Counter-Strike GO

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
I just turned on my 360 and saw this. I had no clue it was out or even coming. I spent many an hour of my early teenage years playing Counter-Strike and wondering if this version is worth getting.

Merobots

Aug 21, 2012
I was lucky enough to have access to the Beta many months ago and in my opinion, I didn't find it as substantial or satisfying as Counter Strike Source. I'm sure many will find it a refreshing breeze as an 'upgraded' CSS, however, in my personal opinion; Stick with Counter Strike Source (or Counter Strike if thats your 'thang).

I await someone to shoot down my opinion and thus continue this thread in the way it should. Let nature take it's course.

chocolatekeith

Jul 12, 2010
I like it.
Better menus, better hitboxes, easier to find vanilla servers, and if you die you can take control of bots.

The twitch demanding gameplay is still there, so I am probably going to play it as long as the community stays strong.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
No spray option. Therefore I'm not planning on upgrading! :D Also it just felt weird compared to CS:S or any of the other source games.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I quite like it so far, not least because fans of the older CS games don't seem to, so now I can actually get a couple of kills in before I die :']

Blarkuntvhite

Feb 19, 2011
Counter-Strike: GO f*ck yourself. lol I'm witty.

I heard that some ancient Counter-Strike players didn't like this one because "IT'S NOT THE SAME ENOUGH!" which makes me very interested in it.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Blarkuntvhite said:

I heard that some ancient Counter-Strike players didn't like this one because "IT'S NOT THE SAME ENOUGH!" which makes me very interested in it.
I played some CS source for a bit, I never bought the original because despite how praised it was it looked worse than Goldeneye 64......but CSGO? Actually really fun. I mean, granted its almost the same game but more bells and whistles (and better gun balance) I think its better than the predecessors. The old grumps need to realize that if they want the same game, they can go play the old one. Sequels are never going to be 100% the same game, why anyone thinks so is blinded by nostaligia and stupidity.

To those who say its too generic, its Counterstrike, the reason its played is for its oldschool feel and gunplay. No regen health, instaknifekills, kill streaks, grindy progression system, etc etc.

PLUS ITS ONLY 15 BUCKS. Thats an amazing price.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Blarkuntvhite said:

Ah the predictable cries of the hardcore Counter-Strike fans. They complained with the jump from CS 1.5 to CS 1.6 when it moved to Steam and represented the death of all they held dear. They complained again when CS:S came out and apparently murdered their families. Now CS:GO is out and one can only assume has begun amputating their mouse hands.

Anyway, I've been playing CS off and on for months at a time since the original CS was on Beta 3.0 or 3.1, and I'll say right now that I think GO is a nice update to CS:S. Easily worth the $15. It has some new modes and I'll grant that it feels a bit different than the others (I want to say it feels a bit faster), but that's not a bad thing. It's still CS in every way that matters.

I just hope they update the buy menu with preset load outs like they did in CS:S.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
The AWP is still as overpowered as ever then again it wouldn't be counterstrike without it I guess *sigh*

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
From what I played of the beta, it doesn't seem like they've done much to differentiate it from CSS apart from updating the graphics. In my opinion its not worth buying if you already have CSS.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it's a bit better looking more of the same, I kinda expected Valve to do add their own touch but that isn't happening these days for some reason.

Hey at least they don't charge you $60 for it, plus $15 for every new map and gun...

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
It's an ok game, haven't played it after the official release, but I played a bit during the early beta, and then again during the pre-launch beta which had a lot of changes and fixes.
It's hard for Valve to please everyone though. If they really go forth and make it a proper CS 2.0, then there's gonna be people crying all over how "this is too different and not CS, CoD ruined this!". However, keeping too much of the same golden formula will instead have people whining "It's the same game, graphics sux".

Some good points about the game though is that it's cheap, and finally an official release for current-gen consoles. They've fixed the surround sound engine, added options that affect your PoV depending on if you play in your couch or in front of your PC and it's fully playable with controllers.
Minor visual changes are for instance that they've removed character selection, and instead have each team feature randomly different-looking characters from the same faction. So instead of having a rag-tag group of american special forces fighting finnish terrorist along with some guys from italy somewhere in the middle east. You'll now have more local factions fighting in slightly more native environments. They've also added 4 more factions to each team.
Weapons have been balanced and tweaked, like the removal of silenced weapons for the CTs, while also completely replacing other weapons, like the MP5->MP7. There's also a new molotov cocktail grenade that you can buy, and a diversion grenade that will make gun sounds and confuse the enemy (don't remember if they kept or removed it though).
Gun-game is also an official game-mode with custom maps. When playing Classic game-mode you can choose between Casual or Pro. Pro plays more like 1.6, while Casual for instance removes friendly fire and friendly collision (if anyone remembers how awful it can be to exit spawn with the jerky collision detection getting you stuck into other team mates and slowing you down). There's also a third game-mode that has shorter rounds and smaller maps, where you cycle through different weapons each turn depending on your performance in the last one. It's a bit difficult to understand, but might be taht they've changed it since I played it in the early beta.
Oh and there's obviously the tight integration with Steamworks, with achievements, avatars and nicknames, leaderboards and all that. I know a lot of these features were added to CSS in the 2010 (or was it 2011?) update, but this time it's there from the start and built around it.

That's all I can remember right now off the top of my head.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
It's certainly worth the price. But if you're like me, you'll wait until some interesting mods come out for it. By then it will probably have been on sale for even cheaper than it already is.

EDIT: Oh, wait. For 360? Then I honestly have no idea. Sorry, I always imagine CS to be a PC only title.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
I actually like it so far; the SMGs have not gotten real bullets instead of peas and they have taken steps to discourage excessive AWP usage, which always bothered me about CS: S.

Then again I stopped playing CS seriously years ago so I can't really comment on how well suited it is for competitive play, but for casual online FPS play it sure beats CoD by a long shot, and it feels slightly more forgiving than older CS games.

Besides, I don't see any use in complaining much about it because from what I recall it was never meant to take over anything, there are still 1.6 and Source communities and players and the games are still relevant as far as I'm concerned. If you don't like the way GO does things then stick to Source or 1.6, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't.

Though I do feel it's a bit more srs bsns than older games, where you could play as 1337 krewe and whatnot. I forgot the word I wanted to use to describe it, but it changes the atmosphere slightly.

Edit: I also just noticed that it mentioned the 360 specifically. I wouldn't really recommend CS games for console play, but GO is easily the one I'd recommend for console play. And I'd probably play GO on the 360 if I actually played 360.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
NLS said:
[All I got from this is that they tried to fix the weapon balance, and made the game servers easer to run, including features that are a good idea.]
Newby_Newb said:
Global Offensive is easily the worse version of Counter-Strike ever.
I don't want to be one of those people but...

CALLED IT!!

Hey, think people will use more than four weapons in CSGO? That's balanced gameplay for yah!
EDIT: Sorry, five weapons. Forgot the M4 and the 47 were different weapons.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
NathLines said:
It's certainly worth the price. But if you're like me, you'll wait until some interesting mods come out for it. By then it will probably have been on sale for even cheaper than it already is.

EDIT: Oh, wait. For 360? Then I honestly have no idea. Sorry, I always imagine CS to be a PC only title.
It was actually ported to the original Xbox but it wasn't a big success.

Honestly I like what they did to it. I just can't wait till the mods start flowing in. Zombie-Mod and Jail mostly.