Could a light saber be possible to make?

Hellkite_Overload

Jul 15, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
Actually, I remember watching a history channel special "Star Wars Tech", which tries to see just how plausible Star Wars technology is, including lightsabers. It was uploaded on Youtube, take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBW7Y1Qj94k

I saw that a while ago. they completely missed the point of "energy-sword" >:/ and instead focused ENTIRELY on why Lasers and Plasma don't work. It was still very interesting though! I recomend anyone to watch it :)

EDIT: the portion about plasma-windows especially, was very intriguing. that looks like promising tech on the horizon

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
ignoring the whole powersource bit

as for star wars type lightsabers no they would not exist (or at least not safely)

keep in mind lasers are light (think laser pointers)
without the metal end piece like on the no more heros type the lazer part would just keep going
(yes eventually it would fade enough at a certain point to be harmless) but such a powerful beam would go too far to handle easily

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
Even if you did manage to focus a great deal of energy into a laser blade (it is possible), there would be extreme health risks involved in using it. It would need a great deal of energy for it to be powerful enough to be focused into a blade of pure plasma/light so that would require a nuclear generator which would give off a great deal of radiation. Also the heat required for it to so easily cut through virtually any surface would be millions of degrees which would set the user on fire or outright disintegrate his flesh and bones into ashes.

So how do we explain the Sith and Jedi safely being able to use it? The Force/Magic.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
There's a lot of high-end physics, metallurgy, optics, and engineering that goes into explaining it, so I'll just give the short version.

Is it possible? Yes
Is it practical (as a weapon)? No

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Buchholz101 said:
I think it's more plausible for there to be a laser baton that inflicts heavy burns on contact. More inclined to inflict pain than to kill.

so in other words the stun club from the ape escape series

Hellkite_Overload

Jul 15, 2011
chickenhound said:
ignoring the whole powersource bit

as for star wars type lightsabers no they would not exist (or at least not safely)

keep in mind lasers are light (think laser pointers)
without the metal end piece like on the no more heros type the lazer part would just keep going
(yes eventually it would fade enough at a certain point to be harmless) but such a powerful beam would go too far to handle easily
again...not made of lasers. and yes they could exist (health hazards aside) risk of burns to the user is the biggest practial kink.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
AtheistConservative said:
The question is, why would you want to limit the beam? If you have a laser powerful enough to cut through flesh, and a power source small enough to be practical, why wouldn't you just use it as a gun?
Due to the laser traveling in continous line until it reflected or absorbed; it would be quite easy to cause friendly fire. Now it would be practical if the laser was fired in bursts and not a continous beam.

OT: Sure in theory you could make some form laser/light sword. However probably not anytime soon and doesn't even seem to be of that much use.

*EDIT* Also to all the people saying that lightsabers don't use lasers; stop calling it a lightsaber then! Lasers are bascily highly focused light. *EDIT*

Vindestructable

Mar 5, 2011
werewolfsfury said:
If I remember correctly they have in fact made them in real life they are heavy and not recomended for any type of dueling.
from what I understand its theoretically possible to make something similar to a lightsaber blade out of plasma but the machine required to create the containment field would be the size of a room

Abengoshis

Aug 12, 2009
It shouldn't be a laser, it should just be ionized gases (plasma) between the two ends. That way you'd not only be able to actually see the lightsaber effect, but it'd be super hot too. Of course you'd have to contain the gases so they don't diffuse into the environment, so a strong magnetic field would probably have to be used.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
Regardless of whether or not the blade is actually possible or not (I particularly enjoy Overlord's thesis which seems to be within the realm of potential reality at least), none of that can really override the obvious flaw in the weapon. Even if by the grace of god you managed to find something to contain the radiation/heat from whatever infinite power source you managed to find, it doesn't change that the sheer heat and volume of energy the blade itself would give off would burn you within seconds. Just holding something that would have to be nearly as hot or powerful as a NASA rocket launch, if not the surface of the sun itself, in your hand would kill you near instantly.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Is it possible yes
practical for any kind of war in the future: for building to building combat room by room if they lose there laser pistol so unlikely

why have a sword when you have a gun?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well technically there already one. I can't remember the name but the Escapist had made a news on it since it was very dangerous (it wasn't a real beam but it was very hot).
I think it is possible but not yet (need the right technology) since the problem is the power supply and keeping the beam within a length although with the No More Heroes Beam Katana would be the power supply and probably try to prevent it burning your hand.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I would think it is impossible. A laser is only visible at the point where it hits something. If you use a laser pen now and point at the wall. Only the dot on the wall is visible. There are in fact lasers with the strength to at least do damage on a target. We have a laser like that to use on a confocal microscope in biology. The laser is placed in a different room than the microscope because the heat form it is so strong that being in that room is bad for you. The room right next to it was also pretty hot because they were connected.
Holding a lightsaber would probably burn your fingers and it would weigh a ton. There would be no beam, it would just be a burning dot and it would have to have a stop point.

However, in theory it is possible. There are plenty of explanation why and how in this thread. However they also say how impractical those ideas are for various reasons. I honestly think it can't be done.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Tiger Sora said:
Two issues one being able to create a strong enough laser to cut through anything like you said. And the power supply. Battery tech has come a ways but the energy needed would be immense. The tech for the batteries are at minimal 400 years away. And it's impractical as a weapon as a bullet moving at x speed with it's size is not visible to the human eye so good luck getting a half inch or so beam in front of that to disintegrate it.

The tech though is practical for a cutting tool.
What happens if you could get it so it feeds itself a bit? I mean if you have the setup of the pics there you could get it so the energy that doesn't get lost could loop back. Clearly this is still impossible now, but it'd help the battery a bit anyway XD

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Reet72 said:
I personally have no idea and I really can't be bothered to find out. I think we should just ask Cave Johnson.
Yeah, he can have absolutely anything made if he just puts his mind to it.

Quantum space holes? NO PROBLEM! Flashy laser sword? Pffft, too easy.

I hear the combustible lemons project is going quite well.

Hellkite_Overload

Jul 15, 2011
SilverKyo said:
Regardless of whether or not the blade is actually possible or not (I particularly enjoy Overlord's thesis which seems to be within the realm of potential reality at least), none of that can really override the obvious flaw in the weapon. Even if by the grace of god you managed to find something to contain the radiation/heat from whatever infinite power source you managed to find, it doesn't change that the sheer heat and volume of energy the blade itself would give off would burn you within seconds. Just holding something that would have to be nearly as hot or powerful as a NASA rocket launch, if not the surface of the sun itself, in your hand would kill you near instantly.
Thank you :) And as a small note, the lightsaber would not need an infinite power source, as the right balance of blade and/or field intesity would (again theoretically) greatly reduce the amount of energy lost while the loop is active, but not cutting. So, granted it would have to be powerful, but a finite energy source could power the lightsaber for a good deal of time. And as for the problem of severe burns, I imagaine that could be somewhat mitigated by the same balance of power/field intensity and specialized protective gear worn by the user. I imagine it would be somewhat akin to swinging around a constantly active arc-welder...not very safe (for anyone involved xD) but weapons aren't really safe in general. A bigger concern in my mind is the effects of the intense containment fieled involed on human tissue (read: lots of cancer REALLY fast 0.o lol) Thank you again for aknowledging the potential of the design!

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
yes it is entirely possible. Michio Kaku did a series (Science of the Impossible) where he found out if science could physically do these things.
basically the handle is made of titanium, is filled with two compounds of plasma which a fan blows and mixes into the blade and is powered by nano-batteries.
he gave an estimate of 50 years until we have the tech to try this.
you cant use light though. it has no mass.