Could you do this for the price of world peace?

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Since it's j ust hypothetical I'll ignore the large stretch of imagination required for this to be an actual situation and say:

Without any hesitation yes. I don't buy into the "babies and innocent and special and lovely and cute" rubbish, they're just people. Very, very young people. So the price is to torture a person, one that will maybe only suffer physical scarring if any, for the sake of saving potentially billions from emotional and physical scarring and even death. Just yes. So many people suffer so much more than that one child I would need to torture. It's the sensible choice. Actually being able to do it might be a problem because I'm pacifist, struggle to even joking punch friends. Violence isn't in my nature. But I'd be willing to try for the benefits it would reap.

Quick edit: This being said, it depends on the specific type of world peace it means. I'm just assuming here it means no physical conflicts or issues. But mental conflict, disagreeing, competition etc, that's pretty essential and fine to keep. So no if it was the sort of perfect world where nobody is ever disappointed, made fun of or disagreed with sort of thing, but yes if it's just the end of physical violence.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
OneCatch said:
Can I take the Republican definition of 'baby' and proceed to torture 40 cells?
This.

Also, still. That's a decision you can't really make until you're faced with it for real. So I have no clue. I don't really like babies tho. Loud, drooling, annoying. Not having kids. Ever.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Justify saving the faceless many by the suffering of a faceless one? Of course this is the internet and things are so delightfully abstract and free of consequence or reasonable introspection. The beauty of it all, and the sheer simplicity of thought, no matter how twisted, sick or disturbing the reasoning exists.

No, I wouldn't torture a baby, because then all that has been gained is the proof that world peace can never exist, because then you've shown that one person is willing to torture an innocent for their own ends and is capable of justifying and rationalizing it. What's to stop another who believes what they're doing is right and pure from carrying out another heinous act like that? There are already people in this world today who willingly murder children to achieve their objectives and sincerely believe that what they're doing is right and true and reasonable.

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
TheVioletBandit said:
I think your confusing torture with murder.
Maybe I am just searching for an excuse to do it at that point.

Sparky12 said:
So, who's all still up for torturing that baby?
I still am!

Eddie the head said:
No the ends don't justify the means. You are harming the innocent, why you are doing it doesn't matter.
Far more innocent are hurt for far less noble reasons everyday.

NightmareLuna said:
Hell yeas! Not for world peace, but to get the chance to torture a baby without facing prison.
That was my thought when I posted too.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Not unless I know WHY torturing this baby will bring World Peace. Only an insane person would torture a baby because he thought it'd bring world peace.

Seriously why are moral choice discussions always "Will you do for ?" where X could never happen or would never correlate to Y?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Yep. It helps that babies don't really look like people and can't beg me to stop with words.

It would honestly be a much harder question if you asked the same but substituted "baby" for. . . well someone I know and care about beyond belong to the same species.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Considering that I believe that humans are inherently evil, and violence is our natural state, and that world peace is unattainable, no.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
Risingblade said:
idodo35 said:
Risingblade said:
I don't want to live in a world where torturing a baby brings peaces, what kind of sick twisted place would that be...
what if you made a deal with the devil or some magic stuff? it wont be the torture that brought peace but the deal...
Would you really trust a deal that involved torturing a baby? Wouldn't' that seem suspicious to you?
good point... but it wont mean the world is fucked up and we are assuming it works...

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
If i'm honest i would love to say i would do it for world peace.

But when im stood over this baby with a knife or such in my hand and it smiles at me... i couldn't do it.

Ill take the fact i denied world peace on my shoulders, chances are world peace wouldn't last all it takes is 1 person to get greedy, or think god had a turban instead of a baseball cap and its on.