Could someone tell me the pros and cons of having a PS3?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I'm getting pretty tired of hearing PSN isnt as good as xbox live. NO SHIT SHERLOCK. You pay yearly for xbox live, obviously it is going to be better. If you HAD to pay yearly for PSN, it would be just as good as live or better, no doubt.

Yagharek

Jun 9, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
I'm getting pretty tired of hearing PSN isnt as good as xbox live. NO SHIT SHERLOCK. You pay yearly for xbox live, obviously it is going to be better. If you HAD to pay yearly for PSN, it would be just as good as live or better, no doubt.
Bit fanboyish there. There's no reason to assume PSN would do a better job than Live.

Anyhow, dude asked for pros and cons of the console, and it's a definete difference. Maybe he'll think it's a pro because PSN is cheaper, or a con because it isn't as good, but it's still something that definetely deserves a mention. What would you prefer? Pros and cons barring things that the consoles do differently?

Jun 7, 2010
All of the above are very good, its cheapest out of the other consoles, ive only ever come across 3 or 4 racist american 10 year olds ever ( only on MW2 though) and the internet browser is a little bit glitchy but is still awesome ( actually im posting from my PS3 right now)

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Get whichever you want. In my honest oppinion, despite the different exclusives and the Difference in quality and price in Live, I don't see many differences between the two. The controllers are about the same, the graphics are only slightly better on one, and they both have their good parts and their bad parts.
Xbox 360 = better online (for a cost) and many more FPS titles.
Playstation 3 = Free online (at the cost of lower quality) and more 3rd person action games.
In my oppinion, it depends on what games you like.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
The pros?

Longer friends list then Xbox
Better graphics
Blu-ray..need I describe more?
Home (in my opinion)

cons;

update times take FOEVER
can't play music durring everything like xbox (sadly)
movie rentals only last 28 hours (?)
more spam/forewards than xbox

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Honest question: Why do so many people say that the PS3 is too expensive when it costs the same as the 360? I don't get it.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
I myself are a PS3-owner and can say this:

Pros:
- Has a Blu-Ray player built in.
- Exclusives like Uncharted 1&2, Ratchet and Clank, InFamous etc.
- Free internet play.

Cons:
- The controller is utter shite (The one on the 360 is better imo.)
- It seems like a lot less Escapists owns one.
- BluRay discs reads slow as hell (case in point: GTA4 has to be installed in order for the loading times to be remotely bearable)

May 5, 2010
Pros: You get to play Uncharted 2, Resistance 2, and God of War 3. Plus you can watch Blu-ray movies and DVDs. You know, in case you don't already own a DVD player.(These are very big pros. Except the DVD player thing.)

Cons: I don't know, the price is still pretty high and frankly the controller isn't as good as the Xbox's, but that's just my opinion. Oh yeah, and the online is kind of shitty compared to Xbox live, even considering the racist toddlers.

Awake-

Jun 7, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Pros: You get to play Uncharted 2, Resistance 2, and God of War 3. Plus you can watch Blu-ray movies and DVDs. You know, in case you don't already own a DVD player.(These are very big pros. Except the DVD player thing.)

Cons: I don't know, the price is still pretty high and frankly the controller isn't as good as the Xbox's, but that's just my opinion. Oh yeah, and the online is kind of shitty compared to Xbox live, even considering the racist toddlers.
You missed MGS4 and Infamous. Anyway yeah the controller, to me, isn't total shit but doesn't compare to a 360 controller. It just feels too light for me.

Oh and uh, you recharge the controller by connecting it to the PS3, with Xbox 360 you have to buy batteries. Still prefer the latter though, the wire is too damn short.

Carnagath said:
Honest question: Why do so many people say that the PS3 is too expensive when it costs the same as the 360? I don't get it.
Because the 360 is too expensive as well.

e2density

Dec 25, 2009
Pros:
Blu Ray
Don't have to pay for online play (like Live)

Cons:
Less of an online community, not as large

JuryNelson

Mar 3, 2010
I just made the switch myself, and I can tell you that I'll never go back. Blu-rays and free online are nice, but they wouldn't make me give a shit.

No, the reason I switched and the reason I'll never switch back is the reason anyone should choose a console: The games. PS3-Exclusive games are more right for me than XBOX-exclusive ones. I'll never say they're better, because what does that mean?

but with Xbox you have stuff like Left 4 Dead, Halo, Fable, (Also Alan Wake, which almost made me go back, but no. Doubt is Death) stuff that I've tried and it's simply not for me.

PS3, on the other hand, has the developers of my two favorite game series ever (Sly Cooper and Jak & Daxter) on the friggin' payroll. Then there' inFamous, Flower, and Blu-rays again.

That said, as you may already know or will soon find out, Outside of the actual "Game" part of the equation, the 360 is better in almost every way. The store works better, Online play works better, finding new demos works better, knowing about 'what's new!' works better, the whole interface just makes more sense.

There is a certain kind of game that gets made for the XBox, and I do not want that kind of game. I want inFamous. And I will pay more up front for the privilege of being entertained in this way. Enjoy. And buy inFamous.

Also, when it comes out, buy the Sly HD collection. From a purely academic standpoint, these games do an incredible job of covering how gaming evolved on the PS2.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
My experience with the PS3 has been thus.

Bought it. Played through Littlebig planet, inFamous, Resistance 1 & 2, the first 3 levels of Killzone 2. Not played it since for longer than 10 minutes, in almost a year.

To its credit however, Littlebig planet is AWESOME. Overall can't say I reccomend the console if you have a 360 already (Unless you wanna watch bluray films), the exlusives are really good but they don't warrant the cost of the console.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Judgement101 said:
migo said:
Frequen-Z said:
But it costs a heap and you have to install games.
The latter is more tedious than a real problem, the former isn't true. When you factor in Xbox Live Gold simply for the privilege of playing online a 360 costs twice as much over the life of the console than a PS3, and that's not factoring in that you'll easily go through two 360s while a PS3 is still going strong.

PS3 is the cheapest of the 3 consoles as far as long term cost goes. With the Wii you end up paying a bunch for all the accessory controllers, for the 360 you're paying for stuff that comes included with the PS3 and for being able to play online.
Thats not true about going through two 360s. Me and 5 of my friends all have 360s and none of them have crashed/RRoD and we have had them for around 4 years. My PS3 on the other hand yellow lighted within a year.
There are always exceptions. Reliability issues for the Xbox 360 are well known, and to suggest it isn't true is absolutely ridiculous.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
To be honest it's like the 360, great games and the newer models won't break. If you like playing games get one, it's that simple. You won't be dissapointed in getting one even if you already have a 360 because then you can play all of the exclusive games like Alan Wake (360) and Heavy Rain (PS3).

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
migo said:
A friend of mine with a 60GB launch PS3 recently started having some problems, but I know two more with launch models who still have none.

I don't know anyone with a PS3 who isn't happy with it, while I know plenty who are unhappy with their 360s.
you can add my ps3 to your problem free list, and my 2 xbox360s to the broken list.(I'm on my third atm)

OT: the pros have all been said, but my favorite one is the backwards compatibility which is, ironically, the one removed in later versions. (mine is a 60gb launch as mentioned above)