Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Beta Delayed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Beta Delayed

In what will probably be the day's least shocking news, the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive closed beta has been delayed.

Valve said back in August that the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive beta was expected to begin sometime in October [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112634-Counter-Strike-Global-Offensive-Stays-True-to-the-Source]. At this moment there are roughly ten hours of October left, which means that if this thing is going to happen, Valve will really need to get a move on. And here's a hint for the die-hard optimists among you: it's not going to happen.

Valve's Chet Faliszek said in a recent interview that the beta was "delayed a bit" after a handful of professional gamers spent some time with the game. "They gave us a lot of feedback on things we should get in the game before we release it, otherwise we're going to be getting a lot of bug reports or a lot of feedback that would just be redundant because we already know we should fix those issues," he said. "Just knowing there's some feel and some 'operating the game' issues that need to be resolved first, we want to get those done first."

"October is getting scary now," he continued. "We are testing those changes but we can't just put in everything at once, you need to put them in steps so you can evaluate the individual changes. We're pushing as hard as we can on that."

The beta will begin with about 10,000 people, he said, and will grow incrementally as Valve tests server infrastructure and scalability. The first group of beta testers will be looking primarily for crash issues rather than matters of gameplay, which has the potential to slow the beta down, but eventually the gates will be thrown open to everyone, and it will run for as long as it needs to.

"When does it end? When the community tells us it ends," he said. "We have no mandate from anybody of when we have to ship this, and so we're more than happy to just keep working on it until it's ready to ship."

Source: CVG [http://eseanews.com/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=10303]

Apr 28, 2008

Oh Valve, you so Valve.

I look forward to playing this when it comes out next summer. Or fall. Possibly winter.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"When does it end? When the community tells us it ends," he said. "We have no mandate from anybody of when we have to ship this, and so we're more than happy to just keep working on it until it's ready to ship."
Know what this means, guys? We'll get the CS:GO beta while we wait for the 6 years it'll take for the full game to be released.

I'm perfectly fine with this.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
I saw the two live alpha build games between the US and EU teams. It was something to behold. I was glued to the monitor until the end. Needless to day I am excited to see what else Valve adds into the game and for the finished product itself...which we will all probably see next year.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
So basically they gave it to a load of professional gamers, who said "This is shit."

So Valve have taken it back to make it good.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Ok, let's be honest, is anyone really surprised by this?

...what? You in the back, you're actually surprised?

Well better they give us a beta that works late as opposed to a beta that doesn't *COUGHbattlefield3COUGH* >.>

To those here that can't wait for it anymore, here's some footage of the first competitive match in CS:GO to hold you off until the beta is out:

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, that wasn't very surprising.
Also, i wonder, how does one get into a closed beta?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Owlslayer said:
Well, that wasn't very surprising.
Also, i wonder, how does one get into a closed beta?
I got in by getting a code from Chet himself after playing it at the EuroGamer Expo a month ago. I got a T-shirt too :)

Sadly it was on PS3 (the only platform I don't own), so it was pretty hard to enjoy it.

Can't wait for it to unlock on Steam.