Could streaming games revolutionize the gaming industry?

CoffeeGuru

Mar 28, 2009
Greymantle said:
Turtleboy1017 said:
Well, the "monthly fee" doesn't sound very promising...
No kidding. Plus, I feel that initially this setup will only work for low end arcade style games, but I guess it's a start to something new and bigger years down the road.
But at the moment, they're streaming Crysis with full detailed settings, no lag at GDC. That's a step up from most arcade-style games, don't you think?

Jaedon

Feb 8, 2009
What I wonder more is, how many people are going to upgrade their pc again when the next step up from games like Crysis comes out or are going to wait out and see if this thing is all that it promises to be? I myself am going to be waiting, hoping, pleading, begging to Buddha that it is.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
I've heard that there are minor problems, and the video still comes in a few milliseconds late. While that might not be a big deal for some games, it means a lot for others, so I see OnLive being limited to "casual" gamers. I also dislike the monthly fee that is likely to come with it (so canceling it means you can't play the games you bought?). I mean, at least Steam is free, so as long as I have internet I can play those games.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
balimuzz said:
stinkychops said:
balimuzz said:
It's not going to work, because broadband providers are going to cap the download speeds that are required for streaming the games from OnLive very quickly. The download speed needed is atrocious, and there are only a few places in the U. S. where it's going to work. The rest of the world doesn't get it, and the Midwest doesn't get it. This isn't going to be successful, but when it fails, and drives the company to bankruptcy, they will auction of the tech necessary for their service to a different company, such as Microsoft or Sony (Nintendo is making too much off the Wii to give a shit). Hopefully, with a little more money behind the project, the download speeds could get lowered, and the service could work. That's when I'm going to start caring about OnLive. I just want them to fail quicker so we can get this thing for real.
Exactly, I don't see how this could beat actually owning the data on a disk and uploading it to a hard-drive.
It could, but not without a perfect system. Steam is incredibly successful.
Agreed.

In my case it's more about my monthly download quota, not my speeds. Here in Australia at least, there isn't anyone who will be able to use this effectively.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
I would never use it. XboxLive and all it's familiars can stay where they are and I'll continue to use my computer how it was originally intended to be used.

CoffeeGuru

Mar 28, 2009
Zeeky_Santos said:
CoffeeGuru said:
I'm not sure if anyone else has been following the company OnLive, but there's definitely potential for MAJOR change in the way games are stored and played. Essentially, the company intends to use cluster computing to turn any computer or television into a hi-res gaming machine for the cost of a monthly fee, similar to X-Box Live.

Check out the intro video at http://www.onlive.com/ and let me know what you think. Personally, I'm skeptical... but what if it *did* work?
we've had this debate a million times, use the search button, just type "onlive" or "on live" and you will find it. its not going to work because no computer is large enough to facilitate so much action from around the world, and on top of that it has lag potential. think about it. in a normal situation your controller (of choice) and monitor talk to your desktop (less than a metre away, small cable lag) and then your desktop talks to the internet to give and receive information. with this all it is doing it making the distance your controller and monitor have to communicate far greater, the info of you left clicking will have to travel through the internet to get there, and then come back to your screen. this will not work
You say that no computer is large enough to facilitate so much information from around the world. I agree. That's why cluster, or cloud, computing is so powerful. It's not one computer at work... it's thousands, hundreds of thousands, and potentially much more.

The lag is another valid concern. However, that being said, take a look at the trends of the tech industry in the past couple decades. Nearly forty years ago, the first couple of pings were sent between two computers in California... and that took a bit of lag. As I stated previously, phone lines were the norm for internet services ten years ago. Less than three years ago, streaming full television episodes would have seemed to be an impossible task. What's to say streaming video and I/O devices isn't around the corner in another year or two?

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
AverageJoe said:
balimuzz said:
stinkychops said:
balimuzz said:
It's not going to work, because broadband providers are going to cap the download speeds that are required for streaming the games from OnLive very quickly. The download speed needed is atrocious, and there are only a few places in the U. S. where it's going to work. The rest of the world doesn't get it, and the Midwest doesn't get it. This isn't going to be successful, but when it fails, and drives the company to bankruptcy, they will auction of the tech necessary for their service to a different company, such as Microsoft or Sony (Nintendo is making too much off the Wii to give a shit). Hopefully, with a little more money behind the project, the download speeds could get lowered, and the service could work. That's when I'm going to start caring about OnLive. I just want them to fail quicker so we can get this thing for real.
Exactly, I don't see how this could beat actually owning the data on a disk and uploading it to a hard-drive.
It could, but not without a perfect system. Steam is incredibly successful.
Agreed.

In my case it's more about my monthly download quota, not my speeds. Here in Australia at least, there isn't anyone who will be able to use this effectively.
thirded.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Well the Air Forces around the world use Flight Simulators (and not Microsoft versions either) which connect to different bases across the world for training, the lag (and im not joking) from Australia to America is a whopping 0.45 seconds. Sadly most houses dont have 20 Million for such Cabling.

OT: Since some Countries, Areas and Antartica have either Horrid internet, cant support ADSL 2+ (if there is a 3) and (In Antartica's Case) doesnt have real internet providers they would (like mentioned) go skimp broke in a matter of time.

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
I don't think this would work that much, if you had enough money for the monthly fee, you'd own a computer with 4 graphics cards in, thus, you wouldn't need it.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
AverageJoe said:
While not quite true, as some ISPs do provide an unlimited quota, that is a very small percentage in comparison to those of us who don't.
So I concur. It shan't be taking of in Australia for a very long time to come.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Caimekaze said:
AverageJoe said:
While not quite true, as some ISPs do provide an unlimited quota, that is a very small percentage in comparison to those of us who don't.
So I concur. It shan't be taking of in Australia for a very long time to come.
Yeah, and the unlimited quotas are insanely expensive. I think it's only really businesses that have them.

That's the biggest thing I miss about living in England. Decent speed unlimited broadband is very affordable over there. It was a biiig adjustment for a download whore like myself. I used to have nights where I would download nearly 20GB overnight... The number of terabytes I must have downloaded over the past few years is embarassing to think about. :|

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
Probably not, and even if so I sure as hell wouldn't buy them. I want my games right here, accessible whenever I damn well want to play them, not when my ISP is feeling benevolent.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
AverageJoe said:
That's the biggest thing I miss about living in England. Decent speed unlimited broadband is very affordable over there.
But you get the Aussie weather now, surely a worthwhile trade?

Anyway, I think the biggest problem OnLive faces is actually getting games. They are going to have the job of a time convincing publishers to make games compatible with their console.
Consider that the only successful new console makers in the last 15 years have been Sony and Microsoft, they can't possibly bring the same amount of cash to the table those two had to play with.
Not to mention that downloadable games pretty much belong to Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and Valve. There isn't an obvious niche for OnLive to be filling, which doesn't bode well against such well established competition.

I also think OnLive is going to be heinously expensive, regardless of what the advertising spiel says a microtransaction powered system will cost players as much or a lot more than normal games (just like 'free' MMORPG's).

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
If game streaming does kick off well, it will be in urbanised areas only. That doesn't make financial success impossible, just a lot harder.

Spread out populations without access to cable, relying on overly expensive broadband, will not be capable of it. Therefore, Australia is out. And since that's where I live, I'll be very annoyed if Onlive somehow becomes the main way to play games. It's a really unlikely scenario though, because of things like the fact that selling games in a hard form is more lucrative. Thankfully.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Bah, this would certainly revolutionize gaming. In a terribly disgusting way. I can already imagine it. Insert coin to continue playing kind off commercial bullshit.
The reason I don't play WoW is because (well besides the fear of becoming addicted) I would have to pay monthly fees. If you don't keep paying, you won't be playing. I want to be able to play the game whenever I want with one single purchase.

Please don't make this succeed. Please everybody, boycott these fluckers trying to introduce this. Only malice and agony will come of it. Maybe they will make it sound nice and cheap, but I'm pretty sure we will all pay much more then necessary in the long run.

This post is slightly written out of ignorance, but I have the strongest feeling we will be screwed over if ever this will be introduced

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
CoffeeGuru said:
Evidently, OnLive already has agreements with the major broadband providers to ensure minimal packet loss. They've been working for the past 8 years developing the technology to compress high-quality video and filed over 100 patents to show for it.
It doesn't matter. One way or another bits needs to be turned into packets, and packets need to go through routers and streams of data needs to be proccessed unhindered without delay and the numbers just don't lie. OnLive promises to be able to stream games in a 720p resolution at a whopping 60 frames per second. I don't need to remind anyone of what kind of ridiculous ammounts of data that is not to even mention the ammount of processing power that is needed to compress that kind of video in real-time and stream it to clients.
While streaming video on a large scale has been around for quite some time, streaming 720p @ 60FPS on a large scale is a treat that nobody has ever been able to do, much less on such a grand global state across North America and Europe.

As for boradband providers, some of the larger ISPs have been aggressively enfocing bandwidth caps, Comcast and most notebly Time Warner Cable in Texas that limits consumers to an embarrasing 40GB cap per month. [http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/06/40gb-for-55-per-month-time-warner-bandwidth-caps-arrive.ars] Streaming video in 720p at 60FPS will easily break that cap in one week, even less if you're a heavy gamer.

Unless they have some magic space-age technology computers, it doesn't matter how hard you compress it or for how long you've been working on it. It's just simply not possible and to put a final nail in the coffin for this one - this is supposed to work on a 1-5Mbit connection and the service is supposed to be fully operation in less than 8 months.