatever we needed to to survive and would likely be looking out solely for numero uno. If the mantra that "Cowards live the longest" holds true, then I might die of old age ... I'd say a flip of a coin, but don't expect any heroics. If I survive it will be precisely because I'm NOT doing any heroics of any kind.

---------------------------
From a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being the lowest, 10 being the highest.

Dexterity: 4 (Dancing and hiding/sneaking only.)

Vitality: 2 (Yeah, I need to take 3 different medications to keep ticking.)

logic: 10 (Looking out only for myself? Check.)

Willpower: 10 (Being able to ignore the screams of dying children, and crawling over broken glass on my hands and knees to kiss the boots of whatever overlord that threatens me? Check.)

Charisma: 8 (Hey, I can beg and plead with the best of them.)

Empathy: 2 (I feel the pain of other people intuitively, but do I care so much as to risk my own life? Not a chance, bucko!)

Justifications:

Given I have been taken hostage before in far off lands, with a kidnapper who was tossing up whether to just shoot me and leave me bleeding on the side of the road I know for a fact I'm no hero. Not going to pretend any other life-threatening situations are going to end with me acting any differently.

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
Hell yeah....

Not much good in a fight I'll grant you, but I'm one hell of a maker. I'm also a keen gardner, with a bit of survivalist training, so food/resources/shelter I can take care of.

That being said, Zombies? sure if shambling, no problem... the faster type? i'd need a fighters help, same with Aliens.

God&Robots, We're all fracked