Counterfeit Pokemon Game Tops App Charts

Weealzabob

Jun 4, 2011
I spotted that app the other day, for a split second I was quite excited about the prospect of playing it again, then two things struck me. Why would Nintendo allow Pokemon to be released on the app store for 69p, when people would likely pay 3 or 4 pound for it on their e-shop? And then I saw dozens of people rating it one star and basically saying that if the guy who released it was on fire, they wouldn't piss on him. So I passed.
Glad to see Apple refunded people their money.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Nintendo should really release pokemon on IOS. It might stop people from downloading nonofficial firmware on to said IOS device and then downloading pokemon. Think of the money both apple and nintendo.

(I am not endorsing downloading nonofficial firmware on to said IOS device and then downloading pokemon. Do not do it!)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Now this should tell Nintendo that we want to see the Pokemon games on the 3DS virtual console. They'd make a lot of easy cash that way.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Redlin5 said:
the IP is needed to sell the 3DS with the next version. A version I may end up not buying... For the first time in my life...
O_O

Am I reading this right? What sort of madness is this!? If it's because you don't own a 3DS, I'm sure one of us would gladly buy one for you. Can't be me, though, because I'm back to having no cash in my pockets. >.>

OT: This is the iOS's consumer base we're talking about. Of course it would reach #2 on the charts. These people know nothing of emulation or even *gasp* buying a Nintendo portable and their desired game! Let me actually check Amazon for something real quick...

Platinum GBASP - $39 used
Pokemon Yellow - $30 used

Okay...Maybe it is a bit more expensive than I thought. But there is eBay, and a GBA would allow the customer to play every Pokemon game from the first 3 generations. Seems way more reliable than most other sources.

On a side note, Nintendo really does need to get around to releasing the first 3 Pokemon generations on the 3DS Virtual Console. I'm getting really impatient regarding that.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
QEAB used rip-off
It wasn't very effective.
They're not paying for the refund. They just pocketed the money and left town. Apple is eating the losses.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
wait, so was this their plan all along? I can't really imagine them making money any other way, since Pokemon is Nintendo copyright?? So it was essentially dine and ditch?

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I knew something was wrong when "Pikatchu" just sat around the house smoking pot and eating Fig Newtons.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
scottxxxx667 said:
spectrenihlus said:
Hey Nintendo!!! Maybe you could oh I dunno release some of your games on the iphone and other smartphones there seems to be a market. Why fight apple when you get profit from them.
If they are going to release old games it will be through their own eShop on 3DS. Expecting them to put their own software on someone elses hardware because it has a larger market share would be like expecting apple to put the AppStore on Android or the iLife/iWork programs on Windows 7.
But Microsoft does sell Office for the Mac. Then again, their market share is so much bigger and more firmly entrenched already that they don't have to be afraid it of any negative consequences. Apple's market share on handheld games is what, ten times Nintendo's at this point, or something?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Speaking as someone who has released a game on the Apple App Store. I really want to know how this happen? My game was rejected twice before approved. Once for a trivial bug we didn't know we had, they really looked at our code and played our game. The other time was for the description be worded as if the game was incomplete(I had the line "Check for updates"), I just had to redo the description. The screener who let this through should be fired.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
is this an appropriate article to bring up the much ask for never will be seen poke'mon MMO that everybody that has ever played a poke'mon game has wanted since forever? especially because a real poke'mon on something other than gameboy would be just awesome.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Twelve seconds after reading this article, I have found a GameBoy emulator app. $4.99, you supply your own ROMs. If I wanted to play Pokemon yellow, I could play Pokemon yellow on my phone. But Pokemon IOS? Yeah, that would be neat.

Sucks to be Apple, though, having to fork up the lost cash.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
The biggest morons on this planet are those people who buy apps even though it is clearly a scam, then ***** about it in the reviews. Makes me mad as hell.
PEOPLE ARE YOU BLIND?! THE APP HAS 1 FUCKING STAR. SERIOUSLY, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?!

Nu-Hir

Aug 2, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
But Microsoft does sell Office for the Mac. Then again, their market share is so much bigger and more firmly entrenched already that they don't have to be afraid it of any negative consequences. Apple's market share on handheld games is what, ten times Nintendo's at this point, or something?
This would be relevant if the entire reason for Windows was to sell Office, which it's not. There are many other reasons to run Windows, Microsoft Office is just one of many. Supporting MacOS is advantageous for Microsoft because sales of Windows won't tank because of it. A drop in the sales of Windows only comes from the competition (Apple and the many flavors of Linux/Unix) being better.

If Nintendo ported their games for use on iOS, they are hurting the market share of their handhelds. Right now if someone wants to catch them all, they must first catch a 3DS (or GB/GBA/DS). Their handheld is made specifically for this game (and many others). Releasing Pokemon on the Apple would only make Nintendo's competition more popular, which is a bad thing for them.

That would be the equivalent of Nintendo releasing The Legend of Zelda on the Genesis because there was demand for it. Sure, people would have loved to have seen it, and would have paid good money for it, but in doing so they've lost one potential sale of an SNES. Putting Pokemon on iOS would stall sales for the 3DS, as people will no longer need one to play the game. If Nintendo isn't making money off of the 3DS, they have no reason to make portable games.

Why would they want to be restricted creatively by Apple, when they already have free reign to do what they want on their own systems? While Nintendo would get plenty of sales on other platforms, they're not getting them on the most important one, their own.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Everyone I know has already jailbroken their iphone and installed Gameboy emulators.