Could 'Xbox TV' have worked?

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
I was just flicking through a really good article on how Microsofts plan to make the Xbox One a TV device failed ( http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-why-xbox-ones-media-strategy-failed if anyone's interested ), and it's clear that Microsoft believed that it had the gaming market cornered (from a lot of reports EA seemed convinced they did too and threw a lot of weight behind them to their amusing loss).

Obviously it all fell to pieces because they completely ignored the core market, but there's a lot of interesting concepts they had to do with interactive TV, input and original programming that will never come to pass. Do you think it might have worked if only they hadn't been so ridiculous with their gaming policies? Or hell, just releasing a set top box instead of trying to force their gaming division to act as one?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
While it is an interesting read, Fact is the Xbox One just didn't work. The design compromises to get these interesting features were not worth the payoff for every other function the machine was supposed to do (and by every other function I mean the primary purpose of the freaking machine as a videogame player)

You could design the most amazing singing toaster, that uses nanotechnology and quantum mechanics in a way never concieved before by mankind to turn the heating of the bread inside into an audible, beautiful chorus and harmony, creating wonderful rhythms and melodies, but if the side effect of this is that the toaster actually does a really crap job at turning the bread into toast then it fails at it's primary purpose, no longer makes sense as a 'toaster', and will lose out to the cheaper, more reliable toasters.

In the same way, the videogame console the Xbox One may have been able to do wonderful things with TV and other media, but the creations of those things negatively impacted it's ability to perform as a gaming console - the primary purpose of the machine - so much that it rendered it more expensive, less powerful, and more intrusive when compared to the alternative on the market (the cheaper, more powerful, less intrusive PS4.)

Then again, I am incredibly tired right now, and I just compared the Xbox One's business model to that of an imaginary singing toaster. So take this post with a pinch of salt. (I think I really need to go to bed now. Good Night Escapist.)

StormwaveUK

Feb 1, 2011
I think what Microsoft failed to realise was that the boom of Kinect sales were not going to be repeated very easily. Despite it's sales, the Kinect was a failure in almost every respect. I really tried to like it, but it simply didn't work, or was a lot more effort than it was worth. For example, Kinectimals, perfect for my five year old...but it wouldn't recognise him as he was too small. Most people who bought Kinect 1 were probably not going to buy Kinect 2, so making it mandatory was a bad move.

Their idea was make Kinect work with TV and everything, but Kinect barely worked in the first place. Kinect 2 was an improvement, sure, but the user base was already out off by that point.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It might have worked as an exclusive feature for the xbone, IF MS didn't piss off the world with its attempt at super DRM and force the Kinect on them. Even after backtracking on both, it was far to late for xbox tv. Still the exclusive shows would probably only attract potential buyers on the fence about which since to get who might be interest in Halo shows, so it might not have really lasted long anyways. I guess MS spent too much time thinking about making a locked down all in one media hub that is the only place to watch some new tv shows instead of a good video game system and a production studio that could promote xbox games.

bishopzz

Apr 24, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
While it is an interesting read, Fact is the Xbox One just didn't work. The design compromises to get these interesting features were not worth the payoff for every other function the machine was supposed to do (and by every other function I mean the primary purpose of the freaking machine as a videogame player)

You could design the most amazing singing toaster, that uses nanotechnology and quantum mechanics in a way never concieved before by mankind to turn the heating of the bread inside into an audible, beautiful chorus and harmony, creating wonderful rhythms and melodies, but if the side effect of this is that the toaster actually does a really crap job at turning the bread into toast then it fails at it's primary purpose, no longer makes sense as a 'toaster', and will lose out to the cheaper, more reliable toasters.

In the same way, the videogame console the Xbox One may have been able to do wonderful things with TV and other media, but the creations of those things negatively impacted it's ability to perform as a gaming console - the primary purpose of the machine - so much that it rendered it more expensive, less powerful, and more intrusive when compared to the alternative on the market (the cheaper, more powerful, less intrusive PS4.)

Then again, I am incredibly tired right now, and I just compared the Xbox One's business model to that of an imaginary singing toaster. So take this post with a pinch of salt. (I think I really need to go to bed now. Good Night Escapist.)
That' is not the best comparison, because I would definitely rather buy the singing toaster. That may explain why I bought the Xbone.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
StormwaveUK said:
I think what Microsoft failed to realise was that the boom of Kinect sales were not going to be repeated very easily. Despite it's sales, the Kinect was a failure in almost every respect. I really tried to like it, but it simply didn't work, or was a lot more effort than it was worth. For example, Kinectimals, perfect for my five year old...but it wouldn't recognise him as he was too small.
Infuriating, isn't it - when they need to access menus and you have to step in the way and do it for them and in turn it won't recognize you because it's configured and slanted down for them? One of the best games ever made for the kinect are Kinect Party and Happy Action Theater (same thing really). Just load the game and let them have fun - if (and when) they learn the advanced controls they can do more with it.