Could it be possible?

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I have a feeling updating the graphics would be the easy part. Fixing all the fucked up mechanics, bugs, and glitches would be the hard part.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Why waste time and money remaking older games?

People complain about a lack of originality in the industry but want older titles to be remade?

No wonder publishers don't know what gamers want.

We don't even know what we want.
Seriously, can I borrow that for a script someday? It'll sound great in the trailer!

I've gotta say I agree. skyrim just...worked. True, I only started playing at oblivion, but I played that ALOT, and even I'll admit it was far from perfect. A couple of skills were useless/near impossible to get to a decent level (here's lookin' at you, archery!), going to sleep to level up was dumb, and some of the weapons just didn't feel different enough, like the difference between normal swords and great swords, I spent ages trying to figure out whether the great sword was slower, or whether it was just my imagination. Skyrim fixed the issues, then added a lot of it's own. Shouts, a nordic style, dual weilding, perks, and soon, crossbows.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I should play the earlier games before making such a claim, but it feels like the ultimate elder scrolls game. Although nostalgia will eventually force me back to cyrodill, (that, and the shivering isles) I can imagine going back to older mechanics feeling like a step back.

Sure, you could remake those games with skyrim's mechanics...but then, what's the point besides visiting those locations?

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Someone is actually developing an open source version of Morrowind from scratch. I think it's really cool if this fixes some of the bugs and adds on better modding opportunities, but I'd personally rather play a newer Elder Scrolls game.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

People complain about a lack of originality in the industry but want older titles to be remade?

No wonder publishers don't know what gamers want.

We don't even know what we want.
Everyone is a hivemind allowed to only have one opinion, apparently.

But we all obviously know that already, since we're a hivemind, so I don't know why I bothered to say it.

On topic: Possible maybe, though it'd probably have to look closer to morrowind than oblivion due to the size of the game.

Will it? Never. You're better off holding your breath for DaggerXL, think a few people have thrown together graphics mods for it.(http://xlengine.com/forums/)

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Hazy992 said:
TopazFusion said:
Guys.
The horse.
You can stop beating it to death now.
The jokes dead now and you're now, in my eyes anyway, starting to be twats. So...yeah, just thought I'd share that.

OT: Possibly but I'm guessing the work involved would immense.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
A game the size of Daggerfall MIGHT be possible with modern day Procedurally generating game engines. But the question is, why would we want that?

There is a shit ton to do in Skyrim... lack of activities isn't the problem. Exploration is a lot more fulfilling when the environments you visit are hand crafted to look amazing then if they were randomly generated...

I'd prefer it if they refined and improved mechanics... even add more at this point, rather then remake a game that just won't translate well into the current gen.

But, if someone attempts it, I'll definitely be interested.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Mournful Crow said:
Could it be possible for Bethesda to take The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall, and remake it with perhaps a new graphics layover? Would Morrowind have a better chance with this instead?

Personally, I would like to see Morrowind remade with a simple graphics layover, whilst keeping the gameplay and variation of objects the same...
Is more a modders job than a devs job imo.

As others have stated, most people would much rather have devs working on new titles than remaking older ones.

That's not even mentioning the inevitable cries of outrage about milking a title, turning into EA, etc etc.

Jmp_man

Apr 24, 2011
*sigh*

I can't believe that no one has mentioned this yet:
http://daggerxl.wordpress.com/

It's a in development remake of Daggerfall (I'm not sure when it will be finished but...)

!!!Note!!!

The game is no longer being hosted at the above website and has moved to this site here:
http://xlengine.com/

Also the page on moddb because it's much easier to get a gist of game from one page instead of an entire website.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/daggerxl

...this is what you were looking for right?

Edit: Taking another look at the website I'm not sure if thing is even alive. Sad really...
BREATHE DAMNIT! BREEEEAAATTTTTHHHHHEEEEEE!!!! Oh, what could have been...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
TopazFusion said:
Hazy992 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
a lot of money, time, and effort
Karutomaru? Is that you?
Oh god, it's spreading.

OT: My guess is that when Bethesda run out of locations in Tamriel, they'll go back to locations we've already been.
So we may revisit there again, who knows.
If they do run out of places in Tamriel I would like to see Bethesda do Akavir next. I would like to play as a Tsaesci.

Mournful Crow

May 1, 2012
distortedreality said:
Mournful Crow said:
Could it be possible for Bethesda to take The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall, and remake it with perhaps a new graphics layover? Would Morrowind have a better chance with this instead?

Personally, I would like to see Morrowind remade with a simple graphics layover, whilst keeping the gameplay and variation of objects the same...
Is more a modders job than a devs job imo.

As others have stated, most people would much rather have devs working on new titles than remaking older ones.

That's not even mentioning the inevitable cries of outrage about milking a title, turning into EA, etc etc.
Amen to that, meum amicum....

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Didn't Daggerfall have randomly generated terrain?

I do agree, they need to make all of Tamriel in HD graphics, with full towns and the like. I'm frankly shocked that we haven't seen mods for using the blank Cyrodill map.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Because Daggerfall and Redguard were better than Oblivion and Skyrim. Why is this so hard to understand?

Likewise, Monkey Island 1 and 2 were better than 4 and 5, so the HD remakes were worth it (even though the originals looked better).