Could you amputate your own arm?

rowanfield

Sep 12, 2010
well in that precise situation, his arm was mangled any way if i recall correctly, and if it was a life - death situation, then yeah, i guess.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
Hell yeah! I mean, how painful can it beAAAAARRRRHHHHHHH!!!!

In seriousness, no. Probably not.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
No, because I would definitely die of blood loss, and even if I figured out how to put a tourniquet, I'd still be too tired to move due to the lack of blood. Besisdes, I don't think I'd be able to take the pain.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I think I'd need a chainsaw and a one-liner [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzXk3nfEdMY], but yeah.

alexdulcianu

Apr 7, 2010
We all say we can endure all the pain in the world, even though the worst pain most of us suffered was stubbing our toes in the coffee table (and even then we had to try real hard not to cry). But think about cutting your skin, then your flesh, and then your fucking bone with a butter knife. 90% of us will quit after the first slash, at the sight of blood.

But, there's one possible instance in which I might do it. If my hand was trapped under a rock, and there was this huge beast thing coming to get me from a few hundred meters away, the adrenaline boost and the fear might give me enough strength to pull it off. Otherwise, I would rather try cracking the rock with my forehead instead.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
It all depends on what I would be doing it with. If I had to use a cheap pocket knife, there's no way. I couldn't just slice through all that flesh and muscle and saw at the bone until it was weak enough to snap off, then cut off the remaining flesh. But if it would be instant, I probably could.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I would probably consider it. Can't say for sure.
Though... wasn't his arm rotten by the time he amputated it anyways?

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
hmm after 5 days with a lack of water/food and only a blunt penknife/leatherman I think it would be suprising if you didn't cut off your own arm. Mind you i wouldn't blame you for hestitating at the part where you have to cut your tendons.

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
Valkyira said:
if you were trapped and the only way to survive was for you to amputate your own arm without anaesthetic, would you?
Yeah, I would if I were able to do it in one swing, like whith a machete or sword.... or something.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
yea, all I have to do is cutoff blood circulation to that arm somehow and that would make the pain much less severe for me ,no idea if thats accurate, but LOL, worth a try :3

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
I would never have ended up in his situation.

But...

I think if pushed enough, I would be able to amputate my left arm, not my right. Just.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
In that situation where I know I'm going to die within a day if I remain trapped yes it would be easier if I knew the limb was gone anyhow like he did. I'm not saying it would be easy but if it my life or my arm thats not even really a decision in my book.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
No, I'm far too wimpy to do that.

Well, maybe in a survival setting I could, but I'd rather it not happen.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
In a situation like that, no way. I don't think I could.
Put my arm in a slicing device, hold the trigger in my other hand and put me under so when I go to sleep it slices my arm, sure. I can live without either arm.
Thank God for my abnormal interest in ambidexterity.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
My survival instinct isn't that powerful, so I don't think so. But who knows, that desperation feeling might just kick in and make me do it.

KILLERTHING said:
Hell no i cant play game one handed
I know, right? What a hassle that would be.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I go through life following the rule that any predicament can be solved with diplomacy. So I guess I would ask the rick to politely move or ask my arm to kindly fall off so that I don't have to do it.