Could an action-RPG work without leveling up?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Responding to the topic title:

I don't see why not. Team Fortress 2 is probably the most popular example, with Role being dependent entirely on class and loadout, rather than scalable-stats.

oZode

Nov 15, 2011
I figure such RPG would work by replacing leveling with stuff along with gear that permanently increase stats and money would replace EXP since who needs experience when you can just buy it?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
GamemasterAnthony said:
I stand corrected. Unfortunately, this means that the OP's idea just got killed. If EXP is needed to create an RPG, then it becomes impossible to create an RPG without some sort of leveling system.
Funny you should mention that, when Call of Cthulhu is doing pretty much what OP suggested. Well, sort of - his suggestion just hides the details from the eye of the player. Basically, when you use a skill in CoC successfully, you (have a chance to) advance it. No XP to keep track of. So, again, a bit like TES only with no levels and more stuff covered up from the player.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Meaning of Karma said:
So, the only time someone is allowed to have a homosexual character is if their homosexuality has a bearing on the plot, or if it's the defining part of their character?

Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick, do you realize what you just said? Because it was pretty fuckin' stupid.
No, not at all.

Characters are totally allowed to be homosexual, and or lesbian, but it shouldn't in a token manor.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'd like to see a game do this:

The more you use something, the higher its' level gets.
-Swim a lot? Get longer time underwater and faster swimming.

Each level you'd get points to to unlock special skills of your class.
-Like 'Kingdoms of Amular'.

Every level you'd get HP/MP/etc points to go up automatically.

I'd also like to see more crafting, that's not all 'weird'.

The crystal and fate systems of KoA:R were REALLY nice.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Meaning of Karma said:
So, the only time someone is allowed to have a homosexual character is if their homosexuality has a bearing on the plot, or if it's the defining part of their character?

Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick, do you realize what you just said? Because it was pretty fuckin' stupid.
No, not at all.

Characters are totally allowed to be homosexual, and or lesbian, but it shouldn't in a token manor.
The problem is that in real life, openly homosexual people make up less than 5% of the population anyway. That means that unless your game has at least 20 characters important enough that their sexuality would even come up in conversation, you'll never find more than 1 homosexual in the crowd. And I dunno about you, but I have better things to discuss with my NPCs than their sexual preference.
How many companions can the main character have in Fallout:NV? like...10? That means that if two of them are homosexual (Veronica and Arcade) then statistically, they're actually OVER-represented in that particular group.
Homosexuality isn't obvious unless you're marching in a parade dressed as Dorothy. And that would just make them a stereotype. So if it makes you feel better, just assume that every other NPC is gay, and that the programmers didn't waste their time making it an obvious, over-the-top stereotype.

What makes them "token" is that their sexuality was brought up at all.

Anyway... what were we talking about before this thread got derailed?

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
What about an RPG where your health decreases the more you get hit, instead of increases? Each blow that lands does a small amount of permanent damage? It would take a pretty specific type of game to pull this off, but I think it could make for some very interesting player behavior and decision making.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Metroid worked without leveling up.
I'm sure you could do a castlevania with all the loot collecting, and none of the EXP.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Lazy said:
What about an RPG where your health decreases the more you get hit, instead of increases? Each blow that lands does a small amount of permanent damage? It would take a pretty specific type of game to pull this off, but I think it could make for some very interesting player behavior and decision making.
That's a bit over the top - if players are having a hard time, they'll be having an even harder time as they go along. However, it could be worked in. Perhaps not every hit, but, say, really strong blows (say, at least 20% or maybe 50% of your health, or something depending on how HP/Damage would relate to each other) can cripple and permanently scar you, reducing some attributes - broken arm for less strength; broken leg for less speed; ribs for max HP, and so on. Or you could make it reduce HP only. Perhaps to a reasonable amount (say, capped at 20%) or maybe you can heal that but very hard. Demon's Souls did something similar, as far as I know, but it's 50% of the HP on death.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Souplex said:
I'm sure you could do a castlevania with all the loot collecting, and none of the EXP.
Metroid isn't an RPG. If you did level up in Metroid, it would be an RPG.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Crono1973 said:
Souplex said:
Metroid isn't an RPG. If you did level up in Metroid, it would be an RPG.
Your character advances and improves, and I was just using it to point out that it could work for Castlevania

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Well it is a rather funny thing how slaughtering wildlife for a few weeks ultimately makes you more charismatic? Yes, some sort of advancement has to be in effect, or you might as well not play, but I'd rather the advancement to seamlessly occur where I've been training.

I mean killing beasts for a week will make you good at killing beasts. It won't magically give you the means to charm people in conversation or the knowledge to forge fine weapons from exotic metals.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I think Megaman Legends had something like that.

If I remember right, you can improve your stats not by leveling up but by buying upgrades with the amount of money you save up.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
Well, technically I make Oblivion work just fine without leveling up. You just have to choose your skills carefully in the areas that you are NOT going to actually use. A stealthy character may never even pick up a blunt weapon, or use destruction magic. A fighter might have no need for enchantment or sneak. Know which skill books are for your special skills. Avoid getting any skill ups that will give you level up progression.

I found it MORE fun than just playing it normally. Oblivion has that horrid enemies level with you system and leveled loot. I usually played through the game and was able to beat it at level 2 (due to that being the minimum level to get a daedric relic).

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
I'd like if someone tried removing level systems, skill trees and the like.

We need to move past RPG=managing numbers.

Keith Fraser

Mar 12, 2012
I'd go further and say that you could have an action RPG where your character doesn't gain stat/skill bonuses over the course of the game at all, because power-levelling isn't really the strict definition of the RP in RPG. A roleplaying game is simply one where you play a role - in video gaming, I'd define that as one where you have some control over the central character's personality and the decisions they make (beyond what/who to shoot at, which corridor to go down etc.). Most pen-and-paper RPGs have some sort of levelling/gaining skill points/whatever system, but it's not an absolute requirement.